HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:18 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Discussion
GP Stik 40 vs Midwest Stik 40

I am looking for a comparison on flight characteristics between the Great Planes 40-sized Ugly Stik, and the Midwest 40-sized Ugly Stik. Would appreciate the input.

While I know both are essentially the same airframes, there are a few differences:
The Midwest Stik has a shorter tail moment, the airfoil is fully symmetrical (versus the GP Stik being semi-symmetrical), and the wing is a lower aspect-ratio.

Thoughts from the crowd?

Thanks!
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:19 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,715 Posts
I'v built and flown many of the Midwest Sweet Stik, and the twin version the Twin Stik (just recently finished one up), and flow a couple of the Big Sticks and found they are very similar in all aspects but will give the edge to the Sweet Stik. One difference that creates an optical illusion is the Sweet Stik has a flat wing and gives the impression of anhedral while the Big Stick has visible dihedral.

Personally I'll still take the Sweet Stik. Besides the fact I like to build, I also like to have the final quality control over my planes, not some non-modeler getting paid $.50/hr in China building to a quota who could care less on how the finished product performs.

The two designs are so similar that I'd say it comes down to do you want to build or assemble an ARF? With the Sweet Stik you also have the plans to do repairs.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Aug 27, 2014, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Oh, I will definitely be building this beastie!

The reason for my enquiry is that I am about to scratch-build a rather largish Stik (=/- 100 inch total span), and was comparing the plans for the GP Stik 40 with the plans for the Midwest Stik 40. I found that not all Stiks are created equal...

So, before commiting pencil to paper, and knife to wood, I thought I would seek out merits and pitfalls for each design.

Thus far, I am leaning towards the Midwest Stik, as the wing is a low-aspect ratio, giving more area for a given span, and the fuselage would be a goodly bit shorter. All these are considerations, whence time comes to store this monster! However, I do not want to sacrifice flyability for storability.

Hence, my silly questions...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:13 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Challenger_ i, I have built & flown the Midwest Stik kit, ( still have one NIB) & more recently re-covered the GP Stik from Tower Hobbies. (i did a thread on it, here on RCG)( in paint & finishing tips, entitled: re covering a 40 stik). I can honestly say the GP Stik flies wonderfully. I have an OS 55AX on it and its a missle at full throttle, but you can honestly walk beside it on landings. The Midwest Stik was powered by an OS 40 and was my second plane built after a trainer. I flew my GP Stik along side other Stiks at this years VRCS meet in Julian NC & can honestly say it lacked nothing in comparison with the others. Being an ARF,it even got an honerable mention from the event CD! If you have the time to build the Midwest kit, go ahead, but for getting in the air right away with a Stik, you wont go wrong with the GP model......Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Last edited by gene6029; Aug 30, 2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Gene:

Thanks for the details. What I am doing is using one of the designs for scaling up to 100 inches. So, I'll be building from the ground up.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 09:35 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,715 Posts
When you build your Stik, here's a slight modification to make.....

This was built from an original kit.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Sep 02, 2014, 12:35 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Hmmmm.... I do happen to have a pair of 35cc engines.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:18 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
I can vouch that both stiks are good planes.

My midwest stik was my trainer. I still have that plane, its a .40 size but I'm looking to mont up my new-old K&B 60 to it.

I have flown my buddies .60 GP stik powered by a 120fs, that plane could do mild 3d. It looked great as a tail dragger with spoked wheels.

Whichever you chose, have fun with it!
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Thank ye, Sir! I figured, either way I jumped, I'd have a good bird. Just wanted to know the different characteristics of the two planes, before I commited to making the build drawings
Old Sep 15, 2014, 01:39 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,410 Posts
Wish Hanger 9 would bring back the Ultra Stick 40.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:10 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
Wish Hanger 9 would bring back the Ultra Stick 40.
I have one of these. Very nice flying plane. I put a Evolution .46 on it. I think it would also be a great plane to try one of those 9-10cc gas engines in....
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:54 PM
United States, CT, Suffield
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
I have one of these. Very nice flying plane. I put a Evolution .46 on it. I think it would also be a great plane to try one of those 9-10cc gas engines in....
I was just offered a Ultra Stick 120 with a Super Tigre 2000 (1.2). Plane is new and never flown, needs servos and RX. Motor is used but in good shape.
Should I buy it? Just getting out of the beginner stage. I could always wait until next spring to fly it.
Redbone311 is offline Find More Posts by Redbone311
Old Sep 19, 2014, 06:14 AM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,232 Posts
Get it. Stiks are very easy to fly, I used one as a trainer.
Waffleman is online now Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Sep 24, 2014, 05:43 AM
Joined Mar 2013
123 Posts
20 or so years ago I had a Midwest Super Sweet Stik .60 that I powered with a side mounted rear exhaust YS .60 pattern engine with Hattori muffled tuned pipe. Man what a flier it was! Those old Midwest Stiks were built rugged, too. I miss that old plane so much that over the past year I have purchased a Super Sweet Stik kit, YS .61 long stroke and Hattori muffled pipe tuned pipe from Ebay.
crasher47 is offline Find More Posts by crasher47
Old Sep 25, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
I have looked over the plans for the GP Big Stik 60, and the Midwest Sweet Stik 40-sized bird, and have run the numbers. I have decided to go with the Sweet Stik as the basis of my Big Gas Stik. While both have their positive points (and darned few, if any, negative points!!!), I really feel the Sweet Stik planform better suits my needs.

Now, to make a major stock purchase in a lumber yard!