New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:07 AM
Find More Posts by spastic thumbz
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
Discussion
My h107d mods-etc.

Hi everyone. This will be my second post here. I figured I would open up a more comprehensive post rather than cluttering up the main thread and lose info. Forgive me if it's a bit long-winded, but I like to be thorough. I've only had this thing a little over a month and already its become an expensive hobby. I bought a crash pack, a ton of props and now have 8 380 lipos with 5 500mah on the way. So far I have added a custom wide angle lens, moved the antenna to the side, and removed the rubber feet and factory antenna loops on the bottom. I also moved both the vrx and the control tx outside the case. I plan on mounting either an 808 or a hubsan hd module to it.

Since most of you guys were the main source of info here feel free to take credit and chime in here with advice. I forget exactly where i see things or the names attached. (Age, laziness, and past substance abuse may or may not play a serious role here...)

Anyways, I haven't really taken it out far enough to stretch its legs, but flying on my cul de sac I can get it out about 75 yards and still have a good video connection. So far it's been a blast. I even bought my son a 107c so he can fly with me. It came today so we'll be able to fly when he comes over next weekend. Right. I know. Tl; dr we want pictarz and infoz! Here's what I have so far.

The lens;
I bought these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F5T...=AC_SY200_QL40
they are beastly huge but you can take the glass out of them and heat shrink them back together with the macro lense retaining screw sandwiched in between a spacer. The awesome part is that the heat shrink I used shrunk down enough to fit snugly into the camera hole over the lens. I see a lot of people using tape and putty but I feel like it messes with the lines of the quad. The shoe goo is insanely strong so you don't need much. I also used it when I smacked into my house and the hot glue holding the antenna let go.

Speaking of the antenna. I got curious and split the body apart maybe 2-3 days into my adventure and found that my vtx antenna has a little slide on connector instead of being soldered directly to the board. Does anyone know what that's called?

I got a crash pack too as mentioned and I went at it with my cordless drill and some snips. I didnt weigh it before, but it now weighs 8.4 grams. I think o can get it down to 8 with a bit more filing. I think that's all I have for now. Thanks for bearing with me. As a reward I will now attempt to post pics. ��
spastic thumbz is offline Find More Posts by spastic thumbz
Last edited by spastic thumbz; Mar 25, 2015 at 04:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:37 AM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,860 Posts
The slide on connector is called IPX , good post!
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:00 PM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
I did a thing today and took some pics. My vtx has a connector for the camera ribbon that is so close to the right size for the 808 16 camera module so I tried to fit it. That didn't work so I swapped out the housing and lens. I found I get a wider fov with it. I weighed the lens I had on it and it was 1.4 grams. The 808 16 lens weighs well under a gram and it fit perfectly on the photo sensor board so. Win there. I wonder of hubsan will be supplying better cameras soon?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by danzis90
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
I will keep this page in favorite.
I always love the hubsan x4 h107D but the 0.3 camera is a problem thats why I end bought the h107c 2mpx but still want the h107D maybe the new model 2015 I will buy one depends the camera and if can lift a 808 cam
danzis90 is offline Find More Posts by danzis90
Old Mar 30, 2015, 03:24 AM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
I'm waiting on an 808. From what I've seen they can lift a ceaseless 808 with battery just fine with decent flight times. I picked up a couple 100 mah batteries for it on Amazon. We'll see how those work when it comes... sometime next month. Damn China snail mail. I'm also still waiting on my 500 mah batteries. I managed to get a few 6:20 flights out of my tenergy 380mah lipos. (Mild flying and recording in expert mode outside) So I think I'll pick up some of their 500 mah's as well. My vrx says the card is full so I'll have to dump it on my laptop and upload to YouTube. I think I'm gonna buy another one to hop up with faster motors and a cool paint job maybe even a 1gr cam and a better vtx setup. I'll try and get the videos put together soon. I got some fun footage of my dog chasing it around the yard.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:11 AM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,860 Posts
Have you tried the d lens from the 808 #16 camera?
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by danzis90
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spastic thumbz View Post
I'm waiting on an 808. From what I've seen they can lift a ceaseless 808 with battery just fine with decent flight times. I picked up a couple 100 mah batteries for it on Amazon. We'll see how those work when it comes... sometime next month. Damn China snail mail. I'm also still waiting on my 500 mah batteries. I managed to get a few 6:20 flights out of my tenergy 380mah lipos. (Mild flying and recording in expert mode outside) So I think I'll pick up some of their 500 mah's as well. My vrx says the card is full so I'll have to dump it on my laptop and upload to YouTube. I think I'm gonna buy another one to hop up with faster motors and a cool paint job maybe even a 1gr cam and a better vtx setup. I'll try and get the videos put together soon. I got some fun footage of my dog chasing it around the yard.
Nice I will try to build a mini quadcopter will hubsan electronic and dark motor, fpv, and the 808 cam d lens but still waiting for the 808 cam. And looking for some buildings like that because I really don't know a lot
danzis90 is offline Find More Posts by danzis90
Old Mar 31, 2015, 03:42 AM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danzis90 View Post
Nice I will try to build a mini quadcopter will hubsan electronic and dark motor, fpv, and the 808 cam d lens but still waiting for the 808 cam. And looking for some buildings like that because I really don't know a lot
I'm kinda learning on the fly myself. (Shameless pun) I've only ever had rc cars that you just chuck batteries in and run em and a few $#!tty rc Helis that never flew worth a damn. I modify, tinker with and rebuild just about everything I have so naturally I have to learn everything I can.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:30 PM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
Took my boy out flying today. It was a blast. He burned up one of his motors about 3 batteries in. He kept crashing in deep grass and running the motors. No biggie though I had it swapped out literally in the time it took to warm up my soldering iron. I found that the camera module was getting its power from the + side of the motor that burned out so I swapped that over to the battery+ so the camera isn't sapping power off that motor. The other motor on that side was kinda laggy too so I resoldered it.

Anyways, we took them to the fields at the school I got to really stretch my 107d out. I would guess i got it out about 115-120 yards before the signal got really bad. I even lost it in some tall grass for a minute but was able to find it with the receiver by walking around until the signal got better. I have a ton of video to edit too. It kinda sucks it only records 2 minutes at a time and the video quality is awful so I don't know how much i'll end up keeping. I can't wait to get my 808 so I can get some better footage.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 05:39 AM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
Have you tried the d lens from the 808 #16 camera?
I just installed it this last week. it works really well. here's a rather long, but fun video of my flight today.

Hubsan H107D fpv field flight/range testing (16 min 4 sec)
Last edited by spastic thumbz; Apr 05, 2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 05:18 AM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
Did some things today...

I have been buying cheap cameras off amazon for the last couple weeks and one of them finally showed up. Unfortunately not only is it the wrong camera but it's a complete turd. I mounted it anyway though. Lol. It was supposed to be a y3000 but its the 2000. Video quality is definitely not hd and I doubt its even 2mp because so far my stock fpv cam looks better. I unscrewed the lens to see if my old hubsan lens might thread in there and saw how tiny the photo sensor was. Explains why the picture is so dark i guess. I have a few more on the way so hopefully those turn out better. It'll be a few weeks though. I hacked a plug off the balance cable and soldered it to the camera pcb so I can swap out batteries instead of having to stop so I can charge the camera. Ill have to see what kind if times these give. I think the one that the cam came with is ~ 80 ish mah. I doubt even that...

A few links to some of the goodies.

The balance charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00483...LlL&ref=plSrch
the balance cable with 5 100 mah lipos and usb
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LHM...V272+V282+V292

I have an 808, another one of these, and hopefully an actual y3000 on the way.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by DebianDave
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2012
628 Posts
When I saw the 107D come out, I was intrigued, nearly picked one up instantly but had concerns over being able to change channels without the TX screen (I use goggles and Boscam frequencies), so held off. Then the ProtoX FPV came along and seemed to fix a few problems that the Hubsan had, again I was interested, but I was also well onto my journey into micro motor madness, so that got shelved too...

They are great little things (I actually have a 107D now), but if you're going to go to the trouble to mod this and that, I can't help but feel you'd be better off scratch building. The opportunity to use better cameras, VTX and battery options is night and day.

Why oh why big companies like Hubsan can't release something similar to the micro H FPV quads we've been building for the same money as a 107D, I don't know! No offence intended, please believe me, if it's RC, it's all good
DebianDave is online now Find More Posts by DebianDave
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2015
9 Posts
Ive been thinking that too. By now I have enough into this little guy that I could have bought a storm drone. Lol. It is a blast to fly and tinker with though.