Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Some super high Def'ness... Don't forget to select 1440p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBaw...ISpbAh7M9SOX5w
Congratulations on the camera/Video upgrade ther IH!

You're presentation of flight was superb!

You have really excelled over time, I can't keep up with you because you are becoming to f----king good, finally! Those Walkera's will keep you so poor replacing the parts!

I gave up Two years ago, & it sits there, with parts to fix it, I don't want to fix it!

I am so happy for you IH that you have now found a electric helicopter that will be dependable for you. You deserve it, & have fun with it, & keep cutting that lawn by the movie theatre to keep your flying area. I am sure that the Business there will not mind you doing that.

Kurt
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 05:12 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Congratulations on the camera/Video upgrade ther IH!

You're presentation of flight was superb!

You have really excelled over time, I can't keep up with you because you are becoming to f----king good, finally! Those Walkera's will keep you so poor replacing the parts!

I gave up Two years ago, & it sits there, with parts to fix it, I don't want to fix it!

I am so happy for you IH that you have now found a electric helicopter that will be dependable for you. You deserve it, & have fun with it, & keep cutting that lawn by the movie theatre to keep your flying area. I am sure that the Business there will not mind you doing that.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt.

Hey listen, I'm going to be culling my fleet soon and one of the helicopters i'm going to get rid of is one of my custom 450s. I thought of you not flying for so long. I think it would make a great heli for you at the stage it is at right now. The only thing is you would need either a Spektrum transmitter or a Devo 7e or Devo 10 with Deviation firmware flashed on it. Of course you'd have to learn the new Deviation firmware too. I only want $200 for it and whatever else i have that might go with it, which isn't much. Let me know if your interested at all.

Oh, and BTW, it's not a new camera. It's the same camera I've been using. I just usually don't use it at it's maximum like that last video. Two reasons. 1. Because at max i can only use wide angle lens with no zoom at all. and 2. Because the compressed .mp4 files don't preview very well on my laptop. Which is a I5 Core processor, so that makes no sense. But for whatever reason the high res videos don't play smoothly on my laptop and i can't edit them because my editor won't output in 1440p.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 11, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:11 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2014
34 Posts
Wow. This is really long lasting thread.
I just got x5 fes blue canopy.
Almost done put it together.
Gotta buy a servo hone for my tail servo.
Then will put my beastx and rx.
Hopefully done soon. Cant wait put it up in d air.
My x3 flys awsome. I got no doubt on x5 flying better.
What size battery good with it.?
I got gen ace 6s 4400mah. Wish it gives good C G.
It it too heavy, big.?? Any suggestion plz..thanks to all.
rchelicar is offline Find More Posts by rchelicar
Old Oct 12, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,341 Posts
Great flying Integrity as always.
That new GoPro really shoots some fine video, you got to be happy with that.
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:42 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
Great flying Integrity as always.
That new GoPro really shoots some fine video, you got to be happy with that.
Yeah man, but my camera is like the 2 year old model too. The Hero 3 Black. It's not even the newer Hero 3+ Black. They are just now releasing the Hero 4 which shoots in 4K. Mine is only 2.7K. I damn sure don't feel the need to rush out and get one, if you know what i mean. I don't even think you can really appreciate 4k video without a 4K TV/monitor. Probably the the same with 2.7k 1440p video. Sure they look sharp and everything. But it's still scaling down to whatever your tv or monitor is capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelicar View Post
Wow. This is really long lasting thread.
I just got x5 fes blue canopy.
Almost done put it together.
Gotta buy a servo hone for my tail servo.
Then will put my beastx and rx.
Hopefully done soon. Cant wait put it up in d air.
My x3 flys awsome. I got no doubt on x5 flying better.
What size battery good with it.?
I got gen ace 6s 4400mah. Wish it gives good C G.
It it too heavy, big.?? Any suggestion plz..thanks to all.

I use gens ace 6S 4400mAah on mine and they balance alright.

What tail box and tail grips came with yours? 3 piece tail box or full CNC? Plastic or CNC grips?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:28 PM
Joined Aug 2014
34 Posts
x5 fes fomular kit. tail

Tail is cnc box and grip. Only pitch slider is plastic.
Very nice and smooth build.
Yes. 4400 gen ace looks little heavy.. i still waiting for tail servo horn.
I gotta check cg after everything on it later.
Thanks.. it relieves some heavy thought off me Since somebody else using same battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah man, but my camera is like the 2 year old model too. The Hero 3 Black. It's not even the newer Hero 3+ Black. They are just now releasing the Hero 4 which shoots in 4K. Mine is only 2.7K. I damn sure don't feel the need to rush out and get one, if you know what i mean. I don't even think you can really appreciate 4k video without a 4K TV/monitor. Probably the the same with 2.7k 1440p video. Sure they look sharp and everything. But it's still scaling down to whatever your tv or monitor is capable of.

I use gens ace 6S 4400mAah on mine and they balance alright.

What tail box and tail grips came with yours? 3 piece tail box or full CNC? Plastic or CNC grips?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2014
34 Posts
formula head

Other Q...mine came with fbl fes head.
And they sell new low profile formula head for $100.
It sits little lower than my stock head.
What u think? Should i get the new head? Is it worth of extra $100?
Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Quote:
Tail is cnc box and grip. Only pitch slider is plastic.
Very nice and smooth build.
Yes. 4400 gen ace looks little heavy.. i still waiting for tail servo horn.
I gotta check cg after everything on it later.
Thanks.. it relieves some heavy thought off me Since somebody else using same battery.
I just installed the CNC tail box and that was about 10g heavier than my old 3 piece tail box. The extra weight balanced the heli a little better. Before that i was probably a little nose heavy still. With your CNC grips and box you should be damn close enough.

Quote:
Other Q...mine came with fbl fes head.
And they sell new low profile formula head for $100.
It sits little lower than my stock head.
What u think? Should i get the new head? Is it worth of extra $100?
Thanks.
I am still using the original head. The problem with the original FES rotor is with the clamping design. In order to clamp the rotor head on the main shaft. You have to tighten down the bolt that holds the swash driver arms on. Here is where the problem is. When you tighten down that bolt too much. It compresses the washers into the bearings of the swash driver arms. Eventually the washers wear out and you can't tighten down the bolt without creating a lot of friction and binding on the swash driver arms.

The new Formula FBL head seems to have fixed this issue by using a different hardware setup. Also the Formula rotor has a pivot bearing inside the rotor for the spindle shaft. This makes it so the pivot point of the shaft is fixed in the middle. Basically it prevents the spindle shaft from teetering anywhere but in the middle. Older style rotors could teeter the spindle shaft anywhere along its length.

Over all, i would say it isn't worth getting the Formula rotor right away. I would wait till you put some wear into your new FES rotor first. Or maybe if you crash the heli or something like that. Basically i would plan to get it later, as it isn't very necessary. Though, I would get the new upgrade Formula tail pitch slider system if yours came with the old X5 lite plastic slider. The newer arch and wheel setup is very nice. But thinking about it now, I've never seen a newer X5 kit come with the plastic slider, did you get yours used or something?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:36 PM
Joined Aug 2014
34 Posts
No..... I got brand NEW box x5 fes furmula body kit.
Tail is all cnc. One piece tail box, grip evrything cnc. Only 2 grip linkages, pitch slider bottom part( black L shape part) is plastic.

Oh Gooood.!! Thanks for the info about 4400mah batt.
I tried the batt today, it fits inside formular canopy good n balance looked ok.
I got tail servo arm today. I want to finish the electronics soon.

Thanks for ur help. !!! U GUYS R AWSOME. Helibrothers.!!
Last edited by rchelicar; Oct 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:43 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Quote:
No..... I got brand NEW box x5 fes furmula body kit.
Tail is all cnc. One piece tail box, grip evrything cnc. Only 2 grip linkages, pitch slider bottom part( black L shape part) is plastic.

Oh Gooood.!! Thanks for the info about 4400mah batt.
I tried the batt today, it fits inside formular canopy good n balance looked ok.
I got tail servo arm today. I want to finish the electronics soon.

Thanks for ur help. !!! U GUYS R AWSOME. Helibrothers.!!
Oooh, yeah that is the right stuff. Though some people have had that slider's brass bushing fail causing a tail spin and crash, myself included. Which is why a lot of people switched to the new upgrade arch and wheel slider system. But honestly, i have flown literally a thousand + flights with that original CNC slider, so it's only a problem if you get one of the random ones that fail
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2013
320 Posts
Well I had my first crash, that shinny new nickle finish is gone... so it's time to beat on it!

Last flight of the Day The X5 ripping it up! (4 min 30 sec)

I was not shooting video for the crash flight, I was flying with a buddy, and I tend not to shoot video when people are around?

The damage was really light, my tail hub came loose while doing low piro flips, I broke blades, and bent a mast, stripped a gear, and smashed up my sweet ass canopy.

I had a set of Align 520s I got off a bud, they are really nice, I like them better than the Gauis that came with it!
mini guy is offline Find More Posts by mini guy
Old Oct 23, 2014, 06:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. That is never fun.

I also tend to not strap a camera on my head when people are around. But I am usually alone when i fly anyway.

I like the stock X5 blades. I'm pretty sure they are OEM Century RotorTech. I also like their colors. But the last time I wasn't able to get the stock blades so i got RJX 520mm instead. I didn't notice much of a difference between them and what i was used to with the Gaui blades. If anything i think the RJX blades probably are a little more crisp and snappy on the collective.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 09:28 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Well i blew out a set of front TT gears this morning. I didn't have the camera running. But i was doing some tight funnels at a fairly high speed. My spotter says "Those are some nice funnels" then he tells me he looked at me for a second to see my hands and then looked up and my heli was on the ground. While doing the funnels the tail just broke loose and started spinning. I cut the throttle right away but i was so low and already in a semi-knife's edge orientation that when the tail started spinning it was already almost on the ground.

Damage wasn't too bad. Those TT gears were stripped raw and the main gear stripped too. I broke some tail boom support rod tips from the original support rods. Those are cheap. I also broke my landing skids and the two pitch links broke the tips. Main blades were mangled and the tail vertical fin was broke. But i think the boom and TT are ok. The battery ejected and threw my canopy off too. Both my battery straps broke in the crash allowing the battery to eject. The canopy only got a few paint and surface cracks... I really liked that canopy too
Old Nov 14, 2014, 09:17 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,254 Posts
Gaui X5 - 1334 (3 min 29 sec)

Gaui X5 - 1335 (3 min 49 sec)

Gaui X5 - 1340 (3 min 42 sec)

Gaui X5 - 1341 - Best flight all week - 11-04-14 (4 min 6 sec)