SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:00 AM
DANNYSPEED
Guest
n/a Posts
What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in a GP
1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the engine
loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS advice.
I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the
verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:01 AM
Ted Campanelli
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

On 8/29/2003 8:20 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I am not sure how the Zinger compares to the APC and Master Airscrew in
performance. If it compares about the same as a Master Airscrew, a
simple change to an APC MAY solve your problem (APC is a more efficient
prop).

If it is closer to an APC in performance, I would try some of the
following: 18 x 6; 16 x 10; 16 x 8 for better vertical. You will
probably lose a little on top speed, but your vertical will be better.

Just my $0.02 worth.

> Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in a GP
> 1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the engine
> loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS advice.
> I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the
> verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.


Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:01 AM
Ed Cregger
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

I like the APC 18x8 for the OS 1.60FX. Depending upon the model, naturally.

Ed Cregger


"Ted Campanelli" <tcamp@grumpyoldmen.com> wrote in message
news:3F4F9437.3060808@grumpyoldmen.com...
> On 8/29/2003 8:20 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
> great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:
>
> I am not sure how the Zinger compares to the APC and Master Airscrew in
> performance. If it compares about the same as a Master Airscrew, a
> simple change to an APC MAY solve your problem (APC is a more efficient
> prop).
>
> If it is closer to an APC in performance, I would try some of the
> following: 18 x 6; 16 x 10; 16 x 8 for better vertical. You will
> probably lose a little on top speed, but your vertical will be better.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth.
>
> > Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in

a GP
> > 1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the

engine
> > loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS

advice.
> > I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the
> > verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.

>



Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:01 AM
Mathew Kirsch
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

dannyspeed@aol.com (DANNYSPEED) wrote in message news:<20030829082049.19859.00000096@mb-m28.aol.com>...
> Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in a GP
> 1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the engine
> loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS advice.
> I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the
> verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.


I've been running an 18x6W APC prop on a 1.20-size Ultra Stick and a
1/4 scale CAP232.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:01 AM
Brian Jolicoeur
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

APC 18X6W for best vertical and overall performance. The 18X8 is good too.

"Mathew Kirsch" <mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
news:d6bf3430.0308291152.3bc7ab60@posting.google.c om...
> dannyspeed@aol.com (DANNYSPEED) wrote in message

news:<20030829082049.19859.00000096@mb-m28.aol.com>...
> > Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in

a GP
> > 1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the

engine
> > loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS

advice.
> > I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the
> > verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.

>
> I've been running an 18x6W APC prop on a 1.20-size Ultra Stick and a
> 1/4 scale CAP232.



Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:01 AM
Bob B
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

Dan I have the same engine in one of my Giles and I run a Pro Zinger
18x8 on it with good results, I also run a Pro Zinger 19x10 and like
the way it pulls the Giles a little better than the 18x8. Some guy's
have said that the 19 is to much prop for the 1.60 but I have been
running it for a year and not a problem, It also helps slow the Giles
down on final. Strange how you get different advise about the break in
on the 1.60, I broke all three of my 1.60's in on a Master Airscrew
16x8 and have never had a problem with any of them.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 02:01 AM
DANNYSPEED
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

Thanks for the advice guys, I have an APC 18 X 6w and I think I'll try it but
the next time I'm at the hobby shop I'll see what else is available. Last year
I saw a Giles just like mine with a Webra 1.2 on and it really moved, no lack
of power there. Mine seams to have average speed and goes vertical pretty well
but you know that you always want more. Thanks again, Dan.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:00 AM
Ed Cregger
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

Being a ringed engine, it is good to run a smaller than normal prop during
break-in, but at the projected operating rpm, while maintaining a rich
mixture. Your combo sounds spot-on to me, Bob.

Ed Cregger


"Bob B" <bleicher@nnex.net> wrote in message
news:27b458a2.0308291426.6a4c8669@posting.google.c om...
> Dan I have the same engine in one of my Giles and I run a Pro Zinger
> 18x8 on it with good results, I also run a Pro Zinger 19x10 and like
> the way it pulls the Giles a little better than the 18x8. Some guy's
> have said that the 19 is to much prop for the 1.60 but I have been
> running it for a year and not a problem, It also helps slow the Giles
> down on final. Strange how you get different advise about the break in
> on the 1.60, I broke all three of my 1.60's in on a Master Airscrew
> 16x8 and have never had a problem with any of them.



Old Sep 01, 2003, 02:01 AM
Frank Costa
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

I have been using a standard Zinger 18X6, turning around 9000rpm after break
in. I have an APC 18X6w I haven't tried yet, but in many places I've read
that it is a great prop for this engine.

"DANNYSPEED" <dannyspeed@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20030829082049.19859.00000096@mb-m28.aol.com...
> Hi, What prop works best for an OS 1.6 FX with stock muffler running in a

GP
> 1/4 scale Giles 202? I think that I have enough fuel thru it to turn the

engine
> loose and see what happens. I have been running a Zinger 18 X 10 on LHS

advice.
> I do not know what the RPM is but it seams bog down slightly on the
> verticals.Still running rich on straight level flight. TIA, Dan.



Old Sep 02, 2003, 02:00 AM
DANNYSPEED
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: What Prop for OS 1.6 FX?

Hello Again, I flew the Giles yesterday with the APC 18 X 6w. The speed was
better and the vertical is almost unlimited. Engine is not quite broken in yet.
Still running a little rich as a vapor trail can be seen while in straight and
level flight. I think I'll try an APC 18 X 8 if I can get one athe the Hobby
shop. Thanks, Dan.
 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found wanted Muffler for OS 1.60 FX jfint Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 May 20, 2006 01:08 AM
Question What prop for 3:1 gear drive on Wingo michaeljt Foamies (Kits) 2 Mar 06, 2004 09:22 PM
what prop for miniflash with b20 15l 4:1 & TP21003s pack RCZohn Power Systems 3 Sep 21, 2003 10:13 PM
what prop for miniAC16 turn, 1.7 to 1 ratio rilak0 Parkflyers 0 Jun 08, 2003 07:54 PM
What prop for a Mini AC 1215/20 & 4.1.1 gearbox hoverkid87 Power Systems 6 Feb 24, 2003 09:09 PM