SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2006, 09:47 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentw
... On some planes installing z bends on both ends of the wire is more difficult...

If you have pictures of the steps used to install z bends on both ends of the EZ control linkages it would be great if you would post them.

Sarge
Why not use 'L' Bends?

One clockwise, One counter-clockwise, and they lock just fine, or a 'Z' Bend on one end, and an 'L' Bend on the other works great as well. I use them on all my tough assemblies, now. I saw it in some magazine a while back, not my idea by any means...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2006, 11:03 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 03, 2006 at 10:23 PM.
Old May 12, 2006, 06:02 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
That's not my Easy Star, but it's the way I connected the servo arms on it. Solid connections and much easier to deal with down the road when things need adjusted.
Old May 12, 2006, 10:01 PM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
That's not my Easy Star, but it's the way I connected the servo arms on it. Solid connections and much easier to deal with down the road when things need adjusted.
I'm not buying twisting control wires with needle nose pliers in tight quarters just to get a "z" or "l" bends on both sides of the control wire. No matter how careful you are you wind up stressing/weakening the control horns and the control rod tube mounting. If this was such a good idea then clevice sales, and micro connects would be dead tomorrow.

The quick connects are adjustable and reliable; the clevice connectors are even better
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Last edited by sargentw; May 12, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 02:31 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Sarge - I'm not 'selling' anything, so there's nothing for you to 'buy' (apart from a good pair of thin pliers )

Z-bends work for me, they're more reliable (important) & lighter (secondary but nice to have). As for people still selling clevices and micro-connects I guess this is down to:

1- Tradition - with gassers who cared how much weight you drag into the air.
2 - If you don't have a computer TX you (probably) need them

It's catching on I think - I just built a Hyperion Yak55 and there wasn't a connector anywhere - all Zs.

Adam

Quote:
I'm not buying twisting control wires with needle nose pliers in tight quarters just to get a "z" or "l" bends on both sides of the control wire. No matter how careful you are you wind up stressing/weakening the control horns and the control rod tube mounting. If this was such a good idea then clevice sales, and micro connects would be dead tomorrow.

The quick connects are adjustable and reliable; the clevice connectors are even better
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old May 13, 2006, 07:51 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
There are are situations where installing all "z" bends makes good sense.

Here is a picture of a Mountain Models Panic. There are no connectors or fixed control rod tubes just direct linkages and wire "z" bends.

It's kind of cool how MM has you install em. The setup is really made up of 2 pieces of wire that are shorter than the distance from the servo arm to the control horn. The 2 short wires have a "z" bend only on one end. The wires are held together with a length of shrink wrap tube. The shrink wrap tube holds holds the 2 wires snug, but you can still move them in and out of the shrink wrap tube to physically "0" your trim. Once your linkage is adjusted the way you want it squirt a little thin CA on one end, it wicks down the entire length and holds like iron. This type linkage is easy to move to another control horn because the servo screw is completly exposed making removal of the servo arm/linkage a snap.
Last edited by sargentw; May 13, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 13, 2006, 09:37 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Not having to remove the servo arm and being able to go into a control horn from a close in exit from a fuselage are the 2 reasons I have adopted the 'L' bends. I have never had an in-fligt failure, although some have popped loose on some great 3Dr crashes

The other way that Doug (Mountain Models) taugt us is a nice way as well.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:21 AM
gkb
Grande Prairie, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
14 Posts
Hi all, I just joined the Easystar club and have yet to build my plane. I have been researching all the threads to get all the tips first. My hobby shop sold me the following gear with my Easystar: 2 - Hitec HS55 servos, Castle Creations Pixi 20P 20 amp speed controller and a Kokam 3 cell 1250 mah Lipo 15C. I will be using my Spektrum DX6 radio. Will the 3 cell kill the 400 motor quickly? My LHS told me it will be fine with it.
gkb is offline Find More Posts by gkb
Old May 19, 2006, 11:33 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
3S will likely cook the motor quite quickly.

You'd be better off with a heavier 2S pack IMO - you'll have trouble balancing the EZ* with a 1250 pack.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb
Hi all, I just joined the Easystar club and have yet to build my plane. I have been researching all the threads to get all the tips first. My hobby shop sold me the following gear with my Easystar: 2 - Hitec HS55 servos, Castle Creations Pixi 20P 20 amp speed controller and a Kokam 3 cell 1250 mah Lipo 15C. I will be using my Spektrum DX6 radio. Will the 3 cell kill the 400 motor quickly? My LHS told me it will be fine with it.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:36 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
Neat

That's a nice solution - thanks for posting.

Adam

Quote:
There are are situations where installing all "z" bends makes good sense.

Here is a picture of a Mountain Models Panic. There are no connectors or fixed control rod tubes just direct linkages and wire "z" bends.

It's kind of cool how MM has you install em. The setup is really made up of 2 pieces of wire that are shorter than the distance from the servo arm to the control horn. The 2 short wires have a "z" bend only on one end. The wires are held together with a length of shrink wrap tube. The shrink wrap tube holds holds the 2 wires snug, but you can still move them in and out of the shrink wrap tube to physically "0" your trim. Once your linkage is adjusted the way you want it squirt a little thin CA on one end, it wicks down the entire length and holds like iron. This type linkage is easy to move to another control horn because the servo screw is completly exposed making removal of the servo arm/linkage a snap.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Adam
3S will likely cook the motor quite quickly.

You'd be better off with a heavier 2S pack IMO - you'll have trouble balancing the EZ* with a 1250 pack.

Adam
I agree with Adam.

In addition, my eTec 2400 7.4 would not balance without lead. You can see a picture of the 2400 eTec earlier in this thread (post 13). This Polyquest battery will most likely balance.
http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?..._%23PQ2600_7.4

To me going Lipo is more advanced, more expensive. The LHS would also have to sell you the right lipoly charger, balancer, etc.

You might be better off starting with an IB1200 8 cell brick pack.

Sarge

Here are a couple excellent NIMH batteries for the EZ brushed and brushless applications.

I prefer the 9 cell Nimh battery because it goes as fast as it needs to go with 9 cells. Ten cells+ just starts to add weight and flying WOT would put my EZ at risk with me at the helm.

Note that the pics show a 6 cell brick and 7 cell firebird configurations. They would work in the EZ. For 8 and 9 cell configurations just add a pair of cells at the bottom.
Last edited by sargentw; May 19, 2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 12:06 PM
gkb
Grande Prairie, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
14 Posts
Thanks Sarge and Adam. I will now have to return this battery and get the proper one. I already have lipo charger's etc. as I have them for my RC Cars. I wonder why they would insist that this 3 cell battery would still work?
gkb is offline Find More Posts by gkb
Old May 19, 2006, 12:26 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb
Thanks Sarge and Adam. I will now have to return this battery and get the proper one. I already have lipo charger's etc. as I have them for my RC Cars. I wonder why they would insist that this 3 cell battery would still work?
Some folks will tell you they have been running their 6v speed 400 on 11.1v lipolys forever with no problems. That's not been my experience.

Give your LHS the EZ Url's. We'll set em straight.
Old May 22, 2006, 07:33 PM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
The jury is in on my 26" Carbon Spar Upgrade

I tested my EZ with the new 26" Carbon Fiber spar and this is the flight report for the spar upgrade starting at post #296.

I flew last Saturday at a HS that borders a huge turf farm. I powered the EZ with a 9 cell IB1200 pack, Brushless mega 16/15/4, Eflite20 esc, 6x4e prop, 555 Hitec rec. The winds were blowing at 9 to 14.5 mph.

Replacing the stock 19.5" fiberglass spar with a longer, quality CF spar in the wings makes a good thing that much better. If you have the dough this is a worthwhile upgrade. The EZ handling in the wind was way better, including landing. The loops were tight and crisp.

Keep in mind however that if you are a new flyer stay with the shorter stock spar. In the event of a bad crash it will allow the wings to separate easier and possibly reduce the damage.

Wind Machines:

It's important to know wind speed and direction. To figure out wind speed and direction you can watch the piece of ribbon float around your antenna, you can toss some grass in the air, or you can have a pocket wind gauge handy.

The first gauge I purchased was made by Radio Shack. It works ok at best and does not measure wind under 6 mph. My brother let me "keep" his Kaindl Windtronic 2. (I'm giving his son an extra Slowstik) These Kaindl gauges are fantastic; very sensitive and accurate. They are so sensitive they will read wind speed if you walk by while it's sitting on the table. The gauge also has tripod mounting screw on the bottom so you can have it nearby at the flying field. Enough said: Here is a URL that further describes the gauge.

http://www.kiteplace.com/kiteplace%20Windtronic%202.htm

Father's day is on the way; forget the mud flaps for your hybrid ask for one of these things instead.
Last edited by sargentw; May 22, 2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 23, 2006, 12:05 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
I'Ve had a Windtronic for about a year and half, and THEY ROCK!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat