SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 03, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2001
29 Posts
It was a Joke !!! ( LOL = "Laugh Out Loud" ) But Tony and I were referring to 4 AA alkalines, ala Spektrum Dx5, which are more than 5V. I believe Jim said the actual lower limit on the system was 3.3V (report 2031 in the first thread).
hebertjj is offline Find More Posts by hebertjj
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
Is there a cutoff point where the transmitter shuts off at a specific voltage? If so , at what voltage, and does the battery drain stop at that time? I have Royal Evo 9 transmitters that stop transmitting at 6 volts and two A123 cells will only power it for a short time. Two cells LiPo work great. Even though the transmitter stops working the battery drain doesn't. I've accidentaly left it turned on and it drains to 0 volts.

Thanks,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne
Old May 03, 2012, 07:08 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony37803 View Post
Jim, could you revisit a few things for me? The transmitter to transmitter communication, other than wireless buddy boxing, what other applications are there? And programming from a PC, that's possible, wireless too? Is there a PC interface device required? What all can be done from a computer? Is this the same device used to configure receivers?
Yes, use our XDP for wireless programming of the transmitter - just like our receivers and transmitter modules.

The transmitter can be a virtual XDP itself, and can store the latest transmitter module and receiver firmware internally. So, you could update your buddy's receiver at the flying field using just your transmitter. Likewise, you could set his channel mapping and failsafes too.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 07:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebertjj View Post
Well, I've been lurking on this thread since it started and gone thru all the previous XPS Tx thread and I'm finally ready to post.

1st, as a member of the human race I'd like to apologise to JIm for all the knuckleheads who keep pestering him with various versions of "is it here yet?" I think the next person that pulls that ought to be required to wash your car or mow your lawn before receiving anything from XPS again.

2nd, I LOL at Tony's suggestion of just requiring 4 AA. That would shut up the all the people worrying about what kind of battery to get. Good grief !!! Even 4 AA's would get you 20 hrs of operation; with auto shut down that ought to get me thru the summer. ( I'm still probably going with a cheap LiFe or LiPo pack.)

3rd, What does "16X over sampling" mean? Is the ADC sampling at 16x200hz or 3200hz (5 ms frame is 200hz, right?) ?

4th, What's the latest version to the TX box look like? Is it still the same as shown in the old thread?

5th, What's the 900mhz version about? If you're not supporting FPV, doesn't 2.4 ghz have more than enough range.

Thanks Jim
1 - No worries.

2 - 4 AA batteries would work as the dropout from the regulator is only .15v at full current. The stock display from ArtTech is a 5v display. We have a 3.3v option, but it does not fit correctly. So, for now, we will use the 5v version. This was the reason for requiring 6v, otherwise a single cell Lipo would be fine with the 3.3v display.

3 - 16x over sampling means that there are 16 samples (12 bits each) taken of each input channel. The samples are taken consecutively, so that each channel is scanned and the result stored in a buffer. After 256 scans (16 x 16 = 256) the data in the buffer is averaged. This eliminates 'bobble' from an input pot due to EMI/EFI or voltage changes in the system.

4 - Same box design.

5 - Our 900MHz DivBee module has a theoretical range of 43 miles. The theoretical range of our 2.4GHz DivBee module is about 7 miles, so quite a bit less than our 900MHz version. Real world and theoretical are two different things, with the installation and environment determining the actual range. 900MHz propagates better through metal and carbon fiber, and does not have an issue with water like 2.4GHz does.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Horne View Post
Is there a cutoff point where the transmitter shuts off at a specific voltage? If so , at what voltage, and does the battery drain stop at that time? I have Royal Evo 9 transmitters that stop transmitting at 6 volts and two A123 cells will only power it for a short time. Two cells LiPo work great. Even though the transmitter stops working the battery drain doesn't. I've accidentaly left it turned on and it drains to 0 volts.

Thanks,
Art
You can define the input battery type as LiPo, LiFe, Nicd, or Nimh. You also state the number of cells. You can also manually enter the parameters for minimum and maximum voltage. Both voltages barriers will sound an alarm if exceeded.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Jim,how will buddy boxing work between the new radio and say an aurora 9 with your module in it? At all? or will one have to replace the board with your new board?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, use our XDP for wireless programming of the transmitter - just like our receivers and transmitter modules.

The transmitter can be a virtual XDP itself, and can store the latest transmitter module and receiver firmware internally. So, you could update your buddy's receiver at the flying field using just your transmitter. Likewise, you could set his channel mapping and failsafes too.
Ok, that is just too cool. Now I have to have one... err wait I already made that decision like 20 cool features ago
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old May 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Jim,how will buddy boxing work between the new radio and say an aurora 9 with your module in it? At all? or will one have to replace the board with your new board?
Just like any other transmitter does right now - via a cord between the transmitters.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Just like any other transmitter does right now - via a cord between the transmitters.
yea,i kinda figured that.The A9 has a weird cable plug and i was just wondering what kind of plug your radio was gonna do.I reckon there will just have to be your plug on one end and whatever radio's plug on the other
Thanks.
Matt
Old May 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
yea,i kinda figured that.The A9 has a weird cable plug and i was just wondering what kind of plug your radio was gonna do.I reckon there will just have to be your plug on one end and whatever radio's plug on the other
Thanks.
Matt
Many are just wires with stereo plugs. A9 is the same, but two of the wires cross over. I've made my own trainer cable for them, it's nothing taxing.

...or, sell the A9, and go wireless buddy-boxing! win-win-win!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 04, 2012, 07:12 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Wireless buddy boxing do sound like the bees knees for sure!!
Still dont wanna give up my touch screen tho just yet on the A9.
Last edited by Manta1; May 04, 2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Iphone typing not a Manta strong suit
Old May 04, 2012, 09:47 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
*skritch* Uhh... Say again, Manta. Transmission breaking up. Over. *skritch*
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old May 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
Quote:
=Uddy boxing do sou d lime the bees knees for sure
I think that is intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.
jgunpilot is offline Find More Posts by jgunpilot
Old May 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
It seems like it'd be quite difficult to apply lime to bees' knees... Little buggers wouldn't sit still for that, I'm sure.

RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old May 04, 2012, 11:28 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Sorry. IPhone keyboard and I dont get along sometimes. I fixed it.
Last edited by Manta1; May 04, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Closed Thread