HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2014, 04:40 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanzio View Post
Probly been asked a million times, im definitely an intermediate pilot, would this airframe be manageable?
Yeah you will be fine mate,i've seen people who have never flown an EDF before and do fine with this as a first EDF,check out youtube it's full of first time EDF fliers who seem to handle it with ease,ok there are always the odd few will will make mistakes but that's the nature of our hobby,you will really enjoy this one mate and i've still got my first one which was a kit and put my own power train in it,plus i got one of the limited camo additions which is still all stock.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2014, 05:46 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
754 Posts
Excellent video guys.

Easy way to remember it is this (while on final approach),
1) Control altitude with your speed (Throttle).
Just throttle back and let the aircraft find a speed at which it slowly begins to descend. You need to be a shade nose heavy for this to work right.
2) Your elevator are your brakes.
In this low throttle situation, when you pull back (Gently) on the stick to flare, the aircraft does not have enough speed/power to climb, so it slows down an inch above the ground, loses lift and settles gently onto it's wheels at a manageable speed.

The Vixen was my first EDF and I feel it makes an ideal EDF trainer. It glides very well and landings are no faster than my prop aircraft. In fact it glides as well or better than my WW2 fighters.
Ryanzio, if you can fly a WW2 fighter you should be ok with this. You need a longer than usual takeoff run, but landings are about normal. And remember the battery won't last as long as a prop model.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Sep 08, 2014, 07:00 PM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
Thanks lads, i decided to go for it, plus is a british cold war jet, something a bit different
Ryanzio is offline Find More Posts by Ryanzio
Old Sep 14, 2014, 02:31 AM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
Well had a successful first flight, however on a relatively smooth landing the front nose wheel gave out, anyway to fix this easily?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Jun 2013
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanzio View Post
Well had a successful first flight, however on a relatively smooth landing the front nose wheel gave out, anyway to fix this easily?
I have had the same nose wheel issue! On a very very soft landing :-/

My friend has the same issue as this with the vampire!

Can anyone recommend nose wheel reinforcement tactics for the vixen??
Markwrd is offline Find More Posts by Markwrd
Old Sep 14, 2014, 03:35 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,586 Posts
Make a 1/16" plywood mounting board bigger than the main area of mounting cut a slot in the fuse and glue and slide in. Fill slot in fuse and paint.
The idea is to give a big area of contact with the fuse to spread the load, you can do a similar thing in the wing if you have trouble with the mains.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Sep 14, 2014, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Jun 2013
26 Posts
Awesome will give it a go, thanks ��
Markwrd is offline Find More Posts by Markwrd
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
754 Posts
Where did it fail? Did the plastic mount come loose?
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2014
28 Posts
it broke the actual metal rod that runs down the middle, looked like a cast iron type break
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
100 Posts
Rubber wheel retract

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySean View Post
Found the cause of my nosewheel falling out - On disassembling the retract mechanism, there should be a circlip holding it in, inside the retract, which was missing assumed broken. Replaced this and all good for the next flight.

I also upgraded the wheels to these, a perfect fit and almost a drop in replacement.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Strut_Set.html
They are very well built and the movement is smooth and solid. The light springs seem to be fine for the Vixen. I fly from a grass field, although it is very well kept and smooth. So these should make landing even more pretty, and they certainly look the part.
The existing struts were cut off at the correct length and fit straight in to the new oleos.
All that was needed was to dremel a flat spot on each pin, dremel out the rear wheel bays in a few spots to accommodate the different geometry, and as the nose wheel was now 6mm longer I had to move the steering servo back 1cm. A few hours work and well worth it I think. I'll add more photos soon.

Hey guys ....

what about a rubber wheel retract set for this model ?

Any advice ?
drone19730602 is offline Find More Posts by drone19730602