HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:59 AM
West Coast
Joined Jun 2005
139 Posts
Question
Brushless Retractable landing gear setup

SO I purhased this kit from aliexpress....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/22mm-...928788598.html

I have it all setup but cant get it to work. I have the UBEC connected to a 3s battery while the to motor wires enter a y-harness then connect to the UBEC. The signal wire from the y-harness is then connected to my receiver. I can get the gear to make any noises or do anything but my receiver is powered and connected and the UBEC is supplying power. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?
gofast070 is offline Find More Posts by gofast070
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:04 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast070 View Post
SO I purhased this kit from aliexpress....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/22mm-...928788598.html

I have it all setup but cant get it to work. I have the UBEC connected to a 3s battery while the to motor wires enter a y-harness then connect to the UBEC. The signal wire from the y-harness is then connected to my receiver. I can get the gear to make any noises or do anything but my receiver is powered and connected and the UBEC is supplying power. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?
The obvious question is have you assigned a switch to the channel that you have the retracts plugged into. I have found with these retracts that you need to cycle the switch at least once when applying power to get them to operate.

Try plugging just one retract in at the time without the legs to see if that helps. It may be that your BEC does not provide enough current. I looked at the ad for the retracts and there was no voltage specified so it's only a guess that it's 3.3 V.

You said you had a 3S battery connected to your you BEC but didn't mention what the output voltage was of the BEC. If it's a variable allowing 3.3 and 5 V I would try this report three first and then the five.

Short of that it may be you got defective units.

Hope that's of some help.
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Aug 04, 2014, 10:40 PM
West Coast
Joined Jun 2005
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
The obvious question is have you assigned a switch to the channel that you have the retracts plugged into. I have found with these retracts that you need to cycle the switch at least once when applying power to get them to operate.

Try plugging just one retract in at the time without the legs to see if that helps. It may be that your BEC does not provide enough current. I looked at the ad for the retracts and there was no voltage specified so it's only a guess that it's 3.3 V.

You said you had a 3S battery connected to your you BEC but didn't mention what the output voltage was of the BEC. If it's a variable allowing 3.3 and 5 V I would try this report three first and then the five.

Short of that it may be you got defective units.

Hope that's of some help.
Ok so I connected a 3.7V 1s lipo to my receiver. Connected a 3s lipo to the BEC. Connected the signal wire to the switch channel on the remote. Im getting 5.2V from the BEC. I have only one gear plugged in, nothing happens no twitches noises or any pulse at all. And this channel work with a standard servo just fine. I even plugged in a 1s 3.7V battery to it to see if maybe you hear ANYTHING at all, but nothing happens. On both of the gear two!! Im waiting on the sellers reply to the dispute on Aliexpress.com, hopefully they can help.
Last edited by gofast070; Aug 04, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 08:58 PM
West Coast
Joined Jun 2005
139 Posts
anybody know a sure shot way to see if these motors are working?? I assume they are brushless but am not really sure. I cant imagine that both the gear came to my door not working. I feel like im doing something wrong.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
Seeing as these are landing gears, i assume they use servo motors, since they are supposed to only have a restricted range of motion, instead of spinning indefinetly like proppelers
gbmaster137 is online now Find More Posts by gbmaster137
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:01 PM
West Coast
Joined Jun 2005
139 Posts
I know they are not servo motors. If you see them youd know it uses a brushed/brushless motor.

I had a helpful member explain that the retract motors and receiver needs to be on the same ground for anyone wondering. I had the retracts powering one battery and the receiver powering another.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:05 AM
West Coast
Joined Jun 2005
139 Posts
Got everything working but TWO odd things.

1.) in order to get the gear working consistently, I have to supply about 4.2V +/-.1V. If it goes over 4.2 than one gear works and the other is unresponsive, the closer to the 5 volts it gets, which is where it is supposed to be at, the more unresponsive they are. Oh well I just gave up and left it at 4.2V.

2) anytime i initially plug the copter main battery in, it gives a signal or something to the gear to retract up. The only way I can get around it is putting a switch between the gear power, powering up copter, then flipping the switch on to give power to the gear. This is only a band-aid. I think the real problem is the signal wire for the gear is connected to the receiver, and when I initially power on it is somehow getting the signal to retract very shortly and momentarily.