HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Good to hear.

Glad to know that the Champ is working for you!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
I think what I'll do in lieu is use the newer Eflite brick I bought last year that has DSM2 already on board and BL support (no ESC, just a programmable signal) I got the long throw version.

I'll then use a Turnigy 5A ESC that supports 1S operation, and use the BEC to drive the brick. I have done cross-channelling on my DX6i before, so no worries there.

Any thoughts whether I need to or should use the BEC on the ESC in lieu of direct battery connection?

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Fun with a friend's champ yesterday!

My two are in the service hangar for now, both Brushed motors are almost toast. Very low power output, though they got used a LOT last year...

As can be seen above, I am resurrecting my champ(s) with BL operation. Should be a fun project. I will start by testing the 1S power system and then decide which batteries (if 160s are not enough - NT160s) to use. I'll then initially retrofit my best champ for BL ops, and if this works well, fly it until it cannot fly anymore. I have a full set of parts to build a Champ from scratch, so I can then drop in the BL system into that.

I MAY just skip right to the new champ, and use the other two for parts. Not sure yet...

Anyway, I digress... my neighbour friend, Rob, has a champ he just repaired form a radio unlock mishap late last year. He got a new DX7s TX, so now he's flying like a madman! We flew in 20km/h wind, and Rob, a novice, already has the hang of his plane. 6 flights and he's doing touch and goes in the wind. Way to go my man!

I got a chance to run this plane (his) again for a few T&Gs as well. What a fun little plane. I miss mine, and can't wait to try a BL Champ!!!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
229 Posts
Flaps seem to slow and float the Champ better with that heavy 1S battery (and the those really satisfying 30+ minute flight times). Which brings up the next dragon to slay.

About 15 minutes into some pretty aggressive breeze flying last night, I felt like I was losing noticable power on climbout after each smash & go. So am I burning up a stock motor that I tortured twice a day with a beefier prop, all last summer?

Still a bit too much flap, really, so I'll drill them now and hope to keep some of the new lift and drag benefits without causing extra problems.

I already use a 5043 prop. Am I correct in thinking the P-51 motor would be the next step? No doubt I have plenty of battery to power it...
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Last edited by teflon97239; Apr 30, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, LA, Larose
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
I ordered a set of wheels for mine. It makes it look like a bush plane for sure.

\http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...rodID=PKZU1303

I took them off the wire and cut the white tubes to fit on my gear. took all of five minutes to do. Ill get a picture tonight.
shawn pierce is offline Find More Posts by shawn pierce
Old May 02, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
229 Posts
Yeah, the stock motor is smoked.
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old May 03, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, LA, Larose
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
here is the champ with the mosquito's wheels.
shawn pierce is offline Find More Posts by shawn pierce
Old May 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklind View Post
Is the stock Champ powerful enough to handle floats, or do I need to upgrade to a P-51 / Sukhoi motor or brushless?
I made floats per Jin Jin's plans on one of the Champ threads and they work great.
I didn't need to do anything to adjust the CG, it was spot on when the floats were installed. They can be installed and removed quickly to switch between any landing gear you are using and the floats.

I fly with Nano Tech 160's and the original motor and electronics. The Champ is almost 2 years old and will still take off from even astro turf with the floats in place.

Hope this helps your decision.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old May 03, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn pierce View Post
here is the champ with the mosquito's wheels.
Those wheels look awsome on the Champ!
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old May 04, 2012, 11:41 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,792 Posts
20 years ago, I build a couple of decent Rubber FF autogyros. I just bought a Champ fuse+electronics and I'm dusting off the plans box from yesteryear. How about a GiroChamp?

I'm thinking a low wing, about 35% of the stock area. This will give me a chance to try out one of the KF airfoils. Using it to give a wide base main LG.

The mast would be a basswood beam, running through a slit in the upper fuse, socketed in a plank running athwart the fuse, on the inside.

Maybe foam blades, instead of the balsa I used originally. I just bought a 100-ct box of the GENPACK 11418 14x18inch foam cafeteria trays. There's a whole micro plane in every tray.

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,538 Posts
Hi David. How thick are those trays? And if I may ask, how much? Ohh, and where did you get them Sir? Thanks
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Sorry I went back a few pages and didnt see this quetion but didnt quite feel like reading through all of the pages to find it either.

I want to upgrade the motor in my champ, I dont want any major modification just quick and easy, and most importanty CHEAP (not some $50+ mod)

Also Im curious about batteries, I dont want to cut the foam of the plane or need a new charger, Im looking for batteries that will charge off my old charger and fit right into the plane but increase its performance. The stock battery I hate, my two e-flite batteries I love and my Ares battery is in between.

Thanks
flyfisher117 is offline Find More Posts by flyfisher117
Old May 05, 2012, 08:52 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,538 Posts
Welcome Flyfisher. Let's see...MiniAviation 190's is the best battery. And a solo pro motor with a 5043 prop is a good setup.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 05, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Are there any different models of these motors? (Just so I dont buy the wrong one?

Also are there any US distributors of these batteries? Dont really want to pay international shipping.
flyfisher117 is offline Find More Posts by flyfisher117
Old May 05, 2012, 09:50 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,792 Posts
I got the 14X18-inch trays at www.webstaurantstore.com
Part is "Genpack 11418"
I just cut a small plug out of the bottom and it looks like it's 4.5-5mm thick
With shipping, each one ran about 50 cents.

Genpack apparently makes a bunch of sizes.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member