SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
Idea
Trying something a little different

I purchased a Sissix Eclips which is a craft cutter. It uses blades and what looks like a plotter with a holder for the blade. It will cut up to 1/32" with the standard 45 degree blade and 1/16" with a Roland 60 degree blade. Doesn't seem to want to cut foam but will cut balsa. I am using it to make templates out of card stock then using spray adhesive to stick it to foam and using this to guide the hot wire cutter. I am using Sure Cuts A Lot program to make the cuts..it uses svg files. I use Sketchup to trace over a three view and then you can convert a face in Sketchup to a svg. So far I am still experimenting with the thickness of the card stock and the best heat setting to use....if it is too hot the cut can be too wide and doesn't match the template perfectly. I am including pics of what I have tried so far.
pedwards2932 is online now Find More Posts by pedwards2932
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
Failed to mention this....

The other reason I got the Eclips is for doing decals. You can print decals with registration marks and it will cut exactly around the outline of the decals. I also thought it may work for cutting out tissue that has the aircrafts panel lines etc and then you could cut the tissue to fit the model. It will definitely cut vinyl as well. You can get these off e-bay in the 150 to 200 range and the software I am using comes with it but for 50 you get the full version. What I like about the software is you just drop in the svg and it will cut it....no g code or anything just cuts the out line.
pedwards2932 is online now Find More Posts by pedwards2932