HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Joined Feb 2014
64 Posts
Firat craft to ever have a radio issue for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw View Post
Hi,

I crashed my Su-35 a month or so ago. I think it was a radio issue... I think the Su-35 essentially went "out of range". At the time, I was using a DX6i transmitter and horizon 6 channel receiver with sat (can't remember the number). Afterward, the range on the Su-35 was lower using range check than my other planes. Power on the transmitter was 5.5v. I flew other planes afterward successfully with the same tx and power.

What Tx /Rx were you using? Just curious...I've never before ever had an issue with loss of radio signal. I had an Rx pack short back in the late 1990's but I'm not counting that one since that's more of a power issue
DX9 transmitter, AR9310 receiver w/one Satellite receiver.

I always have my transmitter charged to full before I go to the field. I've never been below 7.4v after my day I done.

It's a mystery, but I purchased a Flight Log module for next time...
Undermoose is online now Find More Posts by Undermoose
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
My request to you was to see how your SU-35 is layed out.

If it's already on this thread then a quick link to it should be pretty fast to offer. This is an exchange of information thread so I don't think I was asking foe anything unusual, yes?

I'd like to see how neatly you tucked away the wiring and how easy it is to access your radio batteries. It's a tight space and I am using one honking 8amp pack to power my SU.

Thank you.
Easy buddy. I shared, you're just not looking.
It was just posted how to view any threads gallery. You can also select author where it sorts the pics by the person. You flip through and there you are. The time it takes for me to find the same and then post a link, you could have just done the same and looked. Your complaint is that the threads long.... This is actually one of the reasons why but you're new so here's the link and hopefully you can start using the search tools to find more instead of adding many posts asking for what you could easily find yourself.

You'll have to zoom in to the pic to see the nothing as I mentioned and the ample space to place even a bigger battery.
You must not have looked at the link for the batt and its size as they are very small.

For a closer look I'd have to take more pics of the wires that you still can't see. All my radio wires are tucked in the top channel behind the battery hatch so the wires aren't readily visible. A lot of the pics in my gallery it looks empty other than the ESC Batt wires and the BEC wire. Everything else is up in the upper channel or side channels forward. Tonnes of room!
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2014
64 Posts
I'm not complaining, it's just doing it on a mobile phone is rough lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Easy buddy. I shared, you're just not looking.
It was just posted how to view any threads gallery. You can also select author where it sorts the pics by the person. You flip through and there you are. The time it takes for me to find the same and then post a link, you could have just done the same and looked. Your complaint is that the threads long.... This is actually one of the reasons why but you're new so here's the link and hopefully you can start using the search tools to find more instead of adding many posts asking for what you could easily find yourself.

You'll have to zoom in to the pic to see the nothing as I mentioned and the ample space to place even a bigger battery.
You must not have looked at the link for the batt and its size as they are very small.

For a closer look I'd have to take more pics of the wires that you still can't see. All my radio wires are tucked in the top channel behind the battery hatch so the wires aren't readily visible. A lot of the pics in my gallery it looks empty other than the ESC Batt wires and the BEC wire. Everything else is up in the upper channel or side channels forward. Tonnes of room!
I'm back from work now and looking!

I'm glassing mine, just got my Jepe glass in the mail today. So I may also do some of the balsa work I'm seeing. I'll need to chew on this a bit.

I found out on my maiden how easy the nose breaks off. It was easy to repair but never looks quite right after. Well it can if you put enough time, materials, and effort, but I was still learning the plane and figured I needed function over form at that point.

As for the 850mah LIPO, cheap! 44g each, do you think two of these simultaneous connection is enough to power the receiver, satellites, and all the servos? I don't know how to measure the draw requirements.

Thanks!
Last edited by Undermoose; Yesterday at 07:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Joined Feb 2014
64 Posts
Is that a telescoping nose gear strut support beam?

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,124 Posts
One of those 850mah lipos will be enough to power your rx and servos/lg...
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2014
64 Posts
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
One of those 850mah lipos will be enough to power your rx and servos/lg...
How long would an 850mah pack last with an AR9110 receiver, four satellite receivers, plus 9 active servos (7 Hitec 5055 9g digital metal gear servos, 2 17g Freewing digital). I'm just curious, I'd always charge before the flight, but at the end of a 4 minute flight where would that pack be?

Thanks DamonH!
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,124 Posts
I'm not 100% sure because it really depends on your flight style and how much you are working everything but you could get two to three flights out of it. I would have a couple or so of the batts and just swap them out each flight. You could also check the batt after a flight a see what was left and determine if you could fly again.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undermoose View Post
Is that a telescoping nose
I posted how it was done with pictures.
As for your concern with the Spek RX and satellites, why don't you read the RX manual. They post the consumption rate. You'll find there's no special concern.
Since most ESCs internal BECs are 3, 5 and 8 amps that work with that set up why would 20 amps from a battery be a concern?
Like I already answered you you can get 3 flights out of 850mah 25 C RX Batt. But just use them for one flight since you're so concerned about reliability.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2014
64 Posts
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I'm not 100% sure because it really depends on your flight style and how much you are working everything but you could get two to three flights out of it. I would have a couple or so of the batts and just swap them out each flight. You could also check the batt after a flight a see what was left and determine if you could fly again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
I posted how it was done with pictures.
As for your concern with the Spek RX and satellites, why don't you read the RX manual. They post the consumption rate. You'll find there's no special concern.
Since most ESCs internal BECs are 3, 5 and 8 amps that work with that set up why would 20 amps from a battery be a concern?
Like I already answered you you can get 3 flights out of 850mah 25 C RX Batt. But just use them for one flight since you're so concerned about reliability.
Maxthrottle, it's apparent you have years of modeling experience, and probably a profession behind it all lol. I can't possibly assimilate it all, but I'll try I've been at this almost a year (June 2013 was my first RC plane - a Champ! - First flown in Late September 2013).

I could do the calculations, but I'd trust real world experience more than math for an imperfect science (many variables). Sounds like a plan to go dual 850's.

I may just bite the bullet and get Spektrum VRs and power the Power Safe per their spec using those small LIPO packs. The weight will be distributed and I'll vent the VR's downside in front of the air intakes.

I wrote ZTW to see if their Gecko 125amp w/8amp SBEC support parallel power to a receiver. I don't think they do, but I'd trust dual power in that method too I think.

Last edited by Undermoose; Yesterday at 10:19 PM.