SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
72 Posts
Discussion
Aeroworks .60 - .90 Extra 300 ARF-QB

I have fitted it with an OS 95 4 stroke. It is a very nice plane, but it has a weird medium speed stall that I have never had on any of my previous models. I have watched many 3D plane videos and I have yet to see one of them do that, at any flying speed. I have spent a good part of last summer to try and figure a way to correct it, but..........

I will try to describe what happens :

Whenever I try to level the plane from a vertical dive, the right wing will stall when this plane is almost horizontal.

I can level the plane, without accelerating, and it will fly a least a hundred yards before it starts wagging its wings in warning of an upcoming stall. Now with a little throttle (25%) at the end of the dive, all is normal.

That is the part I do not understand as this plane is then flying “too fast” to stall and it is not a snap as the tail stays in line with the flight path.
Even though the CG is at the right place and the wings are balanced, could the dead weight of the OS 95 be too important at the front ?

Could the flat stab lose "aerodynamic flight" and forces one to put way "too much elevator" to level the plane and induce a medium speed stall ?

Has anyone heard about it or seen that problem yet ?

Thanks
N.E.R.F is offline Find More Posts by N.E.R.F
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:17 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
A stall can happen at any airspeed.
A stall occurs when there is an interuption of the laminar air flow.
You may try playing with the aileron. raising it or lowering it, or both.
I would check your wing incidences, and your tail surfaces.
Is this a new plane if so I would call aeroworks
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:17 PM
NZ - Where Kiwi's love to fly.
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2010
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.R.F View Post
.............Even though the CG is at the right place and the wings are balanced, could the dead weight of the OS 95 be too important at the front ?
Not that I own one, but as a number of these are being powered with DLE20 (1.20ci) gas motors, I'm gonna safely say that it's not the motor as it's odds on way lighter than the DLE20!
Pic's of the setup and control surfaces from differing angles might help people with the diagnostics of the issue.
kiwibob72 is offline Find More Posts by kiwibob72
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
I had one of these and got rid of it because it would snap out and tip stall at the slightest provocation. Hated that heavy turd of a plane, lol
CRFan1 is offline Find More Posts by CRFan1
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I had one of these and got rid of it because it would snap out and tip stall at the slightest provocation. Hated that heavy turd of a plane, lol
That is exactly what happens with mine.
A friend has the EF version and he can play with it at any speed without surprises. His has a foil stab and rudder, the rest is identical to mine.

That was my first 3D model after a break of 15 years, Not a good re-introduction to flying.
Anyway there is a much bigger one coming from EF.
Last edited by N.E.R.F; Feb 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
72 Posts
I have checked and tried so many things last summer that I got discouraged and left the plane aside for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
A stall can happen at any airspeed.
A stall occurs when there is an interuption of the laminar air flow.
You may try playing with the aileron. raising it or lowering it, or both.
I would check your wing incidences, and your tail surfaces.
Is this a new plane if so I would call aeroworks
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:55 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
Now your talking. That EF should do the trick.
Are you going to do a build thread on the EF
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
72 Posts
Before I do it, I have to get better acquainted with how it is done. It is my first 91" and I have a lot more questions than answers. I have been searching and will be watching several more forums to find out the "how to's".

N.E.R.F
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
If you start the build we'll all help along the way.
I've set up alot of gassers.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:44 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.R.F View Post
That is exactly what happens with mine.
A friend has the EF version and he can play with it at any speed without surprises. His has a foil stab and rudder, the rest is identical to mine.

That was my first 3D model after a break of 15 years, Not a good re-introduction to flying.
Anyway there is a much bigger one coming from EF.

All I fly is EF or 3DHS (Gas and Electric) anymore....they fly tremendously well, have no bad tendencies and are light and floaty. You will enjoy it, trust me, hehe.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:49 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
CR where have you been? I havn't seen you over at the twist thread in awhile
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
The first thing I would check would be wing incidence. As previously stated, stalls can occur at any airspeed. If I understand correctly the wing drops as your pulling out from a dive, which would seem to me to be an AOA (angle of attack) issue, which could cause the whole wing to lose 'lift' without a snap. Just my 2c.
duncanjlee is offline Find More Posts by duncanjlee
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:01 AM
Northwest Indiana
Joined Feb 2011
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
CR where have you been? I havn't seen you over at the twist thread in awhile
Hey Kerwin...I have been around but have not been posting much on RC Groups. Still fly every weekend though