HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Now that you have a new DX8 you'll have to give a comparison of the two...
I don't have a DX8, I didn't buy one(I should have at that price)
My dads had one since they first came out. I've flown many times with it(when it wasn't in the shop several times) and played around with it alot. It's a nice radio.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
I have a DX8. For the past two years I have flown my helis with a DX7 which I recently eBay'd off (had a buy it now price of $160....way too low I found out).

I bought a DX8 and it is ok but after some issues over the the past two years with Spektrum I am done with them. Two Helis augured in, one due to a bad board of some sort which Horizon replaced and the other I have no idea why. I was flying my foamy in the gym a month ago and it hit the floor right in front of me (34" wingspan). Sorta startled me and I was like "what the heck". Picked it up and the receiver indicated a brown out. My first thought was "you gotta be kidding me" I know that there are a ton of guys flying big stuff with Spektrum but I have lost all confidence in them. I am just finishing a large scale B-25 (90") and I can tell you one thing.... Spektrum will NOT be the radio in that bird.

Switching to Hitec Aurora 9 soon. I just eBay'd all the Spektrum equipment that belonged to our club president and he has an Aurora 9 coming, probably be here tomorrow.

My DX8 is going up for sale. I don't even have the protective plastic off of the logos yet. I kid you not there is no more than 12 flights on it.

I know that this not really necessarily Spektrums fault but here is what just happened to the battery pack in my DX8 on the first charge. An yes, the default NiMH was selected. It is the final nail in the coffin for spektrum. As soon as I get a new pack from Spektrum it is going down the road.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Last edited by JurassicJet; Feb 26, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
I have a DX8. For the past two years I have flown my helis with a DX7 which I recently eBay'd off (had a buy it now price of $160....way too low I found out).

I bought a DX8 and it is ok but after some issues over the the past two years with Spektrum I am done with them. Switching to Hitec Aurora 9 soon. I just eBay'd all of our club president's Spektrum equipment and he has an Aurora 9 coming, probably be here tomorrow.

My DX8 is going up for sale. I don't even have the protective plastic off of the logos yet. I kid you not there is no more than 12 flights on it.

I know that this not really necesarrily Spektrums fault but here is what just happened to the battery pack on the first charge. It is the final nail in the coffin for spektrum. As soon as I get a new pack from Spektrum it is going down the road.
You won't regret it. I have an A9 and it is an awesome radio. Everything is configurable, and it's the most intuitive radio I've used yet.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Mine was Tx only. That $500 sounds like an Rx was in there too.
The least expensive seller I could find has 60,000 @ 99.8% positive feedback on ebay and sells the Aurora 9 for $340 and the DX8 for $430. For $90 more the DX8 comes with an 8 channel receiver and a TM1000 module. The Aurora 9 comes with a 7 channel and voltage telemetry is part of every receiver which are all less expensive. Adding a second 9 ch Rx to the Aurora adds $69. Voltage telemetry is an important part of maintaining radio control.

On a different note, does Spektrum model match rule out a left and right side receiver in a plane? Can the A9 do a left and right side Rx on 2.4 GHz or only on 72?
sandy11 is offline Find More Posts by sandy11
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:21 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
.... My DX8 is going up for sale. I don't even have the protective plastic off of the logos yet. I kid you not there is no more than 12 flights on it .
How can this be when?
Quote:
.... I know that this not really necessarily Spektrums fault but here is what just happened to the battery pack in my DX8 on the first charge. ... .

Your selling it and you claim no more than 12 flights but thats what now just happened to your pack on the first charge.

Did you fly without ever charging the battery first?
How long did you leave it charging?
Just asking so other may know.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
How can this be when?

Your selling it and you claim no more than 12 flights but thats what now just happened to your pack on the first charge.

Did you fly without ever charging the battery first?
How long did you leave it charging?
Just asking so other may know.
Ooops.... I went back and read my post and did make a mistake. When I purchased my DX8 I did charge it partially. Not sure how long I had it plugged in but I am pretty sure it did not get up to a full charge. Unplugged it and went to the gym and flew a number of flights on it. Just flew a foamy and my McpX.

Last Friday I plugged it in around mid-morning, didn't make it to the gym and didn't unplug the TX until Sunday morning when I remembered it was still charging.
I reviewed the manual to make sure that there was not a limitation on length of charging and after a discussion with Horizon Hobby yesterday, they confirmed that thought process. It is a faulty battery. We (Horizon and Me) were both thankful it didn't start the house on fire.
Hope that clears it up.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:18 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
... Last Friday I plugged it in around mid-morning, didn't make it to the gym and didn't unplug the TX until Sunday morning when I remembered it was still charging. ... .
Friday morning around 10am until Sunday around 8am give or take - Ya glad nothing more or worst happened.

PS :
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX8 manual
Using the included SPMB2000NMTX NiMH battery pack, you should plug the included 12-volt AC to DC power supply in for 10 to 12 hours to fully charge the battery.
Quote:
• Always end the charging process if the charger or battery becomes hot to the touch or starts to change form (swell) during the charge process
Why I luv charging my batts outside the RC and Radio
Last edited by freechip; Feb 28, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
Look closely at your own quote of the manual.

The 10-12 hour charge is NOT a limitation. It says that you need to plug in the radio to the charger for "10 to 12 hours to fully charge the battery".

No where is that a limitation and that was confirmed with call to Horizon Hobby tech support yesterday.

Thanks for your sarcasm though.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
On a different note, does Spektrum model match rule out a left and right side receiver in a plane?
No, you can do this just fine with Spektrum. Multiple receivers, as long as they are the same type, work fine together. You need to bind each one separately, then power everything down and start it all up together and they'll all work.

You can only have one TM1000 out there, though.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Quote:

The 10-12 hour charge is NOT a limitation. It says that you need to plug in the radio to the charger for "10 to 12 hours to fully charge the battery".

No where is that a limitation and that was confirmed with call to Horizon Hobby tech support yesterday.

You may read it however you want, but charging a battery that long will overcharge it, and the battery becomes hot. In your case it became too hot and the rest is history. If you overcharge your new battery the same as this one, you will have the same results. Spektrum engineering at it's best. That is why I don't use the included charger. I charge the battery on my trusty smart charger.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
I don't need to, not my batt that burned
Quote:
If all it takes is 10-12hrs then why leave it any longer.
Quote:
No sarcasm, just funny reading complaints/rants about a product when it could of been avoided by the end-user.

That's all I wanted to point out to others possibly reading looking to buying a radio that for the price is a very good radio. Don't want them to get the impression there is something wrong with it when a user decided to leave it charging much longer then it needed to be.

I am glad nothing worst happened to you, my wife would kill me if my hobby cause any harm or damage to my family and the home we live in.

PS: I wonder what ever happened to the good old rule of Never Charge Unattended
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
so you sit there for 12 hours watching your battery charge? you obviously have way more time on your hands than me.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
You may read it however you want, but charging a battery that long will overcharge it, and the battery becomes hot. In your case it became too hot and the rest is history. If you overcharge your new battery the same as this one, you will have the same results. Spektrum engineering at it's best. That is why I don't use the included charger. I charge the battery on my trusty smart charger.
I don't think it matters, he's selling his DX8. From the sounds of it(nail in the coffin quote), it wasn't his only issue. He does state that it "wasn't necessarily Spektrums fault", so he is taking partial blame.

I think in the DX8's case they designed the charger for the Lipo pack, but didn't put in any failsafes for the STOCK NiMH pack. Kinda sloppy engineering if you ask me.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
so you sit there for 12 hours watching your battery charge? you obviously have way more time on your hands than me.
Of course he does, look how many posts he's got! 13K+!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,087 Posts
Quote:
Never said I sat there for 12hrs. I charged my pack using a method that I could monitor it.

My main battery charger was built with many safety features and sensors to prevent such things. Why would I not take advantage of it. Did not take that long to reach full charge.

I have build myself a RC room in my basement and also have my laptop in there as well, I am able to do many things at once. A small tour of my rc room can be view here. Not yet completed and not all of my rc stuff is there yet.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...6-f93f903e5be1