Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by 3rdlaw
United States, NJ, Roselle Park
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Futaba Receiver question

I just picked up a Futaba 14SG radio for one of my DJI Hex multirotor.

Just wondering which SBus receiver is recommended for this setup. I have only flown line of site but would like to expand. I have a Zenmuse gimbal and iosd and retractable landing gear. Can someone recommend the receiver I should be using?

There are so many Futaba receivers out there and I just don't know which one I should pick up.

R6303SB, R6202SBW, R6014HS, etc... Some are 59.99 while others are 299.99...

Why would a non-sBus type or receiver such as R617FS cost more than an Sbus type of receiver?

Thanks for your help and recommendations!
3rdlaw is offline Find More Posts by 3rdlaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,296 Posts
Different receivers for different purposes:

1. The R6014HS is NOT an S.Bus receiver - it is a 12+2 channel receiver and as such is big and heavy (compared to the rest)

2. The least expensive S.Bus receiver compatible with the 14SG is R2008SB.

3. The smallest/lightest non-telemetry and least expensive - R6303SB.

4. The smallest/lightest telemetry and least expensive - R7003SB.

S.Bus servos are more expensive than the standard non-S.Bus servos like the S3004/3004, so in many cases those who have a relatively simple aircraft and a FASST transmitter tend to buy the R617FS making it a desired receiver and Hobbico can keep the price at what it is currently. Almost the same applies to the R6014HS - many are afraid of the S.Bus innovation so when more than 8 channels are needed they'll go for that receiver.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:41 AM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Different receivers for different purposes:

1. The R6014HS is NOT an S.Bus receiver - it is a 12+2 channel receiver and as such is big and heavy (compared to the rest)

2. The least expensive S.Bus receiver compatible with the 14SG is R2008SB.

3. The smallest/lightest non-telemetry and least expensive - R6303SB.

4. The smallest/lightest telemetry and least expensive - R7003SB.

S.Bus servos are more expensive than the standard non-S.Bus servos like the S3004/3004, so in many cases those who have a relatively simple aircraft and a FASST transmitter tend to buy the R617FS making it a desired receiver and Hobbico can keep the price at what it is currently. Almost the same applies to the R6014HS - many are afraid of the S.Bus innovation so when more than 8 channels are needed they'll go for that receiver.

Ivan
Thank You, Ivan. I don't need the least expensive one. I just need one to handle everything I'm doing. Camera, fpv, landing gear, gps, the whole 9 yards. I figured the sbus would be the best option. I see some of them are geared for short range. I want one for a little more range. Figured S-bus was the way to go.

Which one would you recommend for my multirotor with all of that?
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,296 Posts
What flight controller will you be using - S.Bus capable I assume? How are you going to connect the camera gimbal controls - S.Bus or regular PWM channels? Is receiver weight and size of a great consideration? Based on that you can make the selection.

For example, if you need 4-5 regular PWM channels and S.Bus for the flight controls and you want telemetry then the R7008SB could be the best option.

If telemetry is not needed the R6208SB will do the trick.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Feb 08, 2016, 02:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
I'm using the DJI with iOSD mini so I'm thinking with that, the R6208sb is the way to go, correct?