Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by borkencorter
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
390 Posts
@scouse huh back here , too
@ limma thought about that esc and gonna order one as soon as bg has them..... but? what motor ? 3 amps ap05 3000kv ? cuz my two less than ten gramm motors draw more than 3 at 2s

And problem with v959 gb is that it has a 6:1 ? ratio i got it to work decently with a gws 6/5. thrust is 70 gramms... but plane wouldnt fly with a 6/3 prop, so pitch speed still is to low. 6/6 should work . pitch speed is the main problem..... or build a real slow flyer
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Dream it...Build it...Fly it!
United States, MO, Macon County
Joined Dec 2014
1,243 Posts
Borkencorter.
I tried the lil' exc with a 8 gram 24oo kv motor. With a std 4x3 speed prop it drew .6 amps on 1s. Since then, I put on a 5" geared prop but have not had a chance to test it. The motor and gearbox that I want to replace weighs just over 6 grams so there will be a small weight gain. I am thinking that the blade speed might be similar to the brushed (and geared) motor

Do have a 5 gram motor that I could use as well. Not enough data on installation or thrust yet.
basicguy is online now Find More Posts by basicguy
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by limmacslim
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,248 Posts
Hey Scouse.

Borken. I haven't really played with many 1s motors, that does sound about right although people claim it runs a 4" prop on 2s at around 3a. I don't have a clue how much thrust you will get, it might be a tiny bit slow spinning & maybe even need more than a 5" prop on 1s. Its quite a popular motor so I guess there must be some numbers out there somewhere.
I have a little pancake style 5g motor to wind & was thinking of starting at 3000kv then winding it again if its not hot enough.
limmacslim is offline Find More Posts by limmacslim
Old Feb 11, 2016, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by 1auriec
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
The v959 uses geared 5 inch props as far as im aware
Just measured the props on my V959 (old style). The old style has a narrower prop shaft, but otherwise I think the props are the same size. It measured 145mm = 5.7 inches. It doesn't have any pitch marking on it, but just eyeballing it and comparing with a GWS 5443 it looks as though it has a little less pitch than the GWS prop.

Yes, they are geared props.
1auriec is offline Find More Posts by 1auriec
Old Feb 12, 2016, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by robairt
Joined May 2005
134 Posts
@1auriec, thank-you for the feedback with respect to the 959, would you be able to tell me how big the motors are, is in terms of external dimensions. I am wondering if a v911 motor could be used in that gearbox?
robairt is online now Find More Posts by robairt
Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:06 AM
Joined May 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robairt View Post
@1auriec, thank-you for the feedback with respect to the 959, would you be able to tell me how big the motors are, is in terms of external dimensions. I am wondering if a v911 motor could be used in that gearbox?
I think they are the familiar 8 or 8.2mm diameter motors used in many ultra micro planes, with a 20mm long case. They have a brass pinion and it appears to have 11 teeth. Not sure what the diameter of the shaft is, but it appears to protrude about 5 or 6mm past the end of the case. I have attached a photo.

Banggood has these very motors in stock - here's the link.http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-WL...8-p-61085.html
I have used them in ultra micro planes, and found them among the best. I've been able to remove the pinions with a gear puller and replace them with ones that suit whichever gearbox I want to use - but you need to make sure the shaft size is right to do this.

They come in CW and CCW versions, with different coloured cables. The one you need for planes is the one with blue and white cables.

I suspect the V911 motor is very similar.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by robairt
Joined May 2005
134 Posts
@1auriec thank you for the detailed response, I am going to try to order a motor gearbox and prop combination to experiment with.
robairt is online now Find More Posts by robairt
Old Feb 13, 2016, 02:12 AM
Joined May 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robairt View Post
@1auriec thank you for the detailed response, I am going to try to order a motor gearbox and prop combination to experiment with.
Just realised I have told you the wrong thing. The motor cables for the one suitable for a plane should be red and blue.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
2,355 Posts
I'm not sure the motor wire colors matter. If you reverse them the motor runs opposite direction. Normally if the motor is designed to run CW or CCW you want to wire it to that direction.

I think the 8mm can be sometimes be 8.5mm and the motor for the Horizon Hobby UM Sport Cub S (SCS) is 23mm long. Unfortunately, over the last year the lifespan has been very inconsistent. Micro Motor Warehouse have been used as replacements with reports of more consistent life (6-7+ hours).
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
I'm not sure the motor wire colors matter. If you reverse them the motor runs opposite direction. Normally if the motor is designed to run CW or CCW you want to wire it to that direction.

I think the 8mm can be sometimes be 8.5mm and the motor for the Horizon Hobby UM Sport Cub S (SCS) is 23mm long. Unfortunately, over the last year the lifespan has been very inconsistent. Micro Motor Warehouse have been used as replacements with reports of more consistent life (6-7+ hours).
The brushes are shaped according to whether they are made to run CW or CCW. If you run the motor the wrong way the brushes will wear quickly and the life will be much shorter. So please do pay attention to the cable colours.

I've found my motors have lasted very well, often much longer than 6-7 hours. The cheap motors in the WLToys V959 and F939/929 and my cheap Chinese quadcopters have usually lasted better than the expensive ones in my Parkzone UMs, so when the Parkzone ones fail I typically replace them with the cheap ones. You have to know your motors' shaft sizes etc. and have a gear puller to be able to do this. I have the Walkera gear puller available from Banggood and I highly recommend it. http://www.banggood.com/Walkera-Moto...-p-909407.html

It definitely helps to lubricate the gearbox shaft with Teflon lubricant, and I also put a tiny amount of it on the motor shaft where it enters the case. In particular a lot of people have found the Hisky HFW400 Buzz gearboxes seize and burn out the motor unless you lubricate them when you first get them.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Dream it...Build it...Fly it!
United States, MO, Macon County
Joined Dec 2014
1,243 Posts
When you say clockwise, are you measuring from the view of the pilot.
basicguy is online now Find More Posts by basicguy
Old Feb 13, 2016, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec View Post
The brushes are shaped according to whether they are made to run CW or CCW. If you run the motor the wrong way the brushes will wear quickly and the life will be much shorter. So please do pay attention to the cable colours.
Good explanation of why they should be wired so motor turns same direction as designed. That's why colors don't matter between different motors of the same direction. Example, HH alone sells 3 or more different CW motors that have different wire colors.
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Feb 13, 2016, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
Good explanation of why they should be wired so motor turns same direction as designed. That's why colors don't matter between different motors of the same direction. Example, HH alone sells 3 or more different CW motors that have different wire colors.
It must depend on the vendor. On Banggood, they use the cable colours to distinguish between CW and CCW versions of the same motor. Generally the CW motor has blue and red and the CCW blue and white, but as they get their motors from different sources it can vary.

Then there's further confusion over what CW and CCW means, with the multicopter crowd seeming to adopt the opposite convention from the traditional aviation and maritime communities.

For the record, on fixed wing craft it's clockwise if it turns clockwise when viewed from the cockpit of a single engined tractor aircraft, i.e. one with the propeller at the front. Boating people call those "right" screws, and the CCW ones "left".
Old Feb 14, 2016, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by borkencorter
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
390 Posts
I second that v959 motors are among the best 8,5*20mm motors..... only topped by the parkzone 8,5*23 (umx radian/ sport cub)
i build gb s with the 959 pinion and a smaller spur gear they have a 3,3:1 ratio gives 44gramms with a 4/4 prop and more important its faster
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Feb 14, 2016, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by limmacslim
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,248 Posts
I think I did get a bad F929 motor & need to get some spares but wasn't sure what to go for...... Me & a friend built identical profile edge 540's with new F929 gear, his one had way more power lol . Might have to give the V959 motor a try .
limmacslim is offline Find More Posts by limmacslim