HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:22 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Thursday Sept 9th - A Couple of 'Big Boys.'

Thursday found Julio (Racer59) out on The Lake with a couple of his big (84 inch hulls), gas-fueled, deep-vees. I was too late in the day to see them run as it had just turned 1pm, but I did get a few frames to share. See ya at The Lake
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:24 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Saturday, Sept 11: Preview :D

Well, I can't comment on what went on at today's meeting as I had to run an errand downtown during the same period and so couldn't attend, but I was there before and the membership turnout seemed good. The Go-Fastie Gang/Irregulars were well turned out at Lakeside and were having a great time when I got back around 12:40 and got the inaugural run for my new little go-fastie (a ProBoat Widowmaker-22). She needs a little work and tweaking so... a Capt's - Owner's work is never done!

It was also the sixth and final race of the season for the X-Class Free-Sail fleet during the afternoon. That's right! Sailboats racing without radios! *gasp*

Rented a new lens for a tryout; a Nikkor 300mm... Here are a few teasers of what's to come later in the week after I get a chance to work though the shots...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 14, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:55 AM
Modesto, California
Joined Apr 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Thursday found Julio (Racer59) out on The Lake with a couple of his big nitro-fueled deep-vees. I was too late in the day to see them run as it had just turned 1pm, but I did get a few frames to share. See ya at The Lake
Hey Craig Is there quite a few people that go to the lake on saturdays with gas powered boats?

thanks
Tim
ahkneenah is offline Find More Posts by ahkneenah
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:52 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,580 Posts
Quote:
a couple of his big nitro-fueled deep-vees.
Those are gasoline engines in the photo.

15 mph?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:18 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
896 Posts
Kmot We honor that in the case of a COP in the area otherwise it is be careful and Don't Hit anybody or anything. If you have any of that shot left and are going to be at the Riverside Do I''ll take one off your hands. Might be a few customers there also, think about it.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:32 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,580 Posts
I know, I know. I'm just pulling all ya'alls leg!

Sadly, I have been coopted for that weekend and I will be missing not only the INS Regatta but also my model airplane clubs float fly-in.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2006
51 Posts
Hey Craig,
Julio here. (racer59) Wanted to thank you for some photos of my two 84" Hull.
The red one used to be white but I had it repainted in deep red color to match the inline two cylinders I purchased from a local hobby shop owner. Lots of issue with the boat but I managed to get it going. Speed is around 35 mph. Stock two zenoah with clutch.
The White one is a copy of the Bonzi Hull. I installed a Quick Draw 35cc Motor with a direct drive on that one. The 35cc QD used to be on the red one before I received the other 84" white hull.
Thanks again for the shots. I like your black boat. Good Photos running above the water. Really looked cool !!!!
Racer59 is offline Find More Posts by Racer59
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:10 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkneenah View Post
Hey Craig Is there quite a few people that go to the lake on saturdays with gas powered boats?
Ted...

Not a crowd (which is nice - good run times without a lot of traffic or apparent frequency issues), but enough to keep things really fun and interesting! It seems to be about a half a dozen to a dozen or so regular drivers and their friends. My impression is also that most folks are also running multiple boats! Come on down - The more the merrier

Craig
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 13, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:09 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer59 View Post
Hey Craig,
Julio here. (racer59) Wanted to thank you for some photos of my two 84" Hull.
My pleasure, glad you like 'em *does a litttle happy dance* Working on some more shots. Stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer59 View Post
I like your black boat. Good Photos running above the water. Really looked cool !!!!
The lil' Widowmaker in the shots from September 4th isn't mine. I thought it was Kevin's but he says not, so I don't know who was driving it.

As to the shots though, yep! I was pretty happy with them. Those shots pushed me over the edge and I went out and bought one for me and I'd sworn that I'd never, ever, buy an RTR! LOL! It is definitely a neat little Go-Fastie! Fun to drive (even if handling is a bit twitchy), but the stock plastic prop definitely needs to be upgraded. I took my boat back out to The Lake on Sunday even though the weather was blah, got in a couple of practice laps then opened her up - and blew the prop clean away! Both blades sheared completely off at the base!!!

See ya at The Lake!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 13, 2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:31 PM
Modesto, California
Joined Apr 2009
42 Posts
Is anyone going out this saturday?

Thanks
Tim
ahkneenah is offline Find More Posts by ahkneenah
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
wow. great party.
evernic is offline Find More Posts by evernic
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkneenah View Post
Is anyone going out this saturday?
I'd assume so, 'specially if the weather's an nice as it was this Saturday past (Sunday was kind'a blah - "San Francisco Sunshine" - e.g. Fog).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 15, 2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Saturday Afternoon, Sept 11: X-Class Free Sail Racing

The sixth and final race of the season for the X-Class Free-Sail fleet - These are free-sailors, meaning no radios. The sheets and steering mechanisms are set by hand reflecting wind direction and conditions before each leg of the race and then the boat is pushed off to find its way along the course. The Capt's walk along the shore and turn and push the boats back away from the edge of The Lake.

In addition to being the oldest continuously operating club in the US, the SFMYC also has the oldest continuously operating and competing free-sail fleets in North America and possibly the Western Hemisphere. A number of the boats date back to the Golden Era of Model Yachting and beyond to the turn of the last century. Some are over 100 years old and almost all are still sailing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Oct 21, 2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:24 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Sunday Morning, Sept 12 - Electric & Steam Boats; free run time

1) More to come!

2) Well sometime Saturday night the weather turned and the fog rolled in off the Pacific, up over the beach and smothered Golden Gate Park for it's entire length. It was warm and sunny downtown and in many parts of The City, but as usual during this time of year, the Richmond and Sunset got fog!

probably because of the weather, turnout for the Sunday Electric and Steam free run time was light this week.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Feb 09, 2011 at 02:19 AM.