HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Discussion
Post your pics how you transport your 50cc airplane in your SUV or car.

I've been considering buying a 50cc 3D airplane, yet I'm a little apprehensive about the ability to fit a 50cc airplane into my (ok, my wife's ) 2010 Buick Enclave SUV. Will some of you please post photos of how you transport your 50cc airplanes in your SUV...or even your car. Thanks.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:37 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
I could take a picture this weekend... I've got an 87" Extra SHP. The horizontal stabs are held on by two thumb screws each... I take those off, unplug the servo extensions, take off the wings of course, and put it in the car.

I drive a Kia Sorento SUV, so the back seat folds down flat, and the rudder comes up between the front seats. Then I just use a towel for wheel chocks.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:04 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
With a Taco Bell slogan in mind, Think "Outside" the Car....

In Most transports though, I use my Man Van.

George
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Last edited by refugeefromcalif; Feb 03, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:46 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
827 Posts
It will be an easy fit. I get an 89" Slick into a Toyota Prius by removing the stabs and landing gear.
John
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,863 Posts
The Buick, if I recall correctly, is huge. I currently have a Chip Hyde Double Vision Bipe (50 cc) and I fit it into a Mazda CX-9. I bought it used, and the horizontal stabs are permanently attached. It just fits nose against the tailgate, rudder against the back of my seat.

If I could remove the stabs, it would be even easier. Depending on what brand you are thinking of, most of the newer ones have removable stabs, and if you need any extra room for the rudder, just let it extend into the front between the seats.

I know a guy who transports an 89" Slick (huge 50 cc'r) in his Subaru Outback, and I've seen pictures of a guy who transports his 104" Slick (huge 100 cc'r) in his Subaru Forester. Also, if you are handy, it shouldn't be difficult at all to make your Rudder removable, which then makes transport even easier as well.

Good Luck!
CrashesALot is offline Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
50cc will fit into a 2-door coupe, there is even room alongside it for a 48"-ish plane or heli:
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
50cc will fit into a 2-door coupe, there is even room alongside it for a 48"-ish plane or heli:
You've been saving this thread in the back of your mind until you got that built havent ya?

Here is how I transport mine in my 2011 Sorento... along with a few others and a birthday present and some other random stuff. I use velcro cable ties to secure the landing gear to the carpet.

FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
here's a few of mine in a subaru impreza.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
That's pretty impressive. I'll bet you could put a few lumps of coal in there before you packed the planes and you'd have a diamond when you took them out!
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jan 2005
504 Posts
I don't have a picture handy, but I think you will find that most hatchbacks, SUVs and even some compact sedans will fit a 50cc plane.

I have a Slick 89" 50cc electric, probably the largest 50cc - 91" long with a huge rudder. It fits with a few inches to spare in my Toyota Matrix standard transmission (so it needs extra room to allow me to shift). The tail rests on the console that has the parking brake.

A fellow club member fit a Carden 50cc electric in his Toyota Corllolla 4 door. I was surprised that it fit, but it did.
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Quote:
Awesome! lol
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, NC, Robbins
Joined Jul 2008
659 Posts
Quote:
Holy cow crap Batman, thats a packing job. NICE
deerfreak is offline Find More Posts by deerfreak
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
I love this game... here's a pic of 120" airplane in a mazda3.

...but removable stabs are the key to small car transport happiness. Makes a 50cc easier to transport than most 30cc planes. mazda3 can do 100cc plane with two passengers, without passengers I've hauled a 100cc plane, a 30cc plane and two smaller electrics to an event similar to Irg's packing above.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
the only downside of having the 50cc, the 30cc, and a 48 in the car is I can't really fit my dog. physically she would fit, but the bull in a china shop factor comes into play.

arron, the 120 roo looks great. bring her to NJ
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
oh, something awesome about that photo of mine above...

when I left in the morning I got the car all packed up the same way. I made numerous trips back inside the house, forgetting things, remembering things, etc. when I finally went to start the car--yep, no keys. of course they couldn't have been anywhere but at the very bottom of the plane pile, under a moving blanket.