Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:40 AM
Lesson Learned = $$ Saved
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2005
744 Posts
Trader Rating: 101
Discussion
Need a little input on situation

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on here and know that stuff happens from time when items get shipped. Got to open the packaged and got everything that I said I would, but found out that a component had been damaged during shipping. Was in a confined box with little protection and it happens and buyer also confirms the statment.

Contacted the buyer and sent him some pics to let him know what was up the second I found out about it. Communication was quick and seemed to be good about the whole deal. All commnication was done on Tue 4/23 and ended 4/24 (same time zone) in the morning and he agrees to contact his source to see about getting a replacement/fixed and tested. Two full working days go by and I decide to check back with him and propose a solution for both parties to save the hassle 3 shipping costs from US to Canada + repair/test cost + all the wait time in between. Tells me he hasn't heard back from his hobby store and get this snip from and email.

Quote:
Im not too interested in absorbing 2/3rds of something that left my house in fine shape. Not wanting to come across as a bad guy but i simply cant afford it at this time
Replacement cost of the item is $187 and need it to use with another key component on the setup. I proposed that I try to sell the broken one as is for $50-60 and then feel that his fair portion on the remaining balance ($140 - $130) of new as 2/3 loss ($84) and I end up taking a 1/3 loss ($42) as a buyer. Seems like a lot better idea then a $187 loss as a seller and a lot of other people would want if you ask me.

Just get this feeling that a paypal needs to be notified before too much time goes by.

Thanks
Wynn
Wynn1427 is offline Find More Posts by Wynn1427
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:56 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,959 Posts
Trader Rating: 641
Wynn,
I think your solution is fair. As much as it sucks to ship something that fully functional and have it arrive damaged, it is always up to the seller to deal with the issue. You paid for a functioning item, and that's what you deserve to get. Although he may not have a spare $187 dollars, that isn't your issue. If I buy something from Amazon and it gets damaged in transit, there's no way Amazon says, "Sorry, we just can't absorb that return."
I guess I'd just remind your seller in the friendliest of fashions that he can either replace the item, do the scenario you suggested, or that you'll return it to him and PayPal will have him refund the full purchase price. It's gonna happen, one way or another, so hopefully he comes to his senses.
Good luck to you,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:23 AM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
Trader Rating: 179
I agree with Josh. Make sure you insure the item if you end up sending it back. Back in January, I purchased what was supposed to be a NIB Hacker motor on Ebay. What I got was what looked to be a new motor that was missing parts. To make a long story short, I opened an Ebay case and I sent the motor back to the guy with USPS signature confirmation and no insurance. The package supposedly goes out for delivery and that is the last USPS tracking logs about it. I get no delivery or signature confirmation. In the end, I lost the purchase price, the cost for the seller to ship the motor to me, and the cost for me to ship the motor back to the seller. What a mistake not to insure the package.
JimG_AZ is online now Find More Posts by JimG_AZ
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:57 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,796 Posts
Trader Rating: 65
Wynn- I think you've dealt with this in a gentlemanly way. If your settlement offer is rejected, you need to use Paypal's solution.

Every time I sell an item, that stays in my mind.....'what if it gets damaged,before it arrives'? I decide then, to do my best to cover all bases,or resign myself to take the loss....

You are not being unfair, expecting undamaged goods or a partial refund.

-good luck
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:19 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Im the seller and i feel the same way as evreyone on here. It sucks the sensor got damaged, between shipping insurance which i am claiming and Wynn saying he would attempt to sell the old sensor, id take 50/50 responsibility on the deal and offer up 95 bucks. In this case then Wynn would be able to get the sensor at no expense to himself but the effort to sell the damaged one which appears to be only the case and not the sensor itself at no money out of pocket.
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Im the seller and i feel the same way as evreyone on here. It sucks the sensor got damaged, between shipping insurance which i am claiming and Wynn saying he would attempt to sell the old sensor, id take 50/50 responsibility on the deal and offer up 95 bucks. In this case then Wynn would be able to get the sensor at no expense to himself but the effort to sell the damaged one which appears to be only the case and not the sensor itself at no money out of pocket.
It's great if things can be worked out between seller and buyer. The issue seems to have come about due to poor packing. Even if it wasn't a packing issue, ultimately it's the sellers 100% responsibility to get the item to the buyer as advertised. There is little doubt PP would not find in favor of the buyer.

Hope things work out to everyone's satisfaction.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:16 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,890 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
Quote:
You're totally responsible. Have him ship it back at your expense and refund him what he paid for it.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:46 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Fair enough. Wynn in the paypal convo if you want then have paypal refund the cost of the vbar sensor. My ticket with canada post wont see resolution until june or something crazy like that.
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,567 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
My experience with Canada Post is if you have a case you get full insurance paid to you so have the seller return the item for a refund.
You have a good buyer there.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:25 PM
Lesson Learned = $$ Saved
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2005
744 Posts
Trader Rating: 101
Quote:
Fair enough. Wynn in the paypal convo if you want then have paypal refund the cost of the vbar sensor. My ticket with canada post wont see resolution until june or something crazy like that.
Thank you again for taking care of this in a quick fashion and even more then I was expecting.

Want to let everyone know that the seller and I have already reached a agreement. Seller has already requested a refund to me for the issue at hand and is pending via paypal for there normal holding period.

Thanks
Wynn
Wynn1427 is offline Find More Posts by Wynn1427
Closed Thread