Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
11,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Just put a resistor in the power lead.

You could work it out, by measuring the current you're getting now and guesstimating the voltage drop across each LED (red, amber or green = about 1.6V, blue or white maybe 2.5V), or you could just try different resistors, e.g. start with 1k and work up or down til it looks about right.

You'd probably need one rated for at least 1/8W, maybe 1/4W, if it's a single resistor feeding the whole lot.
Yes, I think that 1/4 will be necessary depending on how I decide to wire it. I've done quite a few planes with series resistors for each light and it was quite the pain in the tail (there are 14 lights per plane on the first one I did... that was a lot of magnet wire...) I also have a lot less room to work with here so I'm thinking single resistor. Depends on the rest of the circuitry and if I can get a PCB prototyped.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Yes, I think that 1/4 will be necessary depending on how I decide to wire it. I've done quite a few planes with series resistors for each light and it was quite the pain in the tail (there are 14 lights per plane on the first one I did... that was a lot of magnet wire...) I also have a lot less room to work with here so I'm thinking single resistor. Depends on the rest of the circuitry and if I can get a PCB prototyped.
Hobbyking has a cheap light kit with all the bells and whistles, its meant for 1\10th scale, but if you de-case it, use smd leds, and thin gauge wire (try to avoid magnet wire on cars because it doesn't soak up vibrations as well and it will eventually break) it should fit well enough. I fitted one of these kits to my 1/24 trail trekker with great success

Edit

LOSI Trail Trekker With Spotlights and Functioning Indicators (2 min 37 sec)

Now I remember I could only get the indicators to function with the stock losi electronics because the esc is built into the RX. However if you were to swap out all of the electronics you could get the light kit to function to its full potential
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jun 16, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by Mochanic
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Love the chassis plate, and the bell ranks. That's some sharp engineering work. What thickness is the carbon fiber stock? You'll have to let us know how it all performs together!
Thanks! Will do...

3K CF 1/16" (1.6mm) From eBay (about $19 shipped 200x300mm) Enough to make about 6 chassis plates at this scale. I use Gibbscam for the design layout, then send it to a Haas VF4 CNC mill (accurate to .0002"). Makes very precise yet short work of it. The only thing that's not very fun is tapping sub 2mm holes!
Mochanic is offline Find More Posts by Mochanic
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:53 AM
Joined May 2012
11,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochanic View Post
Thanks! Will do...

3K CF 1/16" (1.6mm) From eBay (about $19 shipped 200x300mm) Enough to make about 6 chassis plates at this scale. I use Gibbscam for the design layout, then send it to a Haas VF4 CNC mill (accurate to .0002"). Makes very precise yet short work of it. The only thing that's not very fun is tapping sub 2mm holes!
Thanks for the details. Interested in selling any chassis kits?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by Mochanic
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the details. Interested in selling any chassis kits?
I might be able to do a few here and there, but lately I've been super busy at work and no down time at all on the CNCs, so it's hard to say how many or how often I could do them. Let me finish mine up first and we'll see what I can do then.

I can tell you that I really like this scale the best out of everything I've ever had, so I will probably be doing a lot more cool stuff with them in the future, I just wish a name brand company would get interested in manufacturing fully customizable kits without all the plastic compartmentalized chassis' crap and let the customer put their own electronics in them from the get go.
Mochanic is offline Find More Posts by Mochanic
Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:34 PM
Joined May 2012
11,745 Posts
Yeah I agree... But it's hard enough to find ANY rc car it seems that isn't rtr. I built my first from a kit 15+ years ago, a Losi XX-T. Still have that thing too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,150 Posts
Black star hobbies in the US used to sell complete CF chassis kits with aluminium accessories too.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please ignore....... for now