New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Be safe son - Fly low and slow
Canada, ON, Mallorytown
Joined Feb 2015
504 Posts
My AUW is 1305g.
That includes a battery(3/2200) weight of 188g so in comparison I'm at 1116g without the battery. Almost identical to yours.

I don't notice any difference in battery performance due to ambient temperature with this size battery and I've flown in -31C. Mind you, the battery is warm to start with and enclosed in foam during flight.
Daedalus might be right, cool batteries don't perform well. I've had 25% flight time with small batteries in Winter air.

I'm using the 8x4.5 counter rotating props that came with it FYI.
Mad_Mike is online now Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2016, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,223 Posts
HobbyKing CL-415 Canadair 1390mm wingspan Foam Kit

You wouldn't have any problem starting with a warm battery (15C and up) as it will stay warm from internal heating while flying.

There's a fair bit of data and anecdotal evidence around showing what happens to LiPo batteries as they get close to the freezing mark. Individual batteries vary quite a bit, but broadly speaking the internal resistance roughly doubles at freezing temperatures. The capacity drops a bit but the main impact is on the ability to deliver current. The effect can be quite drastic, as in the case of one pack that hit LVC after just a few seconds flying, and showed a voltage drop of 4v under load.

I can't match your -31C flying. My coldest is about -23C (10 below F). No problems with batteries, just fingers, despite a transmitter mitt.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 12, 2016, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by pmdevlin
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
667 Posts
I thought about the lipos, hence mentioning the temp, also, they have not been charged since end of December, they did all have (4 packs used) pretty much slightly over 4.1v per cell, and after 6 mins the worst was 3.7v per cell, best 3.8v per cell, however it was the full throttle that was the concern, that video is pretty much flat out, with no wind, its speed not flight time that is the concern, if faced with a headwind I fear a distinct lack of power. The change of props didn't do anything, so I am thinking about the motors again. D2830/11 210W 21A Turnigy is what I have, so I think although it will be a bench test, I'll do a test of amps and watts. Mikes weight shows I'm not that heavy, and a 2600 gens ace 3 cell isn't that much heavier than the commonly used 2200, plus its what I use in the Catalina so a direct comparison. Some on here are hauling camera equipment around so the airframe is capable of carrying weight.
pmdevlin is online now Find More Posts by pmdevlin
Last edited by pmdevlin; Feb 12, 2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 08:51 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,223 Posts
So what was the temperature of the batteries? Had they been kept warm (as they should) or allowed to cool to something like ambient (5C)? If the latter, I would certainly expect them to be down on power.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Be safe son - Fly low and slow
Canada, ON, Mallorytown
Joined Feb 2015
504 Posts
My measured power is 290W total.
Mad_Mike is online now Find More Posts by Mad_Mike
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by lthibault
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
373 Posts
Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
IMO the struts are necessary on this model unless you go to heroic lengths with internal bracing between the upper and lower plywood decks. The wire ones are crap; I made some with dowel, oak stringers, and some other bracketry to tie things together.
First 2 pics show those.

I'm going to look for that Gorilla tape.
I flew the CL-415 today on 3" of snow with an ice pellet crust which tore up the hull pretty badly for 2 takeoffs / landings.
Third pic shows the damage.
I'll re-glass it and tape over, same with the tip floats. otherwise it'll be powder only.

Here's a video of the diff thrust in action on soft powder - works really well!

https://youtu.be/uKCLgUJT14k
Hi - never used struts on mine and made several successful flights. I used epoxy to permanently glue the wings together in a slightly warped position.
lthibault is offline Find More Posts by lthibault
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by lthibault
Luc
Joined Dec 2004
373 Posts
WOW 5 years and over 1900 posts on this ARF can you believe it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMvG...EJGl6h&index=6
lthibault is offline Find More Posts by lthibault
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by keffe1
Deranged long range
Sweden, Uppsala County, Uppsala
Joined Aug 2013
893 Posts
Tomorrow will see me re-maiden my canadair.. This time with a Cyclops tornado on board. Will be interesting to see how that goes.
keffe1 is online now Find More Posts by keffe1
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
667 Posts
Quote:
So what was the temperature of the batteries?
don't know really, all I can say is the outside temp was 6 degrees, and they where in a metal box, ok, in the car until being used, but probasbly not much warmer.

Here are some stats, if someone can make something of these!

Motors are 210w 21a 1000kv.

Fresh and warm 2600mah 3 cell,

8x3.8 2 blade props
motor 1= 8774rpm motor 2 =8986rpm (taken with hand held rpm sensor)

esc's are connected with "y" lead with one bec disconnected, so these readings are as it appears at the battery. I have no idea if this is an average, or just the motor with bec, or the actual maximum

18.9a 209w

8x6 3 blade props, fresh warm battery

motor 1=8360rpm motor 2= 8342 rpm

21.3a 226w

Looks like to me the motors are pretty much all the way there. I also did a fresh throttle range test just to be sure.
Old Today, 12:43 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,223 Posts
You said earlier you were using 8x6 three blade props and had plenty of power. Now you have 8x3.8 two blade. That's a big reduction of load on the motors, especially considering that they are only 1000kv and turning at only 8800 rpm. Add in cold batteries and you reduce performance still further.

Also, the pitch speed with that setup is only 32 mph. That's the theoretical maximum speed. The first thing I would do is go to 8x6 props. Second would be keep the batteries reasonably warm (insulated container, pocket, etc.). I think you might find that these two things would solve your problem.
Old Today, 11:43 AM
Wirral, UK
Joined Jan 2007
667 Posts
ha ha 8x6, we are somewhere else on rcg talking about same thing!

Well the 3 bladers didn't really have more power, look at static stats from last night, they spin slower, and draw more amps, but do they drive forward better due to pitch? that's the bit I cant get in my head

3 blade props seem to be pushing the motors to the top end of their limit, albeit on a bench test, will two blades be more or less on amps and watts, propos are certainly the easiest and cheapest way to go without a doubt