HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
TomCrump's Avatar
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,141 Posts
I know that I may be in the minority, but I have never equated Horizon and quality.

Outside of Saito and Zenoah engines, my experience with Horizon has been less than stellar.

I enjoy my Night Vapor, but I wouldn't call it a quality item.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:36 PM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Out flying again late, late at night. Wish these perfect low wind nights/mornings would continue forever. Drat! Some "campers" had taken over my preferred cul-de-sac flight field so I moved to a near by park to fly.

I was admiring the LED placement on the Night Vapor this time. Love the 3 bright white LEDS on the leading edge. They sure help to maintain the orientation of the little Vapor. When I've flown the Vapor during the day, I'll sometimes momentarily lose orientation, can't tell whether I'm coming or going. With those 3 bright white LEDS on the wing, there's no doubt at night. Never thought I'd be able to fly at night better than during the day.

I was flying pretty high this time. If anybody else noticed from a distance, I'm sure they thought they were seeing some little green men cruising by. Maybe I'll be the next topic on Coast-to-Coast AM.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:07 PM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Out flying again late, late at night. Wish these perfect low wind nights/mornings would continue forever. Drat! Some "campers" had taken over my preferred cul-de-sac flight field so I moved to a near by park to fly.

I was admiring the LED placement on the Night Vapor this time. Love the 3 bright white LEDS on the leading edge. They sure help to maintain the orientation of the little Vapor. When I've flown the Vapor during the day, I'll sometimes momentarily lose orientation, can't tell whether I'm coming or going. With those 3 bright white LEDS on the wing, there's no doubt at night. Never thought I'd be able to fly at night better than during the day.

I was flying pretty high this time. If anybody else noticed from a distance, I'm sure they thought they were seeing some little green men cruising by. Maybe I'll be the next topic on Coast-to-Coast AM.
I keep meaning to bring my Night Vapor to the park for some high flying ... I LOVE flying my Champ way up high ...
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
How do you know when the prop that is twisted to get more pitch is at the correct pitch and the same on both sides?
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:36 PM
In the 20' glider range
anti-gravity's Avatar
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Eyeball it. Its ok if it a little off
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:54 PM
I used to like trees
rchank's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
Eyeball it. Its ok if it a little off
Yup. I just twisted the blades at the same time with what felt like equal amounts of pressure. It looked close to equal when I looked at it from above, then rotated the prop 180 degrees to compare the other blade.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:58 PM
In the 20' glider range
anti-gravity's Avatar
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Sounds good!
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 04:17 AM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
I keep meaning to bring my Night Vapor to the park for some high flying ... I LOVE flying my Champ way up high ...
Yep... just do it. Just be careful if the sun is up for any thermals. It doesn't take much to sweep the little critter away.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep... just do it. Just be careful if the sun is up for any thermals. It doesn't take much to sweep the little critter away.
Tonight was the night! Done and done!

I took my Night Vapor to the local park, and flew further and higher then I ever flew her before! That was fun! Usually I only fly the Night Vapor in front of my house and use the park for some of my other, faster, planes. One of my favorite things to do lately is fly my Champ really high up above this park. Last time I had her so high it was difficult seeing her orientation! I got a DX7 this year - and wow what a difference from the plastic RTF controllers. The range alone is phenomenal! So when I flew the Vapor tonight I knew that I had no worries about range. I couldn't get the vapor as high as I've had the Champ, the Vapor just doesn't want to climb quite as much as the Champ. But I still got her pretty high up! High enough that I couldn't hear the motor buzzing - and of course it's really quiet since it's 11pm and no wind. So that's pretty high. It was really cool just seeing the blinking lights and three forward lights way up in the night sky. And even though the wind is being report as "0" here right now, there was a couple gusts up there - all in the same direction - which pulled her away from me; I was worried for about 10 seconds. I flew two Hyp 160 batteries, about 15 minutes. I'll definitely have to do this again on another windless night.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Yep, high night flying is cool with the Vapor. When she's up cruising at a high altitude, it looks like a full-size plane coming in for landing. I'm still using 70 mah lipos in my Night Vapor. I like the lighter weight vs. the extra power of larger cells. I can still get up to altitude fairly quickly and it seems like I can climb forever. Certainly farther than I feel comfortable with trying.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:29 PM
Registered User
telos81's Avatar
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, high night flying is cool with the Vapor. When she's up cruising at a high altitude, it looks like a full-size plane coming in for landing. I'm still using 70 mah lipos in my Night Vapor. I like the lighter weight vs. the extra power of larger cells. I can still get up to altitude fairly quickly and it seems like I can climb forever. Certainly farther than I feel comfortable with trying.
Good tip, I have 1 70mah battery - I can give it a try
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:35 AM
Registered User
alpinesandtoys's Avatar
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on twisting the stock props! Now I have a ton of spare props cause I kept buying new ones that sucked..was heating them up to try and put more pitch into them and ruining them. Didn't realize all you had to do was twist them. No more uncontrolled dives for me! With the J-3 motor it'll go as high as I want....was up higher but brought it down so I could see it on my iphone....lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAwk4H6IaxM
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
Registered User
BatLaw's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Dinas Powys
Joined Jan 2005
56 Posts
I have searched for but not found any method of repairing a broken motor mount.
Mine has snapped off at the point just below the body of the motor leaving the attachment to the fuselage still glued on. I glued it back once but that didn't last. Short of buying a new mount, is there an alternative method of attaching the motor to the carbon stick? All suggestions welcomed.
BatLaw is offline Find More Posts by BatLaw
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:15 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLaw View Post
I have searched for but not found any method of repairing a broken motor mount.
Mine has snapped off at the point just below the body of the motor leaving the attachment to the fuselage still glued on. I glued it back once but that didn't last. Short of buying a new mount, is there an alternative method of attaching the motor to the carbon stick? All suggestions welcomed.
Just buy a new mount. I bought two so I have a spare if the 1st one breaks, to hold me over until I can get a new mount. I also reinforced the mount with epoxy. HH has a problem with stress concentrations on their parts.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:43 AM
Registered User
alpinesandtoys's Avatar
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Yeah, you might have to take a razor to get the stick clean for the new motor mount. I use hot glue for two reasons...I can remove the parts without dealing with CA residue or razors and the hot glue makes the part stronger and slightly flexible. My motor mounts have lasted much longer since using hot glue...(plus I'm flying better than I was). I get all my spare parts from these guys....although they're out of the motor mounts right now. But they have great shipping prices! http://www.hopmeup.com/Parkzone/Vapo...-p6869892.html
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New parkzone night flying vapor!!!!! lightspeeddud Micro Ready-to-Fly 65 Nov 17, 2010 07:53 AM
New Product New Parkzone Night Vapor! 3D4life Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 22 Jul 10, 2010 05:27 PM
Discussion Why is this night different from every other night? Michael in Toronto Life, The Universe, and Politics 17 Apr 01, 2010 01:42 PM
Discussion New Night Flying Vapor with pre-installed lights Darth_Elevator Night Flying 0 Mar 18, 2010 05:17 PM
Discussion Thursday Night is Heart Attack Grill night in Chandler AZ Michael Heer Arizona Electric Festival 23 Feb 02, 2010 01:26 PM