HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:19 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix sim - tail flip?

So, any of you that have Phoenix can you try and do a horizontal tail flip on it with a 3d plane? So far the only one I can get to do it is the Kyosho Edge. I've messed with the CG but all of the planes want to just do more of a nose-down spiral instead no matter what.

On FSOne I can get all the 3d planes to do this easily and nicely. Not sure if it's just a failure of Phoenix or something I need to change in the plane params besides obviously just CG.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
As an update I can kinda get it to happen when I do a tail flip using up elevator but I usually like to do a down elevator (ie: pull back on the stick) as it's more violent. Hmm. Wonder if it's me or the sim.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,130 Posts
what is a horizontal tail flip? I cant find any example on youtube...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:30 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
What I mean is when you have the plane horizontal (ie: left or right wingtip facing ground) and are doing end over end flipping. It's like a sideways spin. Phoenix on most planes won't allow me to get the plane truly horizontal but instead it's always about 45 degrees nose down.

Here is Aerofundan doing one starting at time 4:57:

PA Extra 260 - VOX 13x5 / CF VGs by Aerofundan (7 min 57 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,309 Posts
KE spin is what its called...and messing with pheonix at hobbytown i believe i could do them with the shurikan (sp?) but they were really lazy. Somebody in the 3dhs threads did a custom parameters version that works pretty well from what i understand, you can find it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608468
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
KE spin is what its called...and messing with pheonix at hobbytown i believe i could do them with the shurikan (sp?) but they were really lazy. Somebody in the 3dhs threads did a custom parameters version that works pretty well from what i understand, you can find it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608468

Yeah, KE spin. Forgot the name. I'll look for that params file as otherwise Phoenix kinda sucks for that. No surprise though as I bought it as a heli sim mainly.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,197 Posts
Forget the sim - you got the best tool to learn the KE spin in your hangar --- that 48" Edge. Next time we are out at Friendly I'll show you how to do it - it's really easy.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
Forget the sim - you got the best tool to learn the KE spin in your hangar --- that 48" Edge. Next time we are out at Friendly I'll show you how to do it - it's really easy.

MLT
I can do it in real life but my entries/exits are not always good. I agree it's generally easy but of course I need to do it much better. I also just want to be able to do in it Phoenix as it's fun to use the sim for practicing and annoying when it won't do things you know how to do.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
From that thread you linked to he says this:

"Phoenix also has good 3d airplane physics, but I find the smaller stuff to fly to be better. It dominates when it comes to helis. "

I think that too. The best flying 3d plane in Phoenix in my opinion is the Kyosho Edge. It wil KE spin.

He says that KE spins suck in Phoenix which is basically what I've found. Hence, guess for 3d planes other than that Kyosho I'll probably stick with FSOne which I feel is really, really accurate. I do like the other planes on Phoenix though like the model of my Hangar 9 Toledo Special.