HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2014, 09:23 AM
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
Discussion
Clutch/brake style control setup

Hi.

I have Turnigy 9X radio but I cant figure how to (or if its even possible) to set up a realistic control for my 1:10 KV-2.

This is what I need:
1) Throttle: drives both motors forward and backward.
This is easy, no problems here.

2) Rudder: steers the tank by slowing down either motor.
It must not accelerate or reverse either motor.
If tank is not moving, the steering does not do anything.
If steering is all the way to left, throttle only controls the right motor.
If steering is halfway to left, left motor gets 50% thottle (compared to the right motor).

Is this even possible? I have stock firmware but will mod if needed.

The tank is 1:10 KV-2, scratch built all-steel. Weight when finished about 50-60kg.
2x 24V 350W motors, running on 4S Lipo
Cannon is 15mm and will be CO2 operated with a recoil action.
Catrik is offline Find More Posts by Catrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:22 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,197 Posts
I think you are going to need to use the open firmware. Opentx, er9x, not sure what's current for the 9x.

Are you using a center sprung stick for throttle/rudder then? With the open firmware, I can think of a couple ways to do it.

Cool tank.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
I think you are going to need to use the open firmware. Opentx, er9x, not sure what's current for the 9x.

Are you using a center sprung stick for throttle/rudder then? With the open firmware, I can think of a couple ways to do it.

Cool tank.
With throttle I meant the stick that stays where you leave it. In Mode 2 its left stick up/down and steering would be left stick to left/right.

Can you tell/show me how you would do this? I'd like to be sure before I go modding the radio
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:02 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrik View Post
With throttle I meant the stick that stays where you leave it. In Mode 2 its left stick up/down and steering would be left stick to left/right.

Can you tell/show me how you would do this? I'd like to be sure before I go modding the radio
I wasn't sure if you wanted steering while reversing, I went with no. I'm also assuming throttle stick is up for forward, down for reverse...

Here's an EEPE file. Just load it up in Companion9x to see how it works.

Here's what's happening.

CH1 and CH2 are the motor outputs for Left/Right motors.

CH11 and CH12 are the mix channels for those. They are responsible for subtracting the rudder control from the throttle for the steering.

CH10 is only active when throttle is positive, using CS1, so forward only. This prevents steering from activating when throttle is zero or reverse.

CS1 lets us know we are going forward.

CS2 lets us know we are reversing. It is used in a replace mix on CH1/2 to allow reverse throttle to apply.

CS3 and CS4 are limiters to prevent the motors from reversing when steering input is used. They are used to trigger a replace mix to set the channel to zero, rather than allow it to go negative.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:00 PM
Joined Oct 2014
5 Posts
Thanks! I do want steering in reverse too, other than that that's exactly what I need. It was a little more complicated than I thought I'll need to get modding then.