SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Discussion
Backyard Flyer with Aileron Control?

I have been flying RC helicopters for a long time. I got into them initially because I wanted to fly in the backyard whenever I wanted rather than heading down to some field. Recently I came across the Night Vapor and picked it up for my son for Christmas. Man, it is A LOT of fun and is perfect in the backyard. It is driving me crazy though that it does not have aileron control. Wondering if there are any backyard type flyers like the Night Vapor that also have aileron control? So much the better if it is Spektrum as I have a DX6i.

Thanks!
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Well how big is your back yard? Obstructions like trees and poles? You could get a Champ and mod it for ailerons. But it would depend on just how much room you have.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
What about a MiniBipe? It's wingspan is close to that of the Night Vapor and it's capable of some pretty slow flight. However, it too, would need to be modified to use ailerons, but it doesn't look like it would be that difficult.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
I 've seen many video people fly their 3d profile in their backyard or infront of their house, may be you should look at something like that. Some mirco slow flyer just don't need aileron and is no point for those company make another control surface for more cost of production.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:22 AM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
What about a MiniBipe? It's wingspan is close to that of the Night Vapor and it's capable of some pretty slow flight. However, it too, would need to be modified to use ailerons, but it doesn't look like it would be that difficult.
this plane looks really fun!
Capt Buddy is offline Find More Posts by Capt Buddy
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,444 Posts
Well you fly Heli, so you should pick up 3d flying pretty quickly. Here a video of one flying in their backyard.
Slicko Back Yard Flight (4 min 15 sec)
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Buddy View Post
this plane looks really fun!
Yeah. I showed that to a buddy of mine as a possible plane for his 12 year old but the kid had his heart set on a Cub, so I don't really have any first hand experience with it, but like you said, it looks like a great plane; super stable.

I might also recommend Twisted Hobbys' new Mini Crack Yak. It's a little bigger than the Night Vapor and will most likely handle some wind, whereas the Night Vapor probably doesn't.

If you've got the room, the bigger 32" models (or the Slicko above) might be a better choice as they can handle more wind.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
I live on LiPos
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Get a PZ micro T-28. great plane
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAirplaneNoob View Post
Get a PZ micro T-28. great plane
This one looks great. However, I think it needs a wider area than my backyard. I have about an acre but there are a lot of trees. Works fine for a 400 class heli but of course those can hover. I am thinking the vapor is probably the best I can do at home and would need to take anything faster out to a park or lot. The Vapor is still a heck of a lot of fun though and a nice change from all the helis.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:58 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,140 Posts
Check out the Ares Gamma 370 Pro with aileron wing and brushless motor. Bigger than a Champ and lighter than a Super Cub. It might hit your sweet spot perfectly.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:38 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
I think the micro T-28 has ailerons.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Yeah. I showed that to a buddy of mine as a possible plane for his 12 year old but the kid had his heart set on a Cub, so I don't really have any first hand experience with it, but like you said, it looks like a great plane; super stable.

I might also recommend Twisted Hobbys' new Mini Crack Yak. It's a little bigger than the Night Vapor and will most likely handle some wind, whereas the Night Vapor probably doesn't.

If you've got the room, the bigger 32" models (or the Slicko above) might be a better choice as they can handle more wind.
i have the twisted edge 540 and yes indeed i can fly it in the back yard,not very well yet but i can
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Check out the Ares Gamma 370 Pro with aileron wing and brushless motor. Bigger than a Champ and lighter than a Super Cub. It might hit your sweet spot perfectly.
Too big and quick for the backyard. Would likely need to stick with Ultra Micro.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
I think the micro T-28 has ailerons.
It does.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,289 Posts
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...OT-BLUE-04.htm

This is what i fly in my very small yard, i have seen guys floating these in there front room what is nice here is the easy repair when you crash. it flys and hovers like a dream !! I have stuck it on a fence,hit the power lines,crashed on neighbors roof, hung it in a tree,and nosed it in to the ground,a touch of welders glue and she is good as new
fastfwd is online now Find More Posts by fastfwd