HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
No it isn't. It is a CompArf and turbine powered with vectored thrust. It is not EDF and not foam.
Shoot, I was hoping it was truly a CarbonZ QQ design. Those stickers are misleading! Nice airplane no matter what for sure!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:24 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,021 Posts
I didn't know it was Turbine

Quote:
No it isn't. It is a CompArf and turbine powered with vectored thrust. It is not EDF and not foam.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,300 Posts
*Yawn*

If all that was solely to promote the release of a variant of an existing radio... well... I suppose a new take on an existing product isn't something folks normally get excited over. But otherwise...

*Yawn*

However if the real strategy was to get a bunch of folks on the forums kicking out ideas that HH can use for future products... and they actually carry some of them out! Well, that's bloody genius. Market research & new product ideas for free. Hopefully everyone that posted her will get a commission cheque...

Now PLEASE... some new aircraft announcements would be really nice. Just sayin'
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,021 Posts
lol

keep dreamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
*Yawn*

If all that was solely to promote the release of a variant of an existing radio... well... I suppose a new take on an existing product isn't something folks normally get excited over. But otherwise...

*Yawn*

However if the real strategy was to get a bunch of folks on the forums kicking out ideas that HH can use for future products... and they actually carry some of them out! Well, that's bloody genius. Market research & new product ideas for free. Hopefully everyone that posted her will get a commission cheque...
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Shoot, I was hoping it was truly a CarbonZ QQ design. Those stickers are misleading! Nice airplane no matter what for sure!
Guessing there marketing department put the stickers on it
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
Now PLEASE... some new aircraft announcements would be really nice. Just sayin'
How long ago was the DX18 announced? How many airplanes, helis and other flying contraptions has Horizon announced since the DX18 was announced? A bunch of them from Hobbyzone, Parkzone, Eflite, Hangar 9, Blade, etc. Not to mentions all the stuff the surface and power teams have turned out.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
How long ago was the DX18 announced? How many airplanes, helis and other flying contraptions has Horizon announced since the DX18 was announced? A bunch of them from Hobbyzone, Parkzone, Eflite, Hangar 9, Blade, etc. Not to mentions all the stuff the surface and power teams have turned out.
You can't please everyone!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:14 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
People willing to pay too much for the privilege of testing new products are the reason we buy reasonably priced gear. I want more rich people, not fewer. I wish there were 2000 ready, willing and able to buy that radio. But 4,000 rich people willing would be better. Early adopters are who make what we do doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
This all has a weird marketing vibe to it. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish in the end beyond maybe trying to make Spektrum get a foothold in the niche high end area so people see the radio at the field and then buy into a normal DX18 perhaps.
I think you are both right - a product like this allows them to increase sales of (slower selling) top end radios for a bit whilst providing a "halo effect" for their other, more mainstream products. Remember they have paid for the Quique tie in, and however posters here may feel we are all more aware of that tie in now. I don't think this type of marketing strategy can last much longer though - it will take time, but the new generation of open source based TXs from HK, FrSky etc are going to reset the level of functionality and flexibility expected from $100-200 radio. That will make premium variants from the mainstream manufacturers a difficult sales proposition.
Quote:
I also have some concerns where the different software on the same hardware platform are headed. Are we going into the realm of pay per use feature upgrades perhaps? This may just be a test of the waters to see how the market reacts to the possibility. Perhaps that is the end goal of being unique - you buy a base hardware platform with basic features then we pay per use the features we want to unlock. Who knows, but I do know that your don't create a month long marketing campaign with banner ads plastered all over with email signups and surveys to sell 2000 items. More to this than just a new limited edition radio. Pay per use radio features is my guess.
Agreed - given the current model ("you need more functionality - buy a new TX") is breaking down, a pay per function option is a good way forward. Buyers could then jsut choose what form factor they want in their TX (tray type, handheld type or a.n.other future variant), modulation type (multiple frequency and protocol options) and then just downlad the functionality they want from the website, upgrading whenever they wanted more. I don't have any issue with paying for upgrades providing the pricing was clear and the start point for the hardware was significantly lower than it is now; it will need to be to stack up agains tthe competition.

The first to get to this model may have a short term advantage and hoover up some customers, but ultimately we are all going to be spending less for our radios in future. That's a major problem for HH and all the other big names, and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw some of them disappear over the next few years.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:50 AM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Who knows, but I do know that your don't create a month long marketing campaign with banner ads plastered all over with email signups and surveys to sell 2000 items. More to this than just a new limited edition radio. Pay per use radio features is my guess.
A lot of the value for Spektrum/HH IS the email sign up and surveys. From a purely marketing perspective it allows them to better target their message as well as tailor it to get the best impact. Ultimately if they do it right that's worth WAY more $ than these 2000 units will generate.

And that's a good thing for both hobbyists and HH.

Will I buy the new radio? No. But as a newb to the hobby I now own 2 Blade helis, 2 HZ planes, a DX6i and Phoenix. So yeah,I pay attention to what they do.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:52 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Agreed - given the current model ("you need more functionality - buy a new TX") is breaking down, a pay per function option is a good way forward. Buyers could then jsut choose what form factor they want in their TX (tray type, handheld type or a.n.other future variant), modulation type (multiple frequency and protocol options) and then just downlad the functionality they want from the website, upgrading whenever they wanted more.
That's a pretty big fail. Software is the difference between a consumer grade network router and a commercial one. You can't switch one to the other officially right now because the hackers have already beat the commercial companies to the punch. Adding DD-WRT to my cheap router gave it all the functionality of a $2,0000 router in about 30 minutes. This same thing would happen to radios. Unless there is a physical difference between radios with differing capabilities, the whole system will break down with the very ingenius freebie market.

Right now, instead of buying Windows 8 for your computer, you can install Ubuntu, a totally free with all free applications operating system for your computer. You are not a helpless victim of a bunch of crazies who want to reduce your desktop computer to the capabilities of a cell phone in some misguided crusade to kill off desktop computers in favor of a captive market enslaved to the Microsloth App Store. Where there were no alternatives before, now there is a great alternative and the computer Nazis cannot put us in their concentration camp any longer.

If RC radio manufacturers make everybody on the low end buy the hardware for the elite end, but don't give them any functionality, you KNOW what will happen and it won't be pretty.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
a pay per function option is a good way forward.
Xerox tried that with their large format printers. What it accomplished was to make people mad that the added functionality was already in the printer and all that they were paying for was the technician to unlock the feature.
Hobby people love to have all the features available all the time. Regardless if they use them or not. It could be disasterous.
I wonder if Futaba will take in my DX7 , DX6, and all my recievers in trade for new futaba stuff?
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
Quote:
That's a pretty big fail. Software is the difference between a consumer grade network router and a commercial one. You can't switch one to the other officially right now because the hackers have already beat the commercial companies to the punch. Adding DD-WRT to my cheap router gave it all the functionality of a $2,0000 router in about 30 minutes. This same thing would happen to radios. Unless there is a physical difference between radios with differing capabilities, the whole system will break down with the very ingenius freebie market.
I have DD-WRT in my routers at home, too, because I needed some more features I couldn't get otherwise. I understand where you're coming from. Packages like DD-WRT are available for a wide range of routers - and you have to be careful to select the right HW revision for some of them.

But I have a question for you - I see a couple open source alternatives for very low-end radios, but not one for a higher product. Where are the open source versions for the DX8 or DX18 platforms? Where are the open source Futaba or even Hitec? I see a few people have tried to make tools for converting our telemetry logfiles to CSV or other tools, but none that is spectacularly successful. Users are generally happy with the STi software we provide for Apple phones/pads. Some ask for Android versions, but they haven't swamped the Google store with alternatives.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
But I have a question for you - I see a couple open source alternatives for very low-end radios, but not one for a higher product. Where are the open source versions for the DX8 or DX18 platforms? Where are the open source Futaba or even Hitec? I see a few people have tried to make tools for converting our telemetry logfiles to CSV or other tools, but none that is spectacularly successful. Users are generally happy with the STi software we provide for Apple phones/pads. Some ask for Android versions, but they haven't swamped the Google store with alternatives.

Andy
You're right there, I just haven't seen anything written for the higher end commercial radios. Considering all the video console hacking and the stuff for the HK/FrSky radios, this is a little surprising, but maybe the fairly small number of people involved in this specialized area of programming are satisfied with the radios they ARE working on. I'm just not close enough to that scene to know.

Of course, on the network router angle, the router companies, Linksys, Asus and others, even go to the point of advertising Linux based routers that can be used with DD-WRT, sometimes even helping buyers of their equipment to hook up the correct versions. I'm thinking some cooperation from the RC radio transmitter manufacturers would also be necessary or helpful, and then you have the potential for experiments that didn't quite work out crashing a plane and then Spektrum gets unjustified complaints (as if Spektrum didn't get unjustified complaints now).

I'm not sure how that could be worked out ahead of time, but it sure could be interesting and possibly open up a lot of improvements if it did. Radio companies would need to preserve their reputations while opening the door for software customization. It's worked for computers and routers, maybe it could be made to work here.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Maybe, but my point is that the "system" is already broken for the major manufacturers if their premium $800-$1500 radio has the same or less functionality as a $50-200 open source based TX. I'm sure you will rightly say those OS TXs don't have the same physical quality (gimbals etc) or usability as the premium brands yet. However, it's clear from the information coming out every day on the Turnigy and particularly the FrSky radios that their creators are serious about addressing these points and upsetting the status quo in the medium term.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Maybe, but my point is that the "system" is already broken for the major manufacturers if their premium $800-$1500 radio has the same or less functionality as a $50-200 open source based TX. I'm sure you will rightly say those OS TXs don't have the same physical quality (gimbals etc) or usability as the premium brands yet. However, it's clear from the information coming out every day on the Turnigy and particularly the FrSky radios that their creators are serious about addressing these points and upsetting the status quo in the medium term.
Depends on who you ask... I personally don't trust Open Source stuff. I know the guys who do the embedded stuff for spacecraft here - they are not the same guys who are doing the open source stuff. There is a difference in caliber, and in my opinion, it's significant. I would simply not trust my aircraft to embedded software written by "guys on the internet"
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501