HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
Discussion
How to: Specktrum Radio DX7 replace switches

I dropped my radio and broke two, two position switches. I could not find a "how to" so here goes:

1. Go to radio shack and buy replacement switch, 275-635
Name: DX7-2.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 155.5 KB
Description:

EDIT: Make sure the battery is removed before taking apart your radio! (as 66 points out below)

2. Open the back of the radio, with the 4 screws, and the secret, two more hidden behind the rubber grips as shown in picture.
Name: DX7-4.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 134.6 KB
Description:
Name: DX7-3.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 190.7 KB
Description:

3. De-solder and solder in new switch
Name: DX7-5.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 118.0 KB
Description:

4. Turn the radio on, and check to see the position of the switch is correct.
Name: DX7-1.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 154.4 KB
Description:

You're done!

Caution, SERVICING (not just opening) your radio voids your warranty. And freechip brings up a good point, to make sure nothing else it wrong with your radio. In my case, I've been flying with it for a month and no issues, so I think I'm good.)
guytimes is offline Find More Posts by guytimes
Last edited by guytimes; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guytimes View Post
Caution, opening your radio voids your warranty.
Thanks for the useful instructions, but this last point is not correct. What the warranty actually says is the following, with relevant bit in red:

What is Not Covered
This warranty is not transferable and does not cover (i) cosmetic damage, (ii) damage due to acts of God, accident, misuse, abuse, negligence, commercial use, or due to improper use, installation, operation or maintenance, (iii) modification of or to any part of the Product, (iv) attempted service by anyone other than a Horizon Hobby authorized service center, or (v) Products not purchased from an authorized Horizon dealer.

You can open the back. Just don't mess around modifying or servicing things. In fact, my experience has been that as long as the modifications haven't caused the problem you are seeking to have fixed under warranty, the HH service people don't object.

Note that the manual says: "Always power off the transmitter, disconnect
and remove the battery before opening the transmitter case."
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:04 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,286 Posts
Very cool but also understand that many would rather have the radio serviced by the right people as they would also perform a full system check to ensure nothing else is wrong with the radio.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
Thanks for the great comments, guys. I edited my post to note your good points.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,717 Posts
Opening the radio is not servicing it. Most radios (not 7s) require you to open the case to adjust spring tension, so this is certainly not a general rule.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Opening the radio is not servicing it. Most radios (not 7s) require you to open the case to adjust spring tension, so this is certainly not a general rule.
I see. So changing out switches is not servicing it either?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,286 Posts
The idea is that opening the radio does not automatically void the warranty, in some case the user is required to do so for example when changing MODE.

What you did is service the radio and/or made repair work yourself, this could void the warranty but like mention previously HH is pretty good when it comes to these things.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip