SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:54 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post

I heard rumours it wasn't being produced anymore because of the mSRX version! But im sure I can hunt it down somewhere.
Yes, it's been discontinued for quite some time... almost a year. I bought mine used. But, like already mentioned, some places might be sitting on NOS ones. They show up here in the classifieds almost daily for 60-80 bucks.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yes, it's been discontinued for quite some time... almost a year. I bought mine used. But, like already mentioned, some places might be sitting on NOS ones. They show up here in the classifieds almost daily for 60-80 bucks.
Show's how much I know. I'm quite disappointed as I thought I had found the perfect heli and the mSRX doesn't really tempt me at all.

As I'm in the UK I would be a bit concerned about getting parts as well for the mSR even though there still seems to be plenty about

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
You can get those in the qualifieds all the time for 40-60$ depending if RTF or BNF, condition and provided spare parts ...
Yeah I will take a look but I was really after a new one but even now I know it is definitely discontinued I think the hunt it on for something else. As much as I would like something that was similar to my 120SR, maybe something like the mCX will be enough to get my fix when flying outside is not possible.

Any other micro single rotors that people can think of that may have some similarity to the 120SR.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Actually I might go for a second hand mSR lol Seen one in the classifieds.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:59 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
Quote:
Show's how much I know. I'm quite disappointed as I thought I had found the perfect heli and the mSRX doesn't really tempt me at all.

As I'm in the UK I would be a bit concerned about getting parts as well for the mSR even though there still seems to be plenty about

Yeah I will take a look but I was really after a new one but even now I know it is definitely discontinued I think the hunt it on for something else. As much as I would like something that was similar to my 120SR, maybe something like the mCX will be enough to get my fix when flying outside is not possible.

Any other micro single rotors that people can think of that may have some similarity to the 120SR.

From the general rotor setup there would be the Xieda 9958 and the SH6034 (I think its 6034, might be 6032 ... one of them is a coax)
The disadvantage with those is, that they are NOT compatible to DSM(2) protocol, so you would have to use the proprietary TX. This however is a less annoying disadvantage IF you were using the stock SR120 TX (stupid joypad version). However, if you use a DX6i or better to fly the SR120, THEN the proprietary TX will turn out to be a major PITA!!!
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,687 Posts
The Great Wall Xieda 9958 is essentially an mSR "inspired" clone. It is in many ways similar to the mSR. It is what got me started into 4ch fixed pitch flying. I still love that little guy. While its Tx is not compatible with the Blade line, it is every bit shaped the same as the MLP4DSM that comes with the 120SR RTF. So, you would feel right at home there.

The biggest advantage of the 9958 is cheap replacement parts. Most part costs about $1. The cons of the 9958 is that you can't walk into a LHS to get a replacement part. Sorry for the OT discussion, if you want to read more about the 9958, there is plenty of reading here and here.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Quote:

You shouldn't have to worry about getting parts for some time. Horizon Hobby carries the parts for old things for a long time. They still have parts for the mCX and the S300 which went out of stock about 2 years ago. I've got a CP Pro which is not sold now, either, but lots of parts available.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
454 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. Going to have to give it all a big think over now but don't really like the idea of having to get another tx when I will probably be upgrading it soon. I will keep an eye on second hand mSRs for the time being.

On another note I seemed to have lost the big gear on one of my servos and as im replacing one servo anyway as its had it. I am using the big gear from that but it has one of its teeth missing and when you spin it you can feel the tiny bit of friction(wrongness) as it goes over the little gear.Will this really cause any major problems as I doubt I can buy just the gear without buying an entire new servo?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:33 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:

Will this really cause any major problems as I doubt I can buy just the gear without buying an entire new servo?
It can cause the servo to lock up leaving you no control. It might even pull excess current if the motor is still trying to turn it when it locks up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:29 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post

They still have parts for the mCX and the S300 which went out of stock about 2 years ago. ...
MCX RTF is actually still a currently produced and distributed item... saw 'em at my LHS yesterday

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=EFLH2200

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...x-rtf-EFLH2200
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:44 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,322 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. Going to have to give it all a big think over now but don't really like the idea of having to get another tx when I will probably be upgrading it soon. I will keep an eye on second hand mSRs for the time being.

On another note I seemed to have lost the big gear on one of my servos and as im replacing one servo anyway as its had it. I am using the big gear from that but it has one of its teeth missing and when you spin it you can feel the tiny bit of friction(wrongness) as it goes over the little gear.Will this really cause any major problems as I doubt I can buy just the gear without buying an entire new servo?
http://www.wowhobbies.com/eflh1068re...rfhxmh-35.aspx
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:28 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
that is too small Jake! (only mSR size ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
that is too small Jake! (only mSR size ... ...)
I don't know if 120SRfan is talking about his 120SR or his msr

As he says in the second paragraph.."On another note"...
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Are those servos different sizes? I gave my mCX away, but I thought the difference was the length of the throw.

The part number for the "Replacement Servo Mechanics: 120SR" is BLH1066B and the part number for the mSR "Replacement Servo Mechanics: Short Throw" is EFLH1066...

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:57 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,321 Posts
Something similar to the 120SR?

Quote:

If you want something similar to the 120SR, look at the Nine Eagles 328A. It's a clone of the 120SR as far as I can tell. Following SaxGuy's lead I've replaced broken parts on my 120 with the 328A's parts. So far I'm using the canopy, main blades and mainframe. The holes for the landing skids need a little boring out to fit 120SR stock gear and the tabs under the 5-in-1 board have to be clipped off for it to fit the 120's board. Also the upper canopy mounts don't stick out as far as the stock 120's mainframe. The 328s are built-in plastic, not removable CF rods. The price is right if you can put together an order from Miracle-Mart to make up for the shipping cost.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:15 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,245 Posts
I think me means a ultra micro size heli that's similar to his 120sr. (i.e. mSR etc.)
RCG Plus Member