SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Ron van Sommeren, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:47 PM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,440 Posts
Kv

Is it possible to have a motor which weighs around 70 grams, has a low KV rating of 500? I cannot find anything out on the internet. Is it possible to build a motor like this? Weight can be 70 - 100 grams.

Power 150-220 watts. Most importantly it has to be 400 - 500kv.

Am i dreaming?

Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:37 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine
Is it possible to have a motor which weighs around 70 grams, has a low KV rating of 500? I cannot find anything out on the internet. Is it possible to build a motor like this? Weight can be 70 - 100 grams.

Am i dreaming?

Simon

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777998

This motor could take a few more turns of 22AWG and give you 500kv. Timocharis wound 18T of 22AWG and has pics that shows plenty of room for more winds.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:40 AM View Post
criminallawyer
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while criminallawyer edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:34 AM
Chicago
Joined Jan 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
You can line the existing bell with old transformer ( i ) lamination iron..a guilloutine helps in cutting the strip width to the depth of bell required, cut longer than needed, hand roll around something wich is about 4 mm smaller to allow for spring back, then start trimming the ends off as they will have a flat on them,when you get close to the inner diameter of your bell,lay on a flat metal surface,take fine flat file one with a smooth edge to go down on the metal surface,squeeze the ring together so you file both ends together on the draw back stroke.by trying you can get a push fit and a perfect butt join.I use a little loc tite black max to glue them in and spin them with a drill in a toilet roll tube to even out and get rid of excess loc tite. I place the first magnet over the but join, when finished placing the magnets,i place a single drop on each end of magnet and use the same spin technique.when fitting stator i use the black marker to show witness to any rubbing and grind accordingly. so i might not be able to use max' thickness magnets but the lamination iron flux ring helps too.
You don't need to use the lamination iron, which is high silicon and hard o handle. Any iron or steel will work well, even old tin cans. You could machine an inner ring from free machining steel like 12L14.

I make the flux rin a little smaller and mill or broach flats into it to hold each magnet and give the right air gap. This gives an optimal magnetic circuit by eliminating the air gap where the magnet meets the flux ring and also holds the magnets in position during assembly.
unattainium is offline Find More Posts by unattainium
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
Chicago
Joined Jan 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop-er
I'm using a 25A car fuse between ESC and battery. If the current rises too much, the fuse blows, saving my ESC and battery. Easy and cheap.

Prop-er
I use a Variac transformer for the initial power up of new systems. The voltage can be lowered and the inherent current limiting helps keep the smoke inside electronic parts. I bought an old General Radio Variac on Ebay.

A Variac is an adjustable autotransformer with 110 volts AC in and output adjusted to be lower or higher than 110 AC.
unattainium is offline Find More Posts by unattainium
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:26 PM View Post
divorce certif
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while divorce certif edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 11:32 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
have not seen this tip in here yet, so I figured I'd add it:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52081
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:09 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine View Post

Am i dreaming?

Simon
take a look at your old thrown out computer in the garage
ever wondered about what was spinning your floppy disc?
its a dream come true
take apart, bear it up, rewind, remagnet, there you go
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Jan 05, 2010, 07:24 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
have not seen this tip in here yet, so I figured I'd add it:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52081
I have made several stylus winders the most effective has a ceramic bead in the tip all others including teflon dont last long before they wear/cut through to the holder.
I still use a fold of thin felt around the wire held in the tips of locking forcepts wich act as a resistive clutch and if i'm interupted i just let them hang with no slackening of winds.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:26 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
direct helicopter drive bldc motors

this long lost thread might interest someone, direct helicopter drive motor from 5.25" floppy drives
Direct Drive Main motor for microhelis finally ready!!!
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:15 AM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
542 Posts
Wrong thread
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1 Posts
how do you extend the shafting of the cd-rom motor? thanks
gregg474 is online now Find More Posts by gregg474
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:29 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,391 Posts
Typically extending the shaft requires replacement. There are many vendors that sell 3mm shafts. However the rails to your CDROM and DVD drives are 3mm hardened steel. They make good replacement shafts.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2010, 12:38 AM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Typically extending the shaft requires replacement. There are many vendors that sell 3mm shafts. However the rails to your CDROM and DVD drives are 3mm hardened steel. They make good replacement shafts.
I was to collect old and non working CDROM drive from my IT department. Almost free replacement.
VinCopter is offline Find More Posts by VinCopter