HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 03:55 PM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
2836 and 4s

I did a couple of fights on the stock setup, and I must say it flies pretty well, especially with an apc 6*5E prop. One thing I cant get sorted is that darn death spin! Happened 4 times in total.

I put in a turnigy 2836 today with a 4s 1800mah 65C Nanotech and a 5.5*4.5E apcprop. With this setup the plane is ballistic! There is no where near enough cooling with the stock motor location though, and I managed to leave a trail of smoke during a vertical climb. Managed to land it ok, but the motor is fried. I have removed all the foam around the motor now, and put a scoop on the top. I will test it tomorrow and upload some pics.
DerkJohn is offline Find More Posts by DerkJohn
Last edited by DerkJohn; Dec 06, 2011 at 02:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:50 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,163 Posts
Looking forward to it DJ. Get some vid if you can.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:55 PM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Crazy fast with a 2836 2350Kv (2800Kv)

I managed to get a new motor on today and put an air scoop on the top right above the plush 60A esc. All the foam was cut away around the motor for better airflow and the motor was bolted right onto the stock mount.

I removed some foam inside the fuz to make space for my 4s 1800 nano tech. I have it balanced at the front edge of the launch grips. It's still a bit nose heavy as it needs +- 2mm of up elevator, but I dont want to move it too far back because the death spin problem.

I have reinforced the wings with one strip of packing tape top and bottom.

Let me tell you, this thing is nuts! Its much faster than the skyfun on the same set-up. My guess is that it is around 130mph. The only downside is that it has to land a lot faster too, but that's easy enough to get used too.

This is my set-up:
Motor: Turnigy 2836 2350KV (actually 2800KV)
ESC: Plush 60A
Battery: 4cell 1800mah 65c-130c (This battery is the nuts! stays completely cool!)

On a side note, I managed to rewind the motor I burnt out with field windings from an old beetle generator. I spooled it up this evening and it seems great! I'll test it on a plane to see if it performs better than stock as the single strand windings I used are considerably thicker than the multi-strand windings in the stock motor.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:33 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,163 Posts
now I REALLY want to see video!!

Do some low fast passes. Start waaay out and go waaay beyond yourself straight and level so we can doppler it. Post the temp,altitude and wind speed and direction in the video.

Trev
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:15 AM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Flight vid coming soon

I'll get my little sister to take a video later today. I cant promise that the plane will be in the frame, but at least you will be able to hear it for doppler
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Here are some clips from earlier today. I had to edit it to make it shorter as my internet connection leaves a lot to be desired and it would not upload. I also could not zoom as it cuts the sound on the digital camera I was using.

Altitude: 1800m
Temp: 27*C
Wind: 5 km/h in the same direction as the first pass

Radjet on 4s and Turnigy 2836 2350kv (1 min 44 sec)
Last edited by DerkJohn; Dec 05, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 12:30 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,163 Posts
very impressive!!! your first pass was 132MPH. Your average after that was 130mPH range.

SWEET!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:24 PM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Cool! Thanks for dopplering it! What program are you using if I might ask?
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:50 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,163 Posts
just the RC-Speedo app for my iphone. dont worry. Its very accurate. Ive compared it many times to actual radar guns and Onboard GPS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:04 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
132 mph for under $80, nice work.

I just ordered one of these with some 3S 1800's, but realised afterwards i might struggle to get the COG right with the stock motor and heavier battery. Will i be able to get it balanced right or should i order some 1300's?

How are you guys fitting 4S packs?

What prop is a good upgrade for the stock motor?
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:04 AM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
132 mph for under $80, nice work.

I just ordered one of these with some 3S 1800's, but realised afterwards i might struggle to get the COG right with the stock motor and heavier battery. Will i be able to get it balanced right or should i order some 1300's?

How are you guys fitting 4S packs?

What prop is a good upgrade for the stock motor?
A 3s 1800 will work fine.You will have to remove the turtle deck (easy enough with a blade) and widen the fuse further back. The downside is that the airflow through the fuse will be blocked, so an additional vent hole is needed.

For the stock motor, I found an apc6*5e prop and 3s 1300 work great! You still have to remove some foam do get the battery far enough back though.

Have fun!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:26 AM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
AAAAAaagh! I have crazy thaoughts running through my mind that involve a Radjet, a turnigy 3648 1400kv motor and 6s 2200 lopo's!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:01 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkJohn View Post
A 3s 1800 will work fine.You will have to remove the turtle deck (easy enough with a blade) and widen the fuse further back. The downside is that the airflow through the fuse will be blocked, so an additional vent hole is needed.

For the stock motor, I found an apc6*5e prop and 3s 1300 work great! You still have to remove some foam do get the battery far enough back though.

Have fun!
Thanks, i've got a plastic spoon in the mod parts pile for a vent.

I'll grab me a few spare 6x5E's, whats the stock prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkJohn View Post
AAAAAaagh! I have crazy thaoughts running through my mind that involve a Radjet, a turnigy 3648 1400kv motor and 6s 2200 lopo's!
haha, 6S is where its at, the HV / low kv combo should run cooler and be more efficient. Let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Hey DJ,

To change the motor are you removing the hatch (just behind the turtle deck)???

I have removed the turtle deck (to make room for the 1800 3S) and it was only glued down the sides so quite easy to cut out but i've cut around the edges of the hatch and its still not budging, so i'm thinking it may be glued on the bottom which i cant cut out so not sure how to remove it.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:18 AM
skidding in the sky
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,109 Posts
Stock + a little

Hi all,

I maidened my Radjet a couple of days ago, and I think it's a really worthwhile little plane. Even in it's stock config.

I must say, it looks good in the sky

I broke my first prop during bench testing and with only 1 spare original I thought I'd better do some watt tests and see where I'm at, stock was then put up against some of the props I had handy...

Stock : 13A @ 146W
TGS 6x4E : 13.1A @ 145W
Generic5x5 : 10.6A @ 120W
JM6x4 : 13.4A @ 150W (also the quietest) Now my std prop.

Dumped the original prop adapter for a prop saver a quick look after 2 landings suggests it did its job well.

I'm looking forward to more flying on this little guy, I'm running the recommended 3S 1300 and its a pleasure to fly at that weight, I'm not in any great hurry to heat this one up, I think it's quite a pleasure to fly just as it it is.

Noted: With the minor JM prop addition.

WO

Oh, and what control horn hole are we using? Cheers.
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Last edited by WitnessOnly; Dec 14, 2011 at 05:00 PM.