HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2008
77 Posts
Discussion
Wing Shear, Bending and Spar Spreadsheet

I've been wondering how to calculate the shear loading and bending moments of a canteliever wing for a while, so I decided to look it up. I found a good paper and a helpful wikipedia article. I decided to make a spreadsheet to do the calculations for me. It determines the Limit Shear and Bending moments using the Schrenk elliptical approximation, then on the next spreadsheet you can design an I-beam spar using the data. I also included several common building material strengths and had the spreadsheet determine if these materials were strong enough in bending moment for the spar at the given section points.

Its has some limitations mostly that you cannot tell what will happen when you use different materials for the spar caps and shear web. Also it doesn't determine if the spar is strong enough in shear, but it is my assumption that if it is strong enough in bending it should be strong enough in shear.

Use:
Place your aircraft information into the purple boxes. Go to the next spreadsheet and design your spar by changing the data in the purple boxes making sure the material you wish to build with can handle the stress.

Paper: http://www.lightaircraftassociation....roximation.pdf
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_...l_axis_theorem

Scott
Spamman127 is offline Find More Posts by Spamman127
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
243 Posts
Thank you for posting this, unfortunately, I am not used to imperial units so didn't really inderstand the nitty gritty of the spreadsheet but the paper looks clear and concise.
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Last edited by Panoramix; Nov 10, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
collection of info on spar construction
http://ciurpita.tripod.com/rc/notes/compositeSpar.html
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
TEAM FUTABA TEAM DURALITE
Joined Nov 2004
742 Posts
I threw a little something t'gether a few years ago....

takes the planform, applies Schrenks, calculates the moment at multiple locations along the span, calculates the shear, calculates the shear web thickness based on material properties.. as well as spar cap thickness...
mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by mithrandir