Old Apr 10, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by Rick T.
United States, CA, Trabuco Canyon
Joined Aug 2008
2,102 Posts
Discussion
Fixing aileron with 5200

Attaching aileron with 5200
After a bad landing my P51 suffered some damage. Since the wing is carbon and has the ailerons built in, one tore at landing among other things. What I am going to try for the first time is attaching the aileron using 5200 silicone. Below you will find photos of the plane.

Since the other aileron is still fine I would like to shore that one up as well.

Is there anyone out there who has done this and can help, if so an explanation and photos would greatly help, also will 5200 melt blue foam.

Thanks
Rick
Rick T. is online now Find More Posts by Rick T.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by josh18
608 km/h!
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,964 Posts
Hey Rick, here you go. I haven't used 5200 before but from what I have found, any polyurethane based sealant works really well. I don't think it will melt the foam, but best to check on some scrap first.
Silicone Hinge Demonstration (8 min 19 sec)
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Apr 11, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by sll914
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,307 Posts
The 5200 won't hurt the foam.

Tape the surface back in position, and make sure it doesn't bind anywhere. I like to use a fairly stiff tape because as the 5200 cures, it can try to pull the surface down a little sometimes. I don't think you need to worry about making a gap between the surface and the wing, just line up the trailing edge at each end and tape the hinge securely so you don't get any bleed under the tape.

Now open up the surface completely so you can easily work inside. Whittle down a stir stick to a flat end about 2-3mm wide. Use this to apply a little 5200 at a time starting at one end and spreading it as you go. Make sure your application overlaps roughly 2mm on each side of the hinge gap. The goal is to spread the 5200 very thinly so there is no significant buildup of thickness but just an even coverage all along the hinge. You can unfold the surface periodically to see from the outside that the 5200 has filled the gap onto the tape. Now fold the surface the other way (closed). As you open the surface again, look to see if the 5200 has squished out from the gap. If so, then that means you're probably putting it on too heavily. Spread it a little thinner and check again. If you go too heavily, the hinge will be too stiff and the control surface might shrink down and cause a bump or step after curing. If you want to go just a tad heavier for the first 1cm at each end, that'll help keep it from coming undone again without making the hinge too stiff overall.

When you're done, tape the surface flush. I also like to tape something sturdy and flat to the wing over the gap opposite the hinge. This will help prevent the surface being pulled down as it cures.

After a couple days, it should be good to go. I usually just leave the tape on there for insurance but if you're careful, you can remove the tape and the hinge will be fine.

BTW- Make sure you use '5200 fast' or it will take about a week to cure.

Don't have any photos but hope this helps...
sll914 is online now Find More Posts by sll914
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,102 Posts
Sll

Thank you for the step by step instructions. Being my first time along with the wing being carbon I want to take my time and do it right. Today I am going to either Lowes or Home Depot for a syringe. So, later today will silicone the hinge. After I repair the aileron my next big step will to repair a carbon wing that that got a little crushed upon impact on landing, that should be a major challenge in itself.

Thank You Sll914
Old Apr 12, 2015, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,102 Posts
Spencer

Sorry I did not know it was you....Thank You....Well it is done. Taped the ends so the aileron is completely level and I can see the 5200 through the tape. Now it is time to wait and see. I am sure if I need to do it again, it will be better, not as super clean but so far I am happy. If it works without any binding I am happy.

Thanks
Rick
Old Apr 12, 2015, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,102 Posts
Well it is complete, everything seemed to go well, a little stiff but I am sure that will work itself out. At least it is now a hinge. Next step will be to cut off 2 inches of the carbon wing from damage caused by landing and replace with a piece of balsa.

Spencer, Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by sll914
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,307 Posts
Glad it worked out Rick! It doesn't take much 5200 to get the job done. If you find its too stiff, you can open it fully and lightly score the thickest spots with an exacto to relieve some of the tension. Leave the ends alone though.
sll914 is online now Find More Posts by sll914
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,102 Posts
Spencer

Good to know, So far it is a little stiff but the aileron still deflects up and down to the maximum whether on low rate of high rate.

The other repair I started was to cut off aprox 2 inches of the wing tip, then made a new tip out of 1/2 balsa and 1/2 bass for the leading edge. Glued them altogether and rough sanded just as a start. New step will be to epoxy the balsa tip to the wing, sand, primer, paint and that should do it.

Thanks so much I enjoy learning new techniques.

Take Care
Rick