HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:34 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
Discussion
Small guns for clearing

What type of guns do you use to shoot clear on your models? I've been using my harbor freight 1.4 tip for clearing with automotive polyurethane but it seems like a waste of material and a mini gun would suit me better. For the base coats I use a .6 tipped airbrush to apply water based auto air wicked colors.

If you do use mini guns do you reduce the clear much to shoot through a smaller tip? I've been thinking of getting a gun like the iwata LPH80 with a 1.2 tip. Whataya think?

Thanks
alexhaben is offline Find More Posts by alexhaben
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,554 Posts
I choose which gun to use by the size of the project. If it's something small, like a cowl, I'd use my touchup gun. For a complete airframe, I use my full size, HVLP production gun.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
If your looking for quality paint jobs plan to spend some money. I use a two stage air brush suction gun and can paint planes with 84" wings or tiny details. Some automotive touch up - detail HVLP's will do a nice job also. You'll need tips rainging from 1.2 to 1.6 and they are for automotive paints, you cant paint latex with them. Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm slowly starting to get my quiver together for model painting. So far I have a cheapo Harbor freight airbrush which I haven't used yet with a .3 tip, should be good for detail if I every need to go that small? My painting workhorse is my iwata G6 .6 tip which does pretty well with the reduced waterborne paint. I have been shooting primer with a HF 1.4 and clear with another HF 1.4. It works alright but I could use a smaller tip like a 1.2 next to help minimize clearcoat over spray and be more precise.
alexhaben is offline Find More Posts by alexhaben
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Anyone want to educate me a bit about spray guns. I paint models with a air brush but recently found myself sand blasting a utility trail and then painting it with a brush. Didn't want to jump into a spray gun without some knowledge and I was in a bit of a rush to get the trailer done. Need the trailer to carry a bunch of gliders down to the desert. About all I know is what HVLP stands for. I have a big compressor and storage tank. I'm thinking one from HF will be cheap but do what I need.
Thanks
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Last edited by Raften; Feb 20, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
HVLP = High Volumn Low Pressure
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:20 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countilaw View Post
HVLP = High Volumn Low Pressure
Yep, knew that but what I don't know is why is that good, less over spray I suppose.

I guess I'll try another way, someone please steer me toward a good but not too expensive gun.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,554 Posts
I use an HVLP gun that my auto paint store calls a "production quality" gun. It has no visable brand label, either in the instructions, or on the gun.

Cost was around $150.00. It's done an excellent job using a variety of paints.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:44 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,664 Posts
I use a harbor freight touch up gun. It works, but you have to stay on top of it. It goes out of adjustment frequently and will sometimes fall apart in your hands. Then you get a bad squirt on the finish that has to be cleaned up. As long as you check it, you'll do ok. If you can afford it, I would go for a better quality gun like the others use. I'm on the cheap right now but will eventually get a good gun. One less thing to think about while painting. I use a paashe airbrush for spot clear coats like on vinyl decals.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old May 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhaben View Post
What type of guns do you use to shoot clear on your models? I've been using my harbor freight 1.4 tip for clearing with automotive polyurethane but it seems like a waste of material and a mini gun would suit me better. For the base coats I use a .6 tipped airbrush to apply water based auto air wicked colors.

If you do use mini guns do you reduce the clear much to shoot through a smaller tip? I've been thinking of getting a gun like the iwata LPH80 with a 1.2 tip. Whataya think?

Thanks
I determine the type of gun to use based on the size of the model that I'm going to paint. I like using automotive touch-up guns. For suction feed, I still have a couple of Badger 400's and the Binks model 115, both of these are great guns. I use the older 400 for primer, the other for base coats and the 115 for clear coats. These guns hold twice as much paint than my gravity feed guns but are a bit awkward to use with the trigger on the top of the gun. For gravity feed guns I use the old Sata Mini-jets: 1.0mm tip for base coats and 0.8mm tip for clear coats (I find the smaller tip atomizes the clear better).

Henry
bugdude is offline Find More Posts by bugdude