SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Is there an advantage to a 3 blade prop and is it true that for the same pitch reduce the dia. by 1"?

DJ
Generally, yes, reduce diameter by an inch or reduce pitch by 1. I put in a slightly lower kv motor because that's all I had laying around. Then I wanted to produce more thrust without changing anything else. The 3-blade of the same diameter and pitch seems to have done that. Lower kv generally can swing a bigger prop or higher pitch. I chose to add a blade. Or do like what others have done. Keep the same prop and drive it faster. The plane zips along pretty good now.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:13 PM
Brazil, GO, Goi‚nia
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikbaci View Post
Here is a video of the Bixler two with all mods I made:
2200 Kv Motor
Outrunner APC prop
45A Esc
Flaps ( full house set up )
Reversed Servo for flaps and sevo leads extended for easy mounting and dimounting of the wings.
It flew 37 min on a 2200 mAh Lipo

Look at 4:15 It is taking off at 75% throttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfc_...1&feature=plcp
Your Bixler 2 version was ARF or KIT? If is ARF, how did you change de motor. Thanks!
AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
I have a few questions regarding my bixler 2 that I was hoping to get some insight on.

First, how far down should the flaps deploy at full flaps?

Second, when I perform an aileron roll, by the time I complete the full roll, my plane is in a step dive and I have to pull up. What can I do (setup wise or control wise) so that I can do a complete roll without the airplane diving?
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
On the roll do you feed in some down elevator as the model goes inverted?
On many models I will start a roll with a slight pull up of the nose. Then feed some down in as it rolls inverted to keep the nose from dropping.

Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Ugh, it's freaking IMPOSSIBLE to fit everything I have inside this fuselage. I'm gonna have to put my receiver outside the fuselage to make this work. Yikes.
If you're not worried about screwing the wings on, you could remove the first pole/tubing at the back of the canopy. This will give you more room.
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Sep 2012
83 Posts
Quote:
Here is a video of the Bixler two with all mods I made:
2200 Kv Motor
Outrunner APC prop
45A Esc
Flaps ( full house set up )
Reversed Servo for flaps and sevo leads extended for easy mounting and dimounting of the wings.
It flew 37 min on a 2200 mAh Lipo

Look at 4:15 It is taking off at 75% throttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCfc_...1&feature=plcp
Hi Mikbaci
Can you tell me where you got the 2200Kv motor and the brand name of it and cost. I have just received my Bixler 2 and was at first going to run it on the stock motor but it seems from the postings that it is best to replace it and the wires. I have a 30amp ESC. If a larger ESC is required that will not be a problem.
The video looks great .
Mike
Drone 5 is offline Find More Posts by Drone 5
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:02 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adza View Post
If you're not worried about screwing the wings on, you could remove the first pole/tubing at the back of the canopy. This will give you more room.
Nah, I'm fine. I've put the receiver outside the fuselage on the left side and already cut channels for all the cables and whatnot. Yes, this will add some drag, but I'm gonna have to live with it for now. The receiver antennas on the RmileC system are insanely long. I'll post the final setup later in this topic.

EDIT: I might look into removing the tubing later, that would allow me to move my Nova OSD way back there. I don't need the tubes in the future, I'll most likely use a long piece of the blue HK velcro to hold the wings in place. Works very well on my Bixler V1, never had issues with the wings coming out on that one.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
Hi Mikbaci
Can you tell me where you got the 2200Kv motor and the brand name of it and cost. I have just received my Bixler 2 and was at first going to run it on the stock motor but it seems from the postings that it is best to replace it and the wires. I have a 30amp ESC. If a larger ESC is required that will not be a problem.
The video looks great .
Mike
HI there , I bought the motor from HK here is the link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28403

Make sure you get a 40A esc as I tried with a 30A but almost melted the fuselage ( definetly melted the glue of the velcro ) Or if you use the 30A esc then change/lenghten the cables and fit it ouside the fuselage to cool down as it gets pretty hot.

With a 45A esc I have no problems whatsoever.

Also use an outrunner prop with it I really do not know why, but the stock prop does not work as well as the outrunner Electric prop which I fitted reversed . I also had to invert the motor cables as ( being an outrunner motor it spins in the opposite way)

I think it is everything ask away if you need .

Mik
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Forest Row
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreDal View Post
Your Bixler 2 version was ARF or KIT? If is ARF, how did you change de motor. Thanks!
HI
I bought my bixler 2 as an ARF and then changed the motor . Manypeople pry the motor mounting and then reverse it to keep the new motor outside but the motor I bought from HK has more or less the same dimensions of the stock motor . I also used alot of Gorilla Glue. that motor pulls a lot of KV and need to be stuck really well or you loose it . here is the link to the motor :

Also on this video you get description on how to change it . Note that he changed the cables as well .

Bixler 2 Motor Upgrade (Part 1) (3 min 31 sec)
Mikbaci is offline Find More Posts by Mikbaci
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I'll most likely use a long piece of the blue HK velcro to hold the wings in place. Works very well on my Bixler V1, never had issues with the wings coming out on that one.
How do you use Velcro to hold the wings on? Do you mount it externally along the fuselage and have the Velcro on the wing connected at 90 degrees somehow, or what?

In just trying to picture how it can be done and am coming up with nothing.

Cheers
adza is offline Find More Posts by adza
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:03 AM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adza View Post
How do you use Velcro to hold the wings on? Do you mount it externally along the fuselage and have the Velcro on the wing connected at 90 degrees somehow, or what?

In just trying to picture how it can be done and am coming up with nothing.

Cheers
Stick a long piece of either loop or hook inside the wing opening on the fuse near the front edge (stuck down on the centre) overhanging by an inch each side, use electrical tape to stick to the adhesive underneath on this piece where it overhangs (this leaves 2 tabs stuck out).
Then stick an inch piece of the opposite on each wing to match up and there you have it, a retainer, works a treat on my bixler 1
Id supply a pic but im at work and the plan is hung up at home.
Hope the explanation helps
Mick.
michaeljohng is offline Find More Posts by michaeljohng
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:05 AM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
This is the idea, but hes gone a little further!!

http://forum.flitetest.com/attachmen...595001&thumb=1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
http://forum.flitetest.com/attachmen...595009&thumb=1
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Brazil, GO, Goi‚nia
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
HI
I bought my bixler 2 as an ARF and then changed the motor . Manypeople pry the motor mounting and then reverse it to keep the new motor outside but the motor I bought from HK has more or less the same dimensions of the stock motor . I also used alot of Gorilla Glue. that motor pulls a lot of KV and need to be stuck really well or you loose it . here is the link to the motor :

Also on this video you get description on how to change it . Note that he changed the cables as well .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATOFL...feature=relmfu
I have the same motor! Not the one in video, but the orange D2826 2200kv. In some time I will try to upgrade my B2. Thanks for the video, waiting for part 2.
AndreDal is offline Find More Posts by AndreDal
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohng View Post
Stick a long piece of either loop or hook inside the wing opening on the fuse near the front edge (stuck down on the centre) overhanging by an inch each side, use electrical tape to stick to the adhesive underneath on this piece where it overhangs (this leaves 2 tabs stuck out).
Then stick an inch piece of the opposite on each wing to match up and there you have it, a retainer, works a treat on my bixler 1
Id supply a pic but im at work and the plan is hung up at home.
Hope the explanation helps
Mick.
Indeed, this is how it's done.

Make sure to put the soft stuff on the fuse itself, when you slide the wings in and out you do not want to slide them across "hooks" as they will wear out the surface of the wings pretty fast. So put the hooks on the wings, soft stuff on the fuse.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck