New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by grnbrg
Still a n00b.
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,624 Posts
Mini-HowTo
LP5DSM (Blade CX2 tx) adapter for USB sim cable -- Wiring diagram.

While I don't have a Blade CX2, or the transmitter for it (LP5DSM), I have seen many posts asking if it can be used to control a simulator, and many other posts detailing the problems people have had doing so, and a few posts explaining what needs to be done. And almost no pictures.

So I got tired of searching for a simple explanation of how to make an adapter, and made one myself.

The problem with the trainer port on the LP5DSM is that if you plug a mono 3.5mm plug into it, it short circuits the battery in the transmitter. In technical, electrical terms, this is what is known as a Bad Thing. Since most, if not all of the inexpensive USB adapters that let you use a transmitter to control a sim end in a mono plug, this is a problem.

Fortunately, it is a problem that is easily solved with $10 in parts from Radio Shack, or perhaps less, if you have an old headphone extension cord lying around... You need a 3.5mm headphone socket, and a 3.5mm stereo plug, and a short length of 2 conductor wire...

Simply connect the tip contact from the socket to the tip contact of plug, and the base contact to the base of the plug. The middle "ring" contact of the plug should not be connected to anything. A fancy diagram:

Hope that helps.

grnbrg.
grnbrg is offline Find More Posts by grnbrg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by wrinkleydms
Joined Nov 2009
1 Posts
Hi, thanks for the info re plug change, which won't blow the TX up, but will it work on a heli?
There have been a number of posts which make me doubt it.
cheers David
wrinkleydms is offline Find More Posts by wrinkleydms
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by yakky
Joined Mar 2015
25 Posts
Man, I wish I would have read about this before I let the magic smoke out of my LP6DSM. Time to warm up the soldering iron.
yakky is online now Find More Posts by yakky