HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:05 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Nov 2009
220 Posts
See #55235 for suggestions. I have three rate options available to me, but with this kind of setup I have never needed anything other than high rates. My"full" flap deflection is maybe 80 degrees. Midpoint setting about half that. The plane feels "scale-like" with either setting. The only thing that changes is the angle of approach.

There will be a nose-up when flaps are dropped. I don't mix for it. Just drop my speed before dropping the flaps and apply a bit of down elevator with the stick. This leaves more options than having a fixed amount of elevator added to a mix. Don't forget, extreme flap angles are going to be a handful if you have to abort a landing. You are going to be very busy for a few seconds, trying to maintain flight while waiting for the flaps to retract.

Just use the bottom of the wing as a level reference. I like mine balanced more towards the rear of the CG range. Nose-heavy would require constant stick compensation in pitch, or a major up-elevator trim, which will cause a climb under full power. Fly it nose heavy and explore the handling with trim adjustments. Move weight back in small increments and eventually you will reach a point where it feels right for you with the elevator neutral or close to neutral for cruise flight. The FC is a pretty good hands-off flyer when you get your balance squared away.
wmetcalf is offline Find More Posts by wmetcalf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:23 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,919 Posts
for flap deflection, watch the landing starting at about 6:55 in this vid... looks like 60-80 the vid shows people in real planes using anything from 20-80 that I saw.... nearly always less flap on takeoff...

2014 Valdez STOL Competition (8 min 31 sec)
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:37 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
for flap deflection, watch the landing starting at about 6:55 in this vid... looks like 60-80 the vid shows people in real planes using anything from 20-80 that I saw.... nearly always less flap on takeoff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw
The winner had his flaps and Elev sinked or he was doing it manually But if you look close they both moved together on takeoff and landing. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:51 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,647 Posts
Gabe,

Anytime buddy!

daved20319,

According to the PA-18 TCDS (type certificate data sheet), the maximum deflection angle (full flap) is 50 deg, plus or minus 2 deg. The aircraft in the previous video are competition aircraft and the flaps are most likely not configured like a standard Super Cub. The FunCub's 90 flap angle is not scale but then again neither is the FunCub, it does add a good portion to the fun though! If you haven't flown with flaps before get used to the plane without them first then play with them at a good safe height to see how they effect the handling - I'm sure you'll be shooting short field approaches in no time! On the CoG, other than the front 2 1/4" the wing bottom is flat so you could use it or the bottom of the side windows for a horizontal reference line.

dac,

Nice find! I'll watch it after I post to get an shot of inspiration!

Cheers!

Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
556 Posts
Flight check found the small brass nut and washer missing from my elevator horn. Anyone know the size of those little bits? And a source?

One flap was loose so I'd like to have extra in case. The others are getting another shot of thread lock...
newTOpro is offline Find More Posts by newTOpro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Shop!!
Old Today, 03:05 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,229 Posts
^^
The thread is M2. Don't use too strong thread-lock, as that will strip the brass threads when/if you want to remove the nut.
I use the blue Loctite (242 or 243) and that is borderline.....
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO