HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
You are correct in your observation that CA is too brittle for this application. I assembled mine from parts and used Canopy glue throughout. I'd give it a try on yours, but it won't work miracles. You need a good smooth surface and the ability to actually land on it.
Same here once I started using canopy glue no more pulled out landing gear or struts

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
Awesome bird, I too would like to see some details on that pull pull on the wing and how it is controled inside, especially how this controled.
Dave,

I'd really like more details on your pull-pull aileron setup
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:45 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
I finally got to painting the pilot figure that mtflyr (Pete) molded. More molded in detail than most humans can paint. Yes, he's a "ginger". I was mixing colors for another pilot I was painting trying to get the right brown leather color and the eyebrows are done with an intermediate color I stumbled on during the process. The scarf is Esaki tissue. It really dresses the plane up. Thanks Pete!

Ran a couple more batteries through it at the last indoor session. The big prop makes for rudder trim changes with throttle. I may try some throttle rudder mix, a smaller prop, or both to get that under control. Like every other Dr.1 I've flown, it has to be flown the whole time it is in the air and does not act nice if you get ham fisted with the stick.

Needs some guns. The photo etched guns from overseas look like the best candidate if I can assemble them neatly.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Raise this thread from the dead.

Been working on this all night... Very close to being done. Gave a test flight a couple hours ago, been just working on final details now.

FlyZone DR.1 Modded (1 min 15 sec)
WonkoTehSane is offline Find More Posts by WonkoTehSane
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:20 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
United States, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Wonko, Very nice. Glad to see another four channel DR 1. I love flying mine. Just make sure you fly it like a WW 1 plane, What I mean is start into the turn with rudder then add opposite aileron to complete the turn. If you just use the ailerons it doesn't really turn, just kind of fly's on its side. Of coarse I maybe preaching to the choir here, sorry? Have fun.

Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
So many super nice dr1's in here.
I see people have changed to pz champ or p51 motors. Any flight reports with those? How are the flight characteristics of the heavier setup, and can it handle more wind outdoors? Considering getting this and modding it with a pz motor, or just get a stock se5 Any input appreciated.
boro92 is offline Find More Posts by boro92
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:05 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boro92 View Post
So many super nice dr1's in here.
I see people have changed to pz champ or p51 motors. Any flight reports with those? How are the flight characteristics of the heavier setup, and can it handle more wind outdoors? Considering getting this and modding it with a pz motor, or just get a stock se5 Any input appreciated.
With so much wing, i don't think it would ever be able to handle much wind.

This plane can use as much nose weight as it can get, so the extra 2.5g doesn't hurt at all.

If you convert the plane to a Spektrum brick, it will lose at least a gram of nose weight, so the heavier motor is a +.

on the longer nose plane, you can keep the 7mm, but for the rotary motored airframes, there are few downsides to an 8.4mm motor/gearbox.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Sep 2012
235 Posts
1st flight...

I finally got the 1st flight in with my DR-1. Even with the foam removed up front, and the battery pushed all the way forward to the rotary engine, it was tail heavy. Flew pretty good actually, but had to use full down on the elevator trim. I'm going to stick a couple small pieces of lead in the cowling... and this will be a fun little flier!
(but out of the box... the Albatros is perfect!)
swcushing is offline Find More Posts by swcushing
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:15 AM
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Sep 2012
235 Posts
I mounted 2 pieces of lead, (1 gram each) to the front of the firewall and flew the DR-1 today in a 6-8 mph breeze. Could almost back it up, and it did jump around a little.. but flew great. I'm re-gluing all the gear and wing attachment points with canopy glue and will do some detail painting shortly. Neat little flier!
swcushing is offline Find More Posts by swcushing
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:16 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
653 Posts
Wow, GREAT THREAD!! Mine is on the way, should be here end of the week. Looking forward to adding scale detail and might build a little hangar scene for it.....
w0ace is online now Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Went to the Dallas Gun Show this weekend. A kid had a 1918 Spandau Machine gun for sale for $4,000 he acquired from a museum that closed. He let me pick it up (Very light) and showed me how to operate the safety lever and the charging handle. My wife would have killed me if I bought it, but it'd have been worth it.

They don't allow photographs at the show, or I'd have already posted 20 pictures of it.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2004
322 Posts
WonkoTehSane
Very nice DR-1, looks great! I have one also but not modified. Even so it is my favorite indoor flyer. I would like to do the aileron mod. How did you take the dihedral out of the wings, cut and re-glue, heat etc.? Also do you feel that you have enough aileron control with the scale aileron size. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Rich
richgraf is offline Find More Posts by richgraf
Old Dec 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,326 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering if there was another solvent besides Naptha to dissolve the glue along the seam. I saw on Google that Rosinol lighter fluid was taken over by Zippo and that the formula has changed. I haven't had any luck finding small quantities at the local ACE Hardware store.
Thanks for any help!
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if there was another solvent besides Naptha to dissolve the glue along the seam. I saw on Google that Rosinol lighter fluid was taken over by Zippo and that the formula has changed. I haven't had any luck finding small quantities at the local ACE Hardware store.
Thanks for any help!
Ray
Goo Gone is a available in a 3 Oz size and will dissolve the tape and leave the foam intact.

Goof Off is a similar product, but it will dissolve foam, so don't get that.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:25 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
This one spent a while on the bench. Assembled from parts. Spektrum AR6400L RX. Gasparin 4:1 7mm gearbox with the stock DR.1 motor and a Micro Invent 5530 prop. It may be too large and I have a 5" if it is. One thing that annoys me about most WWI models is the tiny looking props that most of the gassers fly. I didn't want that on the DR.1. Thunder Power 160 mAH battery. Balances w/o added weight. Set the CG per the few posts I've read where the poster was happy with the handling AND wasn't complaining about tearing the gear and wings off of it. Paint is acrylic craft paint thinned with water and Windex and airbrushed. Pull-Pull controls. The black cowl is "scale", but I like the white one better. 35.1 g with battery. Maiden planned for this Saturday at the PERF Fly-In in Toledo.

I've also got an awesome pilot for it that needs to be painted. I've been pushing myself to get the plane flight ready for the last week or so and not miss the final indoor session of the season here.
Very nice ,any chance you would sale this plane
kevin finn is online now Find More Posts by kevin finn