HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:52 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
563 Posts
Discussion
Replacement lipo pack for Futaba 6ex

Found this lipo pack which HK advertised as a replacement for the nicad flat pack of the Futaba 6ex tx.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ipo_Pack_.html

My worry is that this is a 3s pack (11.1v) as compared to the original nicad pack of 9.6v. I don't want to damage any component of the tx if I do decide to use this. Anybody care to comment.

Thanks.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Last edited by Gerry Santos; Oct 20, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,138 Posts
Your fully charge nicad pack would be around 11 volts and a fully charge LiPo will be 12.6 volts. Check with Futaba to see if it will safely use the 12.6 volt LiPo.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,238 Posts
Two 1 Amp diodes in series with the positive lead of the battery will reduce the voltage to the radio to 11.2V , almost the exact voltage as the 8 cell Nixx battery.
I would only recommend this for one that is good at soldering and is familiar with determining the polarity of diodes.
Using the two diodes also makes the factory set low voltage warning in the radio a better match for the 3S Lipo.
Also, if one does install diodes in the battery leads, then you have no choice but to charge through the balance connector. I consider that a good thing.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
563 Posts
was reading through the reviews/comments files and one flyer mentioned that the lipo pack is a perfect fit for the 6ex. however no mention of any modification
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
360 Posts
Gerry,

Why not just keep the battery at storage voltage? Assuming you have a decent computerized Lipo charger just use the 'storage ' setting. A transmitter barely puts any load on a battery when in use so the storage voltage will stay for a long time and it won't harm the voltage regulator on transmitters that were not designed for Lipo batteries.
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8s View Post
Gerry,

Why not just keep the battery at storage voltage? Assuming you have a decent computerized Lipo charger just use the 'storage ' setting. A transmitter barely puts any load on a battery when in use so the storage voltage will stay for a long time and it won't harm the voltage regulator on transmitters that were not designed for Lipo batteries.
+1 . LiPo's in older JR and Futaba 9.6V transmitters need to be kept below 11.4V to be safe. In a 2200mah battery, that will give you at least 10 hours of op time before the need to recharge.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member