HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2004, 09:58 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Engine Recomendations for 106" Aeronca"

Hey guys,

Going to be aquiring a 106" Aeronca already built and covered. Not sure on the Manufacturer or any other details as of now. Do know that it was flown with a 4 stroke. I have some experience with 4 strokes, but would really like to put a gas engine in it or maybe a twin 4 stroke. I have tried searching any "Aeronca" and come up with the Bud Nosen kit. Does anyone else know of anyone else who may have made the Aeronca? I think this plane is also a 2 peice wing design. I want to get into scale and want a nice slow floater but can also handle a large engine for extra power and some fun.... Any suggestions on engine size or what your flying would be great....

Thanks
Chris

Hey BILL sorry for the spelling!
Monstermanhbf is online now Find More Posts by Monstermanhbf
Last edited by Monstermanhbf; Oct 31, 2004 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2004, 01:26 AM
Joined Feb 2004
155 Posts
Over the years I have seen everything from a Zenoah G-23 to a Homelite 25 to a Quadra 35 or Zenoah G-38 power a 1/4-scale Aeronca Champ. I have also seen Saito or OS 120 singles as well as OS 120 or 160 twins used when the owner wanted 4 stroke power. It's up to you, as the Champ doesn't seem to be very fussy about what powers it!
Bill Hawthorne is offline Find More Posts by Bill Hawthorne
Last edited by Bill Hawthorne; Nov 01, 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2004, 01:37 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Aeronca

Thanks for the reply Bill. I think that I am going to wait the engine part out until after I get the plane and get it flight ready. I'd really like to put a gas or twin 4 stroke in it though. I've been reading the build threads to some of the other larger scale models in this section and there really a great help! I think once you go "big" you'll never go back! Cant wait to get the Aeronca!!

Thanks again for the help
Chris
Monstermanhbf is online now Find More Posts by Monstermanhbf
Old Nov 01, 2004, 02:28 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Chris, I've built several of the Nosen kits (both the Champ and the Citabria) and I can tell you from experience that the Q-42 is the absolute best choice for it/them.

The G-23 will fly it, but it will be noticeably underpowered. For scale like airbatics, go with the Q-42/US-41.

Be careful to balance the aircraft properly and make it just a little nose heavy for the first few flights. That's a short coupled aircraft and can be twitchy if the CG is aft. Once you get used to it, move the CG back a little and it will do some respectable airbatics.
Also for the same reason, don't drag it in on landing or go too nose high on take off. I've seen other people tip-stall them in if they get sloppy near the ground.

You're right about the "never go back" thing.
You'll quickly get used to NOT having to wipe several rags of slime off the bottom of your gas aircraft as opposed to the glo fuel powered planes you've been flying. And you'll also find that flying the big ones are a lot more fun (oh, and more expensive to fix when you break 'em).

Highflight
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight