Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
Discussion
Fly Fly Mirage 2000 build with Changesun 90mm 12 blade fan

Always liked the Mirage so the Fly Fly 90mm foam version had to be built. Chose the Changesun fan for its superb sound. Not built as a speed machine, but looking for scale looking performance and good flying qualities. Not keen on fiber-glassing so there are numerous strengthening mods made throughout.
The fan is powered by a Turnigy XK4060-1500 inrunner. Modified with cooling holes and a fairing. Dynamically balanced to give smooth power as quiet as possible. Used a Red Brick 200A ESC with built in BEC and 5500mah 6S 25C Gens Ace battery. Large plastic servoless retracts with home made steering system. Modified Hobby Topgun landing gear struts with alloy wheels should handle the paved or grass runways. Home made paddle style brakes were added to the main wheels. Additional details like improved inlet shape and cockpit. The plane was flown successfully yesterday so I will post a few details for those interested. Although this is an older design, it is a pretty good model for those willing to make some improvements for durability.

The vertical stab was modified to include a working rudder. I found it very flimsy until 2 carbon fiber strips were epoxied into the foam just ahead of the new rudder hinge line. Very strong and light. We didn't add fiberglass as we tried to keep it light.

The wing is rather flimsy so plenty of reinforcements were necessary.The trailing edge was warped and flimsy so a thin CF strip was epoxied along the hinge line. It is now straight. We moved the landing gear mounting area forward to improve ground handling. The axles are 1" behind the CG so takeoff rotation is made much easier. Foam scrap was used to fill the cavities in the wing under new 1/8" plywood LG mounts. 2 CF arrow shafts were added as spars. Very easy to cut into the foam with a sharpened tube of the same diameter. The flight control surfaces were spaced out with some 1/4" balsa to allow the proper wing curve to continue along to the tip. The fishing lines (to connect the brakes to the brake servos) were added once the final sheeting was in place. The stock "tape" hinges were a joke so new large pin hinges and 2 large flat hinges are glued in place.There is a thin CF spar sandwiched along the wing joint (from LE to TE) to stiffen the attachment points (as the wing will be removable).
The intakes were cut to give the scale gap between the fuselage and the edge was reinforced with styrene then sanded to a sharp edge. The stock intake cones were removed and new ones made from balsa and styrene placed on the new spaced out intake.
The nose gear mount is a plywood plate (as drawn on cardboard) glued just above the gear with hardwood rails to help tie them to the foam. The battery has a plywood floor running back into the duct area to help tie the nose to the main fuselage.
We added a hatch to allow access to the motor. The motor hatch has one screw fastening it from the top. There are 3 toothpicks helping align the hatch and the exhaust cone also helps hold the hatch in position.The ESC is also removable by cutting the tie straps and reaching up the duct. ESC mounted on its side to provide better cooling to BEC portion. I removed the ESC covering and secured the heat sink with JB weld to also provide better inflow through the ESC.

Gusty crosswinds yesterday but since the plane was ready we decided to fly it. The Mirage 2000 flies very well with no surprises. A total of 4 flights made the trip to the model field worth it.
The brakes came in handy as my approaches were pretty fast in the gusty air. Only one setback on the third flight when I selected the gear switch instead of the brakes
Pretty effective way to stop as well but hard on the foam. For the fourth flight the gear switch was moved to the other side of the transmitter to prevent future mishaps. I was quite surprised that no up elevator/aileron was needed for trim in level flight. FLYFLY got the wing design right when balanced at the recommended CG. The only up trim is needed with gear down due to the parasite drag. Stalls are a joy to behold as it just mushes straight ahead with no wing drop. My control throws were approximately 2cm for elevator alone, and 1cm for ailerons and haven't needed to change a thing. Not a hint of any aileron flutter at top speed, but then my top speed is probably only 100mph on 6S. Not 1:1 thrust but plenty for scale flying and "fast" low passes. Considering adding airbrakes to the wing like the full size, but will make final decision after a flight in calmer air (no see if they are really needed). I'm pretty sure I can slow the plane down for landings on calmer days.
Great flying plane, and with the re-positioned main gear will rotate very easily, even on grass.

All that is left now is final painting which I'll post when done.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:30 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,392 Posts
Beautiful work. I have one of these kits on order, but will be installing a Jetfan setup.

I will certainly consider copying your mods.

Any chance of getting some video so we can see and hear?

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:46 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
423 Posts
4S,

Nice build. This is still one of my favourites in the hanger.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dro56595@bigpo View Post
Beautiful work. I have one of these kits on order, but will be installing a Jetfan setup.

I will certainly consider copying your mods.

Any chance of getting some video so we can see and hear?

Cheers,

Dan.
I'll try to get a video of it next time. It sounds every bit as good as our Venom.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
4 more flights today! Great looking and flying AC. Now I'm coming in nose high nice and slow, as shown in the video. Will post a video shortly (just has to download).
Our paddle brakes worked well. Will also post a video of their operation.
Cheers

Flyfly Mirage changesun 90mm + brakes (5 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Nov 27, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
Modified the tailcone to an exit size of 75mm from over 90. Made several saw cuts then glued them back together with 5 minute epoxy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,650 Posts
That's a success.

Nice work, Stripes! Looks plenty speedy from here, and vertical power is impressive. Please post up some pics or drawings of your brakes, as they work great; stops are straight and positive.

Really neat. Love the landings - nose hi is just so fine looking.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:05 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Nice work, Stripes! Looks plenty speedy from here, and vertical power is impressive. Please post up some pics or drawings of your brakes, as they work great; stops are straight and positive.

Really neat. Love the landings - nose hi is just so fine looking.
Here is the link to my thread on EDF brakes.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424562

I apologize for the video quality as it was shot on my cell phone. When possible, I will get a better quality video shot and posted.

My father and I first dreamed these up for our HTG L-39 as it wanted to use the whole runway! We have added them to our FF F-86, F-100, and HTG Mig 15. On those planes the flap servos were used to actuate the brakes (The Mirage has dedicated brake servos).

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:04 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,258 Posts
nice work 4s.

im starting mine soon. im going with a midi on 8s. tam stuts w/15-25 eflite tracts. ice lite 100.
im wrapping the airfoil with 8gram/m2 carbon fiber cloth. the fuse will be 8 gram/m2 fiberglass cloth. ill mod the intake, flow and the trailing edges. jrds398 for controls. Im gonna add the rudder to.
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:36 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,423 Posts
Nice very nice flys great to.

Yup high Alpha is the go will slow ya down no sweat although ya gotta get it right or she will sink like a stone.
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,258 Posts
refuel tube would be a nice touch to your already nice jet
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:49 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
It will get some details along with paint, but the refueling probe will likely be omitted. It would be constantly snagging on things. Learned this with pitot tubes on previous models.
Your Mirage will be fast on 8S Stoneenforcer! Fiberglass will help with the finish but I recommend that some type of carry through spars be added, as it is an easy and light mod.
Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:55 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,846 Posts
Mirage is finished! My father put in some overtime through the holidays and the plane now looks as good as it flies. Can't wait for the snow to melt from the pavement so we can get some air shots.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:08 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Mirage is finished! My father put in some overtime through the holidays and the plane now looks as good as it flies. Can't wait for the snow to melt from the pavement so we can get some air shots.
I will call you 5stripes from now on - you guys deserve another stripe for that Mirage. Looks really great.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Its Jan 10 and I just came back from the field. The strip is 99% clean, except for the red area. Its muddy with lots of snow from the parking lot to the pilots area.

Ralph
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan