SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2009
722 Posts
Discussion
MJD Saab MFI-15 Safari/Saab MFI-17 Supporter

Let me present Saab MFI-15 Safari, also known as the Saab MFI-17 Supporter; a prop-powered basic trainer aircraft used by several air forces. It is also used by "Baby Blue", the Royal Danish Air Force Display Team.

The model shown in the photos is from Swedish MJD Models (http://www.mjd.se/). It is in scale 1:8, has a wingspan of 1106mm and weighs 900g.

I recently bought this model from a very skilled builder/painter. It is equipped with an Axi 2808/24 with Jeti 25A ESC and I am flying it using 3s1350mAh lipos. This setup gives the model plenty of power and around 10 minutes of mixed flying. It has dual aileron and flap servos, elevator, rudder and steerable nose wheel.

So far I've only flown it once (this evening), but I can already tell it will be one of my favorites. The flying qualities of this model are close to that of a much larger model. It is stable, predictable, and can fly at walk speed, even without flaps deployed. Takeoffs and landings are easy with the tri-cycle landing gear both on asphalt and grass.

This is an amazing model worth considering if you're looking for something not too common.
JonteSvensson is offline Find More Posts by JonteSvensson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Very cool Jonte, super detailed!

Isn't this the plane that fought in the Biafra war in Nigeria?
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
easy crasher
LSZR - Switzerland
Joined May 2009
26 Posts
Congratulations, that's a winner
ThunderBit is offline Find More Posts by ThunderBit
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:12 PM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2009
722 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe it was the MFI-9, not the MFI-15, that fought in the Biafra war.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:34 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Yep did some research and you're right, it was the MFI-9. They're both pretty similar but the tails have different configurations.

Congrats again she looks stunning!
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,752 Posts
A great buy Jonte, but I don't think your skills are far behind this guy's in terms of finishing. Can we get some inflight pictures?

S.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2009
722 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any inflight pictures. The model can be seen flying in this video on youtube:

MJD-MFI15 (1 min 50 sec)