HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:01 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,273 Posts
Just got the yellow kit in the mail. They do mean "Kit". Nothing is glued in place, Nothing. Guess it will be fun making sure its all put together properly with mods as I go along. Love the great boxing, not a scratch in shipping.
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:18 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Finally got the maiden flight out of the way. Nice flying plane. Had a 2200 4S in it.

Didn't do anything crazy, just trimmed it out, did some rolls, knife edge flight, reverse cubans, a few hammerheads, and loops. Easy to land, slows down very well, typical bipe behavior. The rudder seemed very strong.

For my type of flying, it definitely needs the CG moved way behind the recommended position. Moved it back on the 2nd flight and it could have been moved back even further, maybe to the rear most portion of the battery area.

On the 2nd flight I had a slight mishap, my cheapo Assan module on my Futaba 9CAP decided to lose the lock. Thought I was going to end up in the trees but it glides very nicely and landed off the field in a squash patch. The only damage was the gear was bent and I think I need to reinforce the gear area a bit, other than that, no damage at all.

All in all, a nice flying plane. Can't wait to get it back in the air and try some harriers and maybe a little hovering.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
633 Posts
I move mine all the way back. On Nitro they show the batt positions and that is what I've been flying. 1800 and 2200
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
633 Posts
I put double sided Velcro I the batt compartment to avoid sliding around.
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Finally got the maiden flight out of the way. Nice flying plane. Had a 2200 4S in it.

Didn't do anything crazy, just trimmed it out, did some rolls, knife edge flight, reverse cubans, a few hammerheads, and loops. Easy to land, slows down very well, typical bipe behavior. The rudder seemed very strong.

For my type of flying, it definitely needs the CG moved way behind the recommended position. Moved it back on the 2nd flight and it could have been moved back even further, maybe to the rear most portion of the battery area.

On the 2nd flight I had a slight mishap, my cheapo Assan module on my Futaba 9CAP decided to lose the lock. Thought I was going to end up in the trees but it glides very nicely and landed off the field in a squash patch. The only damage was the gear was bent and I think I need to reinforce the gear area a bit, other than that, no damage at all.

All in all, a nice flying plane. Can't wait to get it back in the air and try some harriers and maybe a little hovering.

Bob
I attached how I reinforced landing gear area. Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,029 Posts
I also replaced the 2mm screws with #4 socket head screws, I felt originals were soft and too short.
Tim
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
I also replaced the 2mm screws with #4 socket head screws, I felt originals were soft and too short.
Tim
W4YN,,,, W4HLK.......

Nice Mod.... The gear is a soft point " No pun" on this plane...
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:46 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
I attached how I reinforced landing gear area. Tim
Tim, hard to tell what you did. Did you rip out everything and stick in a block of wood and glued the mount to that?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:14 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
990 Posts
Quote:
Tnx, the crash was my problem for sure, I was flying T-28 and Albatros just before and they are different birds altogether. The battery was secured, I even use a balsa block behind battery as extra insurance and a velco strap.
Thinking back I probably gave it full throttle and had it on high rate, it just got ahead of my 66 yr old thumbs!
I have done some light reenforcing around wing and landing gear retainers also went to socket head #4 screws a bit longer than in kit for wing and landing gear.
The balsa block behind motor mount was a good addition as I see no damage from landing prop first!
Tim
Good luck with it! Wow, that's a lot of coloring with sharpies! Looks nice.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:23 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
990 Posts
Quote:
Tim, hard to tell what you did. Did you rip out everything and stick in a block of wood and glued the mount to that?
I epoxied and used stock screws on mine with no problems so far. Flying off of thin, trimmed grass. See earlier posts for all the mods.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Did not rip out. I used a 2 1/4x3/8 balsa filler pieces below mount (need 2 due to undercut below plastic mount they had 45 degree splice in middle so I could squeeze them in). I poured 30 minute epoxy over the 2 pieces then topped off with another piece of balsa same size as opening in plastic mount. After it dried I sanded flush with mount. Should stiffen up a bit and not add much weight.

Tim
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
W4YN,,,, W4HLK.......

Nice Mod.... The gear is a soft point " No pun" on this plane...
Used balsa filler between lower and upper wing plastic bits to give them a bit more stiffness also. Tim
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,273 Posts
Decided to trim the cowl an let that "Beautiful Radial" get some breeze.

I always liked the look of the open motor on biplanes...

what do you guys think? It's a good way to use the cowl after it's been ground down or crashed....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
looks great . really makes the engine stand out . some times its the lil thing you do that make some thing llook better or perform better "in you case look )
cheers
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Sep 2012
122 Posts
Hey Folks,
I've been thinking about this plane but I was wondering if it would fly well with 3300 4S packs? I'm mostly interested in sport/aerobatic flying and if I decide to get into 3D I'll pick up some lighter packs. For now I'd like to find a decent biplane to help ease me back into the hobby and I already have a couple of 3300's for a P-51 I'm building. Any thoughts?

Thanks....
GooberRC is offline Find More Posts by GooberRC