SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
Flying one day at a time....
United Kingdom, Pardshaw
Joined Oct 2012
1,469 Posts
I think the common factor is that these varnishes are water based AND (poly)urethane based. They are often referred to as WBPU varnishes, the letters standing for Water Based Poly Urethane.

Here is a good article about using WBPU......

http://www.srfc.org/Covering_with_WBPU.htm

Happy Landings!

David
pardshaw is offline Find More Posts by pardshaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:57 PM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
696 Posts
Trisel went in flight :D

Hi ensemble,

we did the maiden flight of the Trisels. They fly very well indeed.
Here is a first video with launch of mine and my son's and some twosome and threesome ballet. The third is our friend's Lauro who did build a Wisel also a couple of years ago.
At the end of the video there is a first short dynamic soaring test.
The next day, while DSing with some more wind, I clocked my son with a radar gun at 88Km/h (he clocked me at a poor 78Km/h and obviously he was so happy ).
But one of the last flights in heavy 10-12m/s wind I clocked mine with GPS logger (so horizontal speed) at 106Km/h.
Btw I verified that :
- this fuselage is very strong, as also is the wing
- the one screw wing fix is not that bad : wing will rotate at hard landings. Now I have to think if leave it this way or not.
- the vertical fin is really effective. It has an airfoil and aerodynamics teaches that an airfoil is more effective than a plank and will work at higher angle of attack, without loosing lift. With my previous Wisels I had way more yaw instability and I was surprised how stable on yaw axis is this one instead, with such a little fin.

We had an awesome week, with 7/7 flying days !
Some more videos will come in short.

Best regards,
Ric

Trisel maiden flight (2 min 24 sec)
chiloschista is offline Find More Posts by chiloschista
Last edited by chiloschista; Oct 16, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:21 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,297 Posts
Ric, did you use a "named" airfoil for your tail, or did you shape it by eye?
I really like the new tail and fuselage shape....sleek!
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:44 AM
United Kingdom, Pardshaw
Joined Oct 2012
1,469 Posts
Hi Ric

Great job! They fly very well.

I did notice in one of your early videos that one of your Wisels had a little "Dutch roll" or yaw instability. Only a small amount. Your Trisels have solved that problem. I found that extending the fin further back also helps solve it.

Dave
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:36 AM
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
Ric, did you use a "named" airfoil for your tail, or did you shape it by eye?
I really like the new tail and fuselage shape....sleek!
Hi JimZinVT,

thanks !
The airfoil is just carved by hands, but I guess even with a "named" one there is a strak to the fuselage.

Ric
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:42 PM
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardshaw View Post
Hi Ric

Great job! They fly very well.

I did notice in one of your early videos that one of your Wisels had a little "Dutch roll" or yaw instability. Only a small amount. Your Trisels have solved that problem. I found that extending the fin further back also helps solve it.

Dave
Thanks Dave !

A 3mm flat airfoil shows a great increase in drag at 1-2 degrees of angle of attack already. Therefore it could not be able to dampen yaw instability very well, stalling all the time. It really seems to me that a smaller, but profiled fin works better. I guess that general drag and then speed could benefit from that too.

Btw. I read your reports with interest and learned from them some interesting behaviours, especially those related to light Wisels. Thanks !

Best regards,
Ric
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:41 AM
United Kingdom, Pardshaw
Joined Oct 2012
1,469 Posts
Hello,

Some good slope winds forecast for here tomorrow. I'm hoping for a few hours Wisel time.

I had to replace a metal geared servo on Wisel 3. It would lock up at full deflection, spinning my Wisel back to earth. This meant I had also to repair my fibre glass nose too. Now the Wisel 3 AUW is fracationally higher at 26.2 ounces (10.6 OPSF) compared to the Wisel 3 shown in post 498. It will make no noticable difference.

Happy landings!

Dave
Old Nov 05, 2013, 08:59 AM
Austria, Stmk., Sankt Radegund bei Graz
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Baracuda EPP

Want to introduce the bigger brother of Wiesel XP, the Baracuda EPP by the same
producer: http://www.epp-flugmodelle.de/produc...tt-1500mm.html
Hangfliegen mit einem Brett Nurflügler (0 min 46 sec)

The features are: Span 150 cm, seperated ailerons and elevons, the nice price of course, the complete kit including glasfibre rods for wing and fuselage and the "laminating cover" which is easy to use and gives al lot of stability.
Just finished mine, and made a bungee hook, a ballast chamber in the nose and just a single slot for all cables, Li-Ion 1s 1100mAh and RX. Weight 610g (18,2g/dm²)
federl is offline Find More Posts by federl
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:07 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,297 Posts
I'm confused....is the Wisel being produced commercially? I didn't see it anywhere on that website.

This looks like a nice plank though!
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Wiesel XP and Baracuda EPP on ebay

you can get both, Wiesel XP and Baracuda, on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.at/epp-modell?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
http://stores.ebay.at/akroo11epp-flu...p2047675.l2563
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined Aug 2011
82 Posts
Finish and programming is done (4 flaps as: Elevon mixed at ailerons, ailerons at inner flaps, butterfly for landing)
Now waiting for gliding weather...
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:38 AM
United Kingdom, Pardshaw
Joined Oct 2012
1,469 Posts
Hi all

I've just got back from spending all day on the hill flying 3 Wisels (SpeedsterDen's standard design, 3 very different weights). Wow, fantastic.

Something I've learned:-

1) The lightweight Wisel responds to control inputs really, really quickly. It is ultra-responsive. Consequently you can fly it very, very close to you and it will turn and roll in just a few feet of airspace. It can do amazing things. You can make it dance just a few feet in front of you!

2) The lightweight Wisel is very tolerant of big, crude control inputs as long as you don't hold them in for more than a fraction of a second. This way you can use rapid and massive inputs like full up or rapidly alternating left/right to act as airbrakes and keep it flying "on the spot" just a couple of feet in front of you. It will not "fall out of the sky" if you give big inputs, as long as you re-centre the sticks straight away. It easily recovers its composure because it has little or no inertia (it also gets quickly taken away from you by the wind for the same reason unless you are very skilled!)

3) The heavyweight Wisel has so much inertia it needs a lot of space to make a turn or a roll. And if you slow it down then the control surfaces are less effective at altering the direction of the heavier aircraft. So you need to think ahead when flying the heavy ones! If you make big, violent control inputs the heavyweight may start to fall out of the sky in an ugly spin. It can be recovered, but only if you have height! It is much less forgiving of bad pilot inputs because it wants to go fast and smooth in a straight line or gentle curved trajectory. It does not like short, sharp changes of direction! But it is very, very impressive to fly fast in "big air". Very impressive!! As SpeedsterDen says, it is kick-ass!

4) The middleweight is between the two - not as nimble or agile as the lightweight, but faster to turn and more nimble than the heavyweight (but not as fast in a straight line/gentle turn). Any weight of Wisel flys just great!!

You can't beat having a few different weight Wisels on the slope......you can fly in any windspeed and fly any style you want! And.......if you put the transmitter in a plastic bin-liner (plastic bag) you can fly in the rain and keep your hand warm and dry too!!

Dave
Last edited by pardshaw; Nov 06, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:37 PM
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by federl View Post
Finish and programming is done (4 flaps as: Elevon mixed at ailerons, ailerons at inner flaps, butterfly for landing)
Now waiting for gliding weather...
Hi federl,

I like your paintings =
Looking forward for more flying infos.

Ric
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:45 PM
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardshaw View Post
Hi all

I've just got back from spending all day on the hill flying 3 Wisels (SpeedsterDen's standard design, 3 very different weights). Wow, fantastic.

You can't beat having a few different weight Wisels on the slope......you can fly in any windspeed and fly any style you want! And.......if you put the transmitter in a plastic bin-liner (plastic bag) you can fly in the rain and keep your hand warm and dry too!!

Dave
Hi Dave,

thanks for that report !

I built a couple of days ago a light version of my Trisel fuselage : only two layers of fiberglass and carbon rowings. No Kevlar.
It is about 80g, so 30% lighter, but the joining of the two halves suffered a little.
I'm still improving this point, which still does not satisfy me.

I would like to try one with only one layer of fiberglass (or two thin layers) and cross carbon rowings.
In short I should receive the CNC cutting machine. Then work will progress with airfoil experimenting and eventually redesigning from scratch.

Best regards,

Ric
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:04 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,686 Posts
Nice flight report.

Thanks.

The projekt for this Winter is not a X large Giga wiesel..

But a + 6 meter DG 800 S.

My flying freind and I are Building it together at the evening school, as we did with the Giga wiesel.

And a good thing that we learned from the Wisels is to cut the foam.

Tonight we made the Mold for the wings, it will be made in fiberglass in negative molds.

We now have the fuselage, 2x tailplane, 2x rudder, 2 x half meter wingtips with wing lets, 3x canopy + frame+ seat+ instruments, and wing joyner.

Building thread just started under Scala.
6 meter DG800S

Cheers
S
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN