Find More Posts by RetoF3X
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,717 Posts
Cool
Flitzebogen returns to the IHLGF

Hi Gents

The ones longer in HLG might remember the wonderful "Flitzebogen" DLG from Uwe Reker and Jochen Reuter. They brought that model to the IHLGF in 1999 and it might have been one of the most sophisticated javelin style HLG (moulded wings with continuous dihedral sweep and some of them had all rc in the wing). Or at least one of the prettiest.

Good news is the same gang got back together and designed with Benjamin Rodax (professional aero guy, designed among other models the Yasal and the Pike Precision) a new Flitzebogen, this time for discuss launch. The wing planform looks similar to Benjamin's Yasal design, but a bit higher aspect ratio. In contrast to Snipe and XXlite, the servos are in the wing, so the airfoil thickness must be a bit higher. Hopefully Benjamin can chime in and tell us a bit more.

It is built by Andrey (Validol), so the commercial copies will be surely well built.

From rumours I have heard, there will be some present at the IHLGF this year, 15 years after the last "Flitz" by the germans.

More pics and info in the parallel world:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...17-Flitzebogen

Best,
Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
Last edited by RetoF3X; Apr 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2014, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by Joe W
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
2,036 Posts
This has a lot of promise! Andrey builds beautifully and Mr Rodax may have an idea or two about how to decelerate accelerated flow.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Last edited by Joe W; Apr 25, 2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: I HATE auto-correct on the smartphone...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by olgol
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,981 Posts
From the couple samples that arrived to the USA very recently I can assure you that the quality is outstanding. Andrey raised the bar yet a little higher, even though Validols are great quality models, the Flitz is even nicer in terms of build quality...

Pics stolen from the German forum linked above by Reto...

olgol is online now Find More Posts by olgol
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by Rollo340
Joined Jul 2011
535 Posts
Love that paint scheme ...
Rollo340 is offline Find More Posts by Rollo340
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:08 PM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,717 Posts
You may notice that the production Flitzebogen differs from the prototype that the german team built.

From what Uwe told me, their prototype was an engineering marvel, the wing mounts on the fuselage without screws and the control surfaces were fabricated in separate moulds, so that they are closed structures and the wipers were already incorporated.

Very cool though seeing folks push the envelope what is possible in composite works.

However, the plane was simplified for production to more conventional tooling. As per rc-network, the production fuselage is in the ballpark of 31gr, freaking light.

Best,
Reto
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by olgol
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,981 Posts
---
olgol is online now Find More Posts by olgol
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by roydor
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
1,018 Posts
Too many cool toys coming out lately...
I need more money and more storage room...
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,949 Posts
I'm a little bummed that this isn't about an elliptical dihedral DLG. I remember that model from 1999.

I think unrelated to this one is Wolfgang Zach still involved in RC soaring? He was one of the top German pilots from back in the day.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Apr 25, 2014, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by nickbox
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
1,071 Posts
Saw from the facebook before and really nice glider.

hope will see more info about it.
nickbox is online now Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by uraero
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Flitzbogen in IHLGF 1999

group of the 4 german and 3 austrian Pilots in IHLGF´99:
first version of our Flitzebogen on the left:
uraero is offline Find More Posts by uraero
Old Apr 25, 2014, 05:17 PM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,717 Posts
Hi Uwe

Awesome! Can you please name the gents in the picture? On the far right I can see Ralph Mittelbach, the dominator of the european HLG scene for so many years. If I remember correctly, Ralph did very well at the 99 IHLGF. Is that Alexander Wunschheim in the back?

Also note, they had a wonderful big field back then at the IHLGF. Nowadays it is just a narrow strip were we all need to squeeze in.

Reto
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by M Seid
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,410 Posts
So awesome to see the creativity coming from every corner of the globe. Im with Rollo- the paint scheme is fantastic. Could it be that we have evolved to a place where there actually may be more planes available than pilots to fly them?
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:51 AM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Reto, you are right. In the center, next to Alex, that is his friend Xare Hafner, behind me it´s Michi Bene from Graz, in the frond is Mr. Berner, who gave up model flying to care for his family.. I don´t remember the name of the man with the white shirt.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 02:57 AM
Find More Posts by funkz
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
Could it be that we have evolved to a place where there actually may be more planes available than pilots to fly them?
There are indeed many new designs, but i think that the actual number of manufactured & available planes, certainly so --because of the delicate/intricate/time demanding process of making them-- doesn't correlate with the actual number of high-end competitive planes available IRL -in real life-. Waiting lists prove that on some models.

CX4 (TD version announced - a couple of months ago), Aerial (almost 6 months waiting time), Tweagle (4 months), VortexII (No idea), Stobel (reasonable 2 months), YASAL, SalPeter, Latigo, Spark, etc... the list can go on on since there might be many that are just vaporware.

I hope the Flitz can be produced at a good rate. Looks like a promising alternative to the Snipe hype that has a flooded the local DLG scene with _available_ planes in the hands of pilots. It's introduction was timely, ready during the winter, so pilots could get them on time for the current season contests. Not for next winter.

Time will tell the Flitzebogen story. (Or maybe the manufacturer will let us know here) I'm curious and might like to get one depending on a reasonable waiting time. ...:::..popcorn:::::....
funkz is offline Find More Posts by funkz
Last edited by funkz; Apr 26, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 01:40 PM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
first 4 Flitz arrived in Germany:

this is mine: