Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
The flouzy! Nice!

Most of my balsa 3D planes seem to hover just below mid stick so I'm going to adjust my throttle curve to make this one do the same. It's not a big deal but it's just something that I guess I'm used. I kept finding myself have to jam on the throttle to save my hovers today.
Exactly how I feel! I setup a throttle curve on mine too.

I flew the visionaire and my 42" slick back to back today and I was a little messed up flying the slick. The slick has a more sensitive throttle so I may change my throttle curve some more on the visionaire. Also, I think I realized I have been flying with too much expo on my other 3d planes. I'm at 30 all around I think on the visionaire and 70 all around on the slick. So I brought down the expo to 50 on the slick and I'll have to see if that makes a difference.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:33 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Exactly how I feel! I setup a throttle curve on mine too.

I flew the visionaire and my 42" slick back to back today and I was a little messed up flying the slick. The slick has a more sensitive throttle so I may change my throttle curve some more on the visionaire. Also, I think I realized I have been flying with too much expo on my other 3d planes. I'm at 30 all around I think on the visionaire and 70 all around on the slick. So I brought down the expo to 50 on the slick and I'll have to see if that makes a difference.
Yea I just recently dropped my 71 Slick expo down to 50 all around. I think I was previously on about 60-65 or so. I felt much more connected to it after reducing my expo. I could actually see just getting rid of expo all together on this plane though.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:20 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
I knew you would get one Turnerm

Great to watch your video. Makes me feel humble, as do all yours, but it's great to see some more of what it can do. I found I had only used half my batteries in 5 minutes when I charged them ... most of the flight was gentler, and a lot higher, than yours!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Yea I just recently dropped my 71 Slick expo down to 50 all around. I think I was previously on about 60-65 or so. I felt much more connected to it after reducing my expo. I could actually see just getting rid of expo all together on this plane though.
Thanks for the video man! You fly so well!

Quote:
Some pics from flying the VisionAire today!
Nice pics! How's visibility against the white? :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is online now Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Some pics from flying the VisionAire today!
Nice pics Z! Love the inverted harrier picture with the HUGE shadow. Kinda like the plane... Small but flies big!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
Thanks for the video man! You fly so well!

Tom
Thanks Tom. Once I get more of a feel for its tendencies I'll post a better video. But... This is a sweet little plane with no real bad habits.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
Nice pics! How's visibility against the white? :-)

Tom
Quote:
Nice pics Z! Love the inverted harrier picture with the HUGE shadow. Kinda like the plane... Small but flies big!
Thanks!

Visibility is pretty good, but I fly in close so that may not help you!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom. Once I get more of a feel for its tendencies I'll post a better video. But... This is a sweet little plane with no real bad habits.
I knew you'd love it!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
Re EXPO: I find any more than 20% and things get really sluggish. Also I remember reading somewhere the Rx has some built in EXPO..........
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:45 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
turnerm - nice flying, thanks for sharing !!!!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:48 PM
lownslow
Joined Nov 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
A problem intrinsic to the single-material aluminum design collet is that it relies on a *sliding* grip on the tapered arms - aluminum - which is pressed on by the taper adapter it contacts - aluminum, again - by the rotational force applied by the nut as it is tightened.

I have found that sometimes the aluminum-on-aluminum nature of this arrangement 'sticks' or 'galls' and prevents you from getting a good compression fit, even if you apply a good deal of torque to the nut/spinner.

Not good.

Solution?

I usually apply a single drop of triflow to a cloth, then wipe the tapered surfaces prior to installation. Easy tightening, and you can feel the aluminum fingers bite down on the stainless motor shaft.
Nice idea, I guess the cap really works????
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:04 PM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandris View Post
cat,

This method serves me well over the years. Clean the shaft and collet with rubbing alcohol. Mix up a small amount of "JBWeld" epoxy and apply to the inside of the collet and outside of the shaft. Install the collet adapter correctly and the put your prop on, then a washer, then the nut and crank it down nice and tight. Let it sit for 24 hours and then you are good to go. No more airborn ejections.
Bob
Don't think I'll be putting any epoxy on the motor shaft/collet. For sure.

The best solution for the problem came from "tracknoob"...a little film of oil on the outer collet fingers and inside the tapered cone it mates with. I tried this with another e-flite collet adapter I had on hand. The difference in gripping power is substantial due to less galling/friction of the aluminum parts.

Thanks for all the responses, and be sure to check those prop nuts before flying your Visionaire.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Turnerm - where's the other video's. Think we are gonna have to take up a collection and buy you a faster battery charger. In reality, I can see you not being as fascinated by this one as some of us because of your abilities and the quality of planes you own and fly regularly. I just can't quite see this one being up to your capabilities and you certainly don't need the help it gives us mere mortals. I do look forward to more opinions from you with some more flight time though. I can't tell a good 3d plane from a bad one, but put stock in your observations.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:46 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
Re EXPO: I remember reading somewhere the Rx has some built in EXPO..........
It sure feels that way to me. Today we were flying it inverted at half throttle hands off allll the way across the field kinda crosswind. When you're flying 3d you are always adding inputs so you really don't notice the gyro very much. It's also great at long straight lines. Does anyone know if the spare parts are painted? I'm thinking of filling one w/LEDs.
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0