HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:13 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
ok so what prop should i buy for the beast based on the previous beast and what performance difference can i expect with the new prop?

I also have a micro cub that barely gains altitude.....Hope this one is better ; )

-Dave
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
ok so what prop should i buy for the beast based on the previous beast and what performance difference can i expect with the new prop?

I also have a micro cub that barely gains altitude.....Hope this one is better ; )

-Dave
Dave,

The optimum prop will have to be determined once the new Beast is in our hands, as it uses a different motor & ESC than the original. Same goes for the performance. Props are cheap. Pick up a 5030 & 5043. Try them & see which one works best for you. It is also possible that the stock prop may be the best performer. Remember that quality packs will be even more important with the new Beast, due to the increased current.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:55 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,068 Posts
Turboparker,
I ran across your blog today searching for aftermarket battery options for the Beast.
Now, in reading in this new Beast thread I noticed your post about a different motor and esc.
I was thinking of going with 1S 180s in series (since I have so many already), but now I'm wondering what impact a different motor may have on my choice.
Any thoughts at this point until we get our hands on one?

Thanks!
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:22 PM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
817 Posts
A Beast 3D at my local indoor meet.

UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic with AS3X Technology by E-Flite (7 min 1 sec)
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,390 Posts
This is akin to going from Analog to HD TV. Lol. In other words once you see (and feel) the smoothness (and resolution) in the response of this plane, it will make you notice even more those that don't. You'll begin to notice the twitchiness of most RC planes due to winds and how toyish it makes them look even in Youtube/Vimeo videos.

(This is coming from my experience with using heli gyros on planes...probably much less refined than the AS3X).

Anyhow, another awesome video! Starting at 3:15 would be a good example of that "on-rails" flying, at least visually.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Dec 06, 2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:21 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,381 Posts
I have mine pre-ordered through A Main Hobbies and they are giving an ETA of December 15. I hope they come in sooner than that. It is a Christmas present from the fam but since I cannot get together with them this year they are just having it sent to my house from A Main. Early Christmas for me, sweet!
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
Turboparker,
I ran across your blog today searching for aftermarket battery options for the Beast.
Now, in reading in this new Beast thread I noticed your post about a different motor and esc.
I was thinking of going with 1S 180s in series (since I have so many already), but now I'm wondering what impact a different motor may have on my choice.
Any thoughts at this point until we get our hands on one?

Thanks!
Woody,

In the original Beast, a pair of Hyp 180 'M' cells on Glenn's series harness was only down 100 RPM as compared to a plug & play 2s pack made from bare Hyp 180 cells. A pair of 'M' cells + Glenn's harness weighs ~0.5g more than my homebrew Hyp 180 2s packs.

Given that the new Beast draws more current, there will likely be a bit more loss in the harness + connectors, but it shouldn't be a large difference. Given that the Beast 3D & Sbach use the same motor & prop, it would probably be similar to flying the Sbach on a pair of 180 'M' cells + Glenn's harness.

The setup will likely perform as well as or better than the factory 180 mAh 2s pack, so you should be fine.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 30, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awood12345 View Post
A Beast 3D at my local indoor meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a4XN6ZhNRU
Thanks for sharing. Sammy likes his inverted harriers I see! Those were ver nice and showed off the Beasts abilities.

I'd still like to see someone put it in a hover and hold it there without torque rolling.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:50 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
That's a great video, I like how we get to see it flown by two very different pilots, thanks for sharing. I don't think it would replace my RCF Edge for indoor but it would still be a nice addition to the fleet.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:16 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,625 Posts
Loved the vid.

For me, the tail slide @ 2:09 was the bees knees!!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:03 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Loved the vid.

rc
Me too!! That was the best tail-slide I've ever seen from a UM ship! In terms of fuselage-lengths, it rivaled the tail-slides of many larger planes. I might nail 1-2% of my tail-slide attempts with the V1 Beast, if I'm lucky - and only for 1-2 fuse-lengths, at best.

I'm even more anxious to get my hands on the sticks after watching that video!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:36 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,328 Posts
Wonder if anyone will work up some 'gates' to install between the wings, like the 4-site uses, to kill some forward speed -- it is still rather zoomy for indoors, it seems...
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Loved the vid.

rc
Yea... That was pretty cool. I'd love to also see some flat spins and death slides too!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Wonder if anyone will work up some 'gates' to install between the wings, like the 4-site uses, to kill some forward speed -- it is still rather zoomy for indoors, it seems...
TN,

You could probably slow it down quite a bit by using the Hyper Taxi's 5.5x2 prop. The larger prop disk & flatter pitch will act as a larger speed-brake on downlines, and it should also be great for slow 3D. The Beast 3D uses the same motor as the HT, so loading shouldn't be an issue. Prop clearance on my Beast when level is 3/4" with a 5043. So, you'd still have 1/2" of clearance with the 5.5x2 prop. I bet it would be a real stump-puller on the Beast 3D!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 08:31 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
TN,

You could probably slow it down quite a bit by using the Hyper Taxi's 5.5x2 prop. The larger prop disk & flatter pitch will act as a larger speed-brake on downlines, and it should also be great for slow 3D. The Beast 3D uses the same motor as the HT, so loading shouldn't be an issue. Prop clearance on my Beast when level is 3/4" with a 5043. So, you'd still have 1/2" of clearance with the 5.5x2 prop. I bet it would be a real stump-puller on the Beast 3D!

Joel
Interesting! All kinds of ways to tune and tweak these little critters.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob