Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:19 PM
Trees are our enemy
United States, CA, South Gate
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Build Log
My first Gasser/Giant Scale Project

Hey Guys,

I've been flying rc for years now. Mostly I've flown a variety of foamies, primarily edf's and a few nitro birds here and there. Its been a fulfilling hobby for the most part but I've always wanted somthing bigger and better. Recently I found a good deal on craigslist and decided it was time to go for it. My hobby funds are limited, but I've been pretty successful in finding good deals thus far for my current project.

The new baby....

A 27% katana by Cassini Aeromodels. Its an 80" WS 40-60cc Katana, typical balsa and ply construction covered in a knock-off of Monokote

The build quality is nice, something you would see in a more expensive, better known brand name ARF. The covering sucks and the included hardware went strait into the trash can but the price was right($150 NIB)

I'm powering her with a DLA-56. Some people say thats a bad choice, some say its a good one. So far I'm happy, but I'm going by looks and factory specs so far. We'll see how it pans out, but it was go with the DLA, a DLE, or dont do it at all. $600 for a DA just isnt gonna happen these days.

At the controls I have a Hitec Eclipse 7 with the 2.4ghtz spectra module and an Optima 7 reciever.

Servo wise I'm running a Hitec HS-755HB on each aleron and one on the rudder. On the the elevator im running dual Hitec HS-485HB's. Still have to pick out a throttle servo and decide whether I'm putting a servo on the choke or if I'm gonna hide a linkage and choke her by hand.

Prop wise, I'm running a TCF 23x8 Carbon Fiber prop with a Magnum 4" Aluminum spinner for now, but that might change once I see the tach numbers and measure the pull after break in.

So far I have a HiEnergy 6.0v 2200mah NiMH pack to power the reciever and servos but I'm thinking I need to pick up one more and run dual packs. For the ignition battery I'm hoping one of the stock 4.8v 600mah Rx pack I have will suffice.

The servo arms and pushrods are my own "custom" design. Simple yet sufficent. I CNC machined the servo arms out of a piece of 1/8" Carbon Fiber Plate, and they bolt on top of the stock round arms with 4-40 socket head cap screws. The pushrods are 3/32" ID 3/16" OD aluminum tube with 4-40 studs threaded into the ends.

All the control horns are Du-Bro heavy duty horn systems, as is the pull pull set-up.

I may not have a Krill Katana with a DA-50, $200 a pop brushless servos and a 14mz radio, with a power box running enough Lipos to power all of Southern California, but i think I'm off to an ok start.

I'm also not too far into the build but I do have the landing gear installed(main and tail), the tail surfaces installed, linked up and working including the pull-pull system. I also have engine mounted but not hooked up. So I'm not quite there, but there is definite movement in the project.

Others would argue that this is a build thread so I should've started "threading" a long time ago. For those, I'll scrounge up what pictures I can find and trace back my steps
FBodyexpert is offline Find More Posts by FBodyexpert
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:41 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
First glance...Unwrapping the airframe!!!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:45 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Main Gear Installed
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:59 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Rudder Hinged. Pull-Pull and Servo Installed
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:03 AM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Horizontal Stablizer, Tail Wheel/bracket and elevator servos installed
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:39 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Got my smoke pump today. Thanks Expo!!! Things are falling together nicely. I'm still looking for a pilot bust, fuel dot, smoke dot, smoke muffler, switches, throttle servo, instrument decals, tach (on board or hand held), and rx packs. I think I'm gonna use the rx pack I have for the smoke pump and go for some higher mah dual packs for the servos. So if any of you guy have any of that stuff laying around....I have $.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:50 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Engine Mounted! What a PAIN IN THE A$$!!!! Stupid chinese manual does not match up to the plane very well, and is so vague its rediculous... I had to take a 1-2-3 block (for those who arent machinists or q.c. inspectors its a precision 1inch by 2inch by 3 inch block with threaded holes in all 6 sides), screw a long piece of threaded rod into one side, and then bolt the assembly onto the firewall with a single bolt from the back side of the firewall. Then install the cowl, measure how much it was off from the the down-right thrust angle, and go from there to get my center-lines....Atleast it worked!!
Old Nov 01, 2010, 11:05 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Engine cowl cut and fitted. Wings test fitted. I used to use a pack of cigarettes in pictures of my planes to show size. Now I use my dad!!! I love giant scale. Next build will be even bigger. I'm thinking 1/3 or maybe 40%. Unfortunately, my wife is probably thinking .45ACP
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:40 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
QUESTION!!!
I'm at the point where I need to start wiring everything up, but I've never run dual packs before. My old PCM reciever had to battery ports but I'm running 2.4ghtz so icant use that reciever. Do I just run the two packs into a y-harness or what? Any insight would help!
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBodyexpert View Post
QUESTION!!!
I'm at the point where I need to start wiring everything up, but I've never run dual packs before. My old PCM reciever had to battery ports but I'm running 2.4ghtz so icant use that reciever. Do I just run the two packs into a y-harness or what? Any insight would help!
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Multiple Batteries may be installed Dual batteries for redundancy or even one for each servo.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #1 caution re NiMH.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #2 caution re NiMH.
and more at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:00 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
ANGER!!!!
I cut out the covering over the servo wells in the wings last night to find that I ordered the wrong wing servos!!! When i was choosing servos I just pushed in on the cut out and measured the dent. From that I figured the servo cut out was 1/4 scale servo size in length but the width of a standard servo. I figured I would just widen the cut out and use 1/4 scale servos. We'll when I cut out the covering last night i found out that the cut outs are for a standard size servos the are recessed into the wings.

So, nonetheless I have two HS-755HB servos and carbon fiber servo arms I made for them up for sale. I will post a link for the classified add below after I make it.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:48 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Link to Classified Ad for Servos and Arms:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post16466908
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:21 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
I got my new pitts style muffler in this morning. I had to order it from China, which I hate doing but it was the only place i could find what i wanted. Its decent quality(for China), nice polish, seams like it should fit nicely once I shave a bit off the bottom of my firewall.
Next step is to finalize the design for the smoke system, make the oil injector tube, and install it into the muffler
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:32 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Here's the first draft design of my smoke system. Should work out ok. I plan to wrap the oil tube around the cylinder head once before entering the muffler canister. I'm working on an "improved" design of what I saw in a recent FLY RC article about a DIY smoke system/muffler. In the article the author crimped the end of the smoke tube and tapped it with an abrassive wheel on a dremel tool to create a small opening which will atomize the smoke oil. I did basically the same thing, except I flattened the end of the tube and cut a slot deep enough to open a small pin hole in the tubing. The idea is that it will atomize the oil much like the FLY RC design but the two fingers should retain additional heat which should help vaporize the oil. Worst case senario, the fingers dont do anything and I just get the same function as the design I'm trying to improve....
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:39 PM
Trees are our enemy
Joined Jul 2007
111 Posts
Heres the tube with the end flattened in the first picture...
Second picture shows the slot cut into the flattened end...