HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
Thanks Nitro, I was a bit worried at first
Does the thrust really go up to around 65g when in the GP airframe as some have reported in the Sabre thread?
If I cant get 65g out of these units I'll have to scrap the idea of using them in a twin Mig 29 or F15 (unless those airframes are less heavy than I planned for).
But why go with smaller fan units???...This plane was made for 35mm fans and 30mm is a HUGE downgrade percentage wise...(Just think---A 10% smaller size is only 3.5mm...And we're talking larger downgrade than that...)

You will have to neck down the exhaust to get the most out of the 30mm units even on 3S...Too much work for marginal performance in my opinion...I fly my 35mm MiG 15 on 4S for big grins...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But Fred---The amp #'s don't lie...Amps are amps are amps...It is what it is...Maybe the motor doesn't heat up but the ESC is screaming to PLEASE QUIT!!!...I'm curious to see what the J-Power motor would do with an AEO 40mm fan...

Kevin
Amps are Amps, but remember the old Speed 400 Brushed motors on a 5"x5" Propeller ate about 11-12.5A, on 7 NiCd's or 8 NiMh and was rated at about 55%-65% efficient. They would fly a 1 pound airplane well, at about 60-67mph, but it could be a challange to get them on step (like some EDF's we have all had). That was when we needed 65 watts/lb to just stay in the air, 75 watts/lb to pull loops, and 100/lbs watts was awsome. So these were doing 100+ watts input, and say 60-70 watts out. So where did all the rest go, brushes, heat, wasted energy somewhere, eveywhere.

So I brushless, but when a tiny motor pulls 12 Amps on a 30mm fan, and doesn't put out as much thrust as other fan/motor combos, it seems it must be an effieciency issue? Right?????

But I could see a test of the cool J-Power motor on a 40mm unit, seems like it might just be a pair made in heaven. I would start with 3 cell though! But here is the question, if it's a GWS type rotor, would you go 3 or 6 blades!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
But I could see a test of the cool J-Power motor on a 40mm unit, seems like it might just be a pair made in heaven. I would start with 3 cell though! But here is the question, if it's a GWS type rotor, would you go 3 or 6 blades!

Fred
I'm going to test a Jpower motor in a GWS 40mm fan and see what happens. I'll try a 6 blade impeller and a cut down 50mm 3 blade. If it works, it would be a light weight setup for sure. I have a feeling that it would be a 2s setup though. My usual setup is a 5800 kV inrunner on 3s. A 9000 kV motor should spin it pretty well on 2s.

There is also the possibilty of a 30mm fan on 4s too.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Amps are Amps, but remember the old Speed 400 Brushed motors on a 5"x5" Propeller ate about 11-12.5A, on 7 NiCd's or 8 NiMh and was rated at about 55%-65% efficient. They would fly a 1 pound airplane well, at about 60-67mph, but it could be a challange to get them on step (like some EDF's we have all had). That was when we needed 65 watts/lb to just stay in the air, 75 watts/lb to pull loops, and 100/lbs watts was awsome. So these were doing 100+ watts input, and say 60-70 watts out. So where did all the rest go, brushes, heat, wasted energy somewhere, eveywhere.

So I brushless, but when a tiny motor pulls 12 Amps on a 30mm fan, and doesn't put out as much thrust as other fan/motor combos, it seems it must be an effieciency issue? Right?????

Fred
Yep---It's all about experimentation to see what works in the real world or not...Sometimes we are surprised at the combos that do work...

Personally, I wouldn't bother with trying to get a 30mm fan to work with these planes...These planes work very well with the 35mm fan but on at least 3S for decent performance...Decent performance meaning that the plane will easily perform large loops from level flight...But again, I subscribe to the "more power is better" crowd...I expect a jet to perform as such, not needing to pitch the model down to gain enough speed for a decent loop...

My Art Tech 30mm Sabre flies well on 4S which is more than the 3S recommendation...If I had the fan I would upgrade to a 35mm fan for more thrust...Thrust is what is needed to get a heavy plane moving...Velocity from the fan (spinning the fan at a higher RPM) is what is needed for speed...Due to the airframe sometimes the values between thrust and velocity are a compromise...

Again, it's experimentation that allows us to see what works in the real world, or not...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I'm going to test a Jpower motor in a GWS 40mm fan and see what happens. I'll try a 6 blade impeller and a cut down 50mm 3 blade. If it works, it would be a light weight setup for sure. I have a feeling that it would be a 2s setup though. My usual setup is a 5800 kV inrunner on 3s. A 9000 kV motor should spin it pretty well on 2s.

There is also the possibilty of a 30mm fan on 4s too.
This is a great test I will love to see your results on for sure. I have this gut feeling it may be a great system for weight to power and consumption. The J-power moter is a good one.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
35 mm 5 blade fans back in stock at hobbyb.com
verkair is online now Find More Posts by verkair
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
It does, but I don't see it making anywhere near the difference in amp draw that was observed. For example, that same 5 blade rotor using a Jpower motor is under 6A on 2s vs. 20A with the AEO motor. Considering how small the Jpower motor is compared to the AEO, It makes me wonder why such a huge difference with reasonalby similar kV ratings. ie; 9000 kV vs 11000 kV In fact, the Jpower setup on 3s is still less than half the amp draw as the AEO on 2s.
Ahh, I see what you were saying now.
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
we can take off without that
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
green_flyer - there's always the option of 3S
Thanks for testing on 3s, its good to know the option is there. Airframe hasnt arrived yet, my guess is it will be 70g, which will put me at 140g all up. In the meantime I'm having fun hunting around for small pudding pots at supermarkets for the GP fan shroud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
But why go with smaller fan units???...This plane was made for 35mm fans and 30mm is a HUGE downgrade percentage wise...(Just think---A 10% smaller size is only 3.5mm...And we're talking larger downgrade than that...)

You will have to neck down the exhaust to get the most out of the 30mm units even on 3S...Too much work for marginal performance in my opinion...I fly my 35mm MiG 15 on 4S for big grins...

Kevin
I agree, playing around in the Jpower F86 duct the size difference is huge. However my perspective is, lower the weight and you need less thrust to acheive 1:1. The GP fan seems particularly efficient so I wanted to give it a go. For example I weighed my F86 airframe with almost all the bits and I'm at 75g, so it looks like with the GP fan I can make a Jpower 35mm EPO jet lighter than the E-flite Mig (and not too far off the GP Sabre as well)

p.s. I am cheating by using parkzone Cub guts & 1.5g linear servos
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
820 Posts
I ordered the F18 airframe only from hobbyb.com and I didnt get a canopy! it says plastic parts arent included so I guess its plastic, can anyone confirm this? also its not listed on that site, any ideas?
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,892 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the f-86, and I am not sorry! I utilize a walkera transmitter, and the small recievers they use in their helicopters use the molex connectors, so it was an easy thing to put one in. Only one problem, the wires had to be swapped from one side to the other, so the signal wire would be correct. I used a pin to depress the connector tab, and they swapped out easily enough. I flew it stock, and it seems to fly really well for such a tiny aircraft. I am fairly new to EDF aircraft, and even I can fly this little guy! I am not so sure I want 3s so soon, though....maybe some time, but if I want to go fast, I can just fly my Komet!!! I am presently wading through this thread, so I can see what mods are popular. Gonna take a while. Anyway, I like it, and I am hooked!!!!-------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
I ordered the F18 airframe only from hobbyb.com and I didnt get a canopy! it says plastic parts arent included so I guess its plastic, can anyone confirm this? also its not listed on that site, any ideas?
Sorry forsakenider, it was our mistake. The canopy should have been included in the F18 airframe set. Please email us your detail at service@hobbyb.com and we will send the missing canopy to you ASAP.

Nick
www.hobbyb.com
www.hobbyb.com is offline Find More Posts by www.hobbyb.com
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.hobbyb.com View Post
Sorry forsakenider, it was our mistake. The canopy should have been included in the F18 airframe set. Please email us your detail at service@hobbyb.com and we will send the missing canopy to you ASAP.

Nick
www.hobbyb.com
Awesome service right there.

I will now be placing my order through you instead of another supplier due to this very post. That and joe talked me into one of those 50mm with his review
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post

I will now be placing my order through you instead of another supplier due to this very post. That and joe talked me into one of those 50mm with his review
Agreed! That's the kind of thing I've been harping on in another forum. Here is a perfect example of cheap prices and great customer service. It is perfectly understandable that mistakes can and will happen with any vender. How the vender responds and deals with issues speaks volumes about their integrity.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post

I thought the same thing about the CS.
Trying to give Nick some of my money, but the Screamer PNP didn't come back into stock.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I thought the same thing about the CS.
Trying to give Nick some of my money, but the Screamer PNP didn't come back into stock.
I too am waiting on the pnp kit I just hope the bare frame doesnt go out of stock before the pnp kit comes back as I want to order both at the same time lol.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz