SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
I am finishing off this glider and thinking of making it a "fpv lite" plane, just a camera, video, UHF.

Did you (or anyone) get it going for FPV?

It is a pretty nice airframe for a HK plane I think. Very slippery, rigid, has good control surfaces (ditch or hack the stock white plastic mini-clevis they are a disaster!).

It would be a pretty good distance FPV platform if you could find any thermals.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:28 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
I am going to FPV mine, still trying to decide on an equipment layout, the vtx could be slid down behind the servo tray so the antenna is near the back, and put the rc antenna down a wing, should provide good separation without much drag or cutting into the air frame. This plane is more fun than anything I have flown, will make a great fpv platform, especially for exploring clouds.
volto is offline Find More Posts by volto
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
How are you going with the stock motor?

Mine has some nasty resonance at low RPM, but smooths out higher up. Like something wrong with the cogging on it. I'm just going to use 2S as well, seems adequate thrust for gliding, and no risk of over-heating (although if I put FPV on it, I'll re-think the motor/battery combo).

Similar to this plane, have you seen this new HK one?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...glass_ARF.html
wow, no foam, big fuse, landing gear, flaps done. Looks really really nice..
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:22 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
I use 3s on mine, motor has no issues. Higher voltage is more efficient, use less throttle.

Wow that fiberglass glider does look nice, wish it was in the US warehouse and about $40 cheaper.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:02 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
I just ordered one of these gliders from the US warehouse. It took forever for them to get them in stock. Anyway, I am planning on putting two ducted fans on mine, one on each wing. The fan units are from the E-Flite Super Airliner. Attached is the parts needed for making it a ducted fan.

The reason for going to a ducted fan is that I can't stand spinning props in a video.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:13 PM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
You are going to lose a lot of efficiency doing that. With a folding prop, the prop usually isn't going to be in the video, you don't need to use throttle all the time unless you have it loaded really heavy, but then what's the point of a glider?

Unfortunately I still haven't FPV'ed mine, been working on a lot of other projects, but it will be soon.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:03 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volto View Post
You are going to lose a lot of efficiency doing that. With a folding prop, the prop usually isn't going to be in the video, you don't need to use throttle all the time unless you have it loaded really heavy, but then what's the point of a glider?

Unfortunately I still haven't FPV'ed mine, been working on a lot of other projects, but it will be soon.
I'm not concerned too much with efficiency. I'm going to use it as a platform for FPV and a GoPro to shoot some nice scenic shots. I don't want a prop in my videos, at all, period. I hate props in videos. I also don't want to use a riser for a pusher motor. I saw a guy that did this very mod to a Radian. It's awesome.

Doug
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:08 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Cool, good luck! Personally I like seeing the prop, something about it makes me feel more immersed.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:40 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
The plane is great. A Really Really good buy. It flies wonderfully and looks the business. I'm less afraid of acrobatics in it than the skywalker! The motor does have a resonance at low speed but you can probably cure that with a different motor or change the mount (Add a mat or something).

Unfortunately for FPV it is a bit too cramped. Just the setup for normal flight looks like a rats nest for mine. You'd want to be very good at neat neat wiring and tiny components to do FPV.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:04 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
I got mine on Thursday. Got it flight ready last night. I'm going to fly it around in stock form a little before doing any FPV upgrades to see if I like it's flight characteristics. It was raining most of the night and into this morning, but is clearing now. I might maiden it later today weather providing. I'll probably mount a keychain cam to it for the maiden.

There is a lot more room in this plane that other foam gliders thanks to the blow molded fuselage. A friend of mine has an Easy Glider Pro, and this has way more room in the fuse for electronics.

Doug
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
Navigator
USA, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2010
670 Posts
Especially if you remove the plywood platform, tons of room. I left mine in though. I also cut a small hatch on the tail boom and inserted the vTX. Hopefully it doesn't get too hot in there.