HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PMB-NZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Aug 2009
184 Posts
Discussion
433MHz lost model tracker

Over a year ago a friend lost a Easyglider with a HD camera on board. We spent a week searching about a square Km of grass and scrub but didn't find it. We also flew many patterns and recorded well over 20 gigs of HD video, finding a few interesting things but no plane. Then a few months later an FPV plane went missing at a much worse location with almost no chance of getting it back; all scrub, forrest and steep hills.

We'd talked about lost model trackers for some months before loosing a plane so this was the push needed to do somethig about it. I designed a 433MHz beacon transmitter and receiver specifically for lost RC model tracking.

So far it's worked well in testing and maybe due to Murphys Law we haven't missplaced another model. I did leave a model in the top of a large tree overnight a short while back, but knew where it was. It was a good tracker test as it started transmitting as expected and I could receive the signal from home, almost 2Km away.

Since then I've supplied a few of these. I have just recently been testing a yagi directional antenna that packs up to a small size and weight for easy storage and shipping. All lots of fun.
PMB-NZ is offline Find More Posts by PMB-NZ
Last edited by PMB-NZ; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,400 Posts
Would you mind sharing the schematic + code (= Thanks )?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Jan 04, 2014, 04:05 AM
Vancouver island - Canada
Canada, BC, Port Alberni
Joined Jan 2013
56 Posts
Do you ship to Canada? Or are there other places closer to me where I can get some of these? Can one just use the transmitter and listen to the beeping as a way to find a lost model without purchasing the receiver?
Cheers
alna57 is offline Find More Posts by alna57
Last edited by alna57; Jan 04, 2014 at 04:24 AM.