HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricked View Post
No, reset doesn't work.

The battery circuit seems to be the only working thing, the red light turns on when usb plugged, and it turns off when charged. But that's all... it can't be switched on, the computer can't see the usb device, neither the power button nor the reset work. Probably it was just bad luck, other people seems to report no problems with the firmware.
Try to load the "Date On" bin-file back on cam. Had the same problem and it worked for me, and it worked for another person in this thread. See post #462 for reference.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If the USB plug is terminated like the car charger, allowing it to both power the camera and charge the internal battery, that should give not quite three times the normal recording time (120 minutes) if you start with a fully charged internal battery. All hypothetical, of course.
The USB plug on my emergency charger is terminated like the car charger, i.e. the pin4-modification. No glue is used to isolate Pin 4 and 5 in the back part of the Mini USB , instead some kind of "sticky paper" (?!) in between those pins. Pin 2 and 3 are missing in the back part, though they are present at the front part. They were probably cut off or they broke. Pin 1 is present but not connected.

See attached pic (bad photo i know, shot with a #3).
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:27 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Thanks Tom,

That was a normal to light crowd. I've seen twice that amount there. I like to call the main sport flying area the foam blender..... Crunch!!!! Heli's in one goal zone, blender in the main field, 3d and micros in the other goal zone.

The thing I always forget when shooting video with these cams is how quickly you accumulate LOTS of footage and how long it takes to look at it to edit it down. Add in the 1/2 speed filter and you learn to be brutal in editing.

I did learn how to produce an HD video from WMM.

I'll be interested to see the AVI HD Keyfob cam Chuck calls #12.

Now that I have some video to work with I'll keep experimenting with my ultimate noob set up.

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Feb 02, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:42 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Tom,

Have you tried both Any Video Converter and Freemake for converting MOV to AVI?

I just tried AVC and it looks better to my eye. It takes longer to convert than FM but I swear it's better. I don't know how to do an A/B test in the same window with two AVI files.

Here's the Youtube upload of a test with each converter. I didn't use any brightness or speed editors for this test file. Just the raw video converted in each converter.

What do you think? Select the Youtube link to view this in HD.

AVC vs FM Test.wmv (1 min 24 sec)

Joe
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:55 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Thanks Tom,

That was a normal to light crowd. I've seen twice that amount there. I like to call the main sport flying area the foam blender..... Crunch!!!! Heli's in one goal zone, blender in the main field, 3d and micros in the other goal zone.

The thing I always forget when shooting video with these cams is how quickly you accumulate LOTS of footage and how long it takes to look at it to edit it down. Add in the 1/2 speed filter and you learn to be brutal in editing.

I did learn how to produce an HD video from WMM.

I'll be interested to see the AVI HD Keyfob cam Chuck calls #12.

Now that I have some video to work with I'll keep experimenting with my ultimate noob set up.

Joe
I start to feel "cramped" with just two other planes flying the same time as me, and that's OUTDOORS!

There's more info on that "#12" in the chucklohr.com site. It's definitely not for me, and the only thing it offers that's an advancement is the (reportedly) video out plug... just what FPV fliers have wanted. It can drop down to 720x480 and 640x480, but still at only 30 fps, instead of an anticipated 60 fps. But with 30% dropped frames, the video is VERY jerky, and with MJPEG compression codec, the files will be close to twice as large as the ones from the HD key cam for the same recorded time, so flash memory will need to be about twice the capacity to hold the same amount of video. And the video has the same lens vignetting issues... all for an approximate price of $60 delivered!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 03, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:34 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tom,

Have you tried both Any Video Converter and Freemake for converting MOV to AVI?

I just tried AVC and it looks better to my eye. It takes longer to convert than FM but I swear it's better. I don't know how to do an A/B test in the same window with two AVI files.

Here's the Youtube upload of a test with each converter. I didn't use any brightness or speed editors for this test file. Just the raw video converted in each converter.

What do you think? Select the Youtube link to view this in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhQOzIVRlw

Joe
Hi Joe,
Yes, I've tried them both. It all depends on the settings you use for the conversion. Freemake will greatly degrade your video if you use the default preset settings. Maybe you missed this earlier post of mine where I pointed this out and gave the fix? Once you get them both using the same settings, they do pretty much an equal job. Freemake can invert videos, where AVC cannot, but if you want a .WAV file of the audio for use in Doppler Speed programs, AVC can do that but Freemake cannot. I like the file trimming editor in Freemake better than AVC, which wouldn't merge clips for me as it's supposed to. Freemake merges, but you can't save or re-arrange sections like AVC could if it worked as described.

Quite honestly, my favorite, AviDemux, can just as easily (for me) and capably do the conversion (all require re-encoding), but it has the power these two do not to correct the flaws and enhance the video at the same time.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 03, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:58 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
339 Posts
Joe, Tom et al,
I was curious what you guys thought of "Pazera Free MOV to AVI converter 1.2"

It's a batch converter, mov to avi or mpg. It has many output options with additional control of Bitrate and FPS (or auto), 2 pass encoding or not and ability to convert only audio, only video or both. Audio section has selections for bit rate, sample frequency, mono or stereo. Advance settings for resolution and cropping.

What do you guys think of this free program?
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:02 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
339 Posts
I've seen references in this thread for WMM to output in HD. I have WinXP Pro with WMM version 2.1.4........ I don't seem to have a HD output. Do any of you know which ouput setting I would use that would be comperable to HD output?
Robbie
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:27 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
I've seen references in this thread for WMM to output in HD. I have WinXP Pro with WMM version 2.1.4........ I don't seem to have a HD output. Do any of you know which ouput setting I would use that would be comperable to HD output?
Robbie
You're two versions of the OS out of date, so you don't have an HD setting. The best you can do is select the "best for showing on PC" setting, or whatever it was called.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 03, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:14 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Joe, Tom et al,
I was curious what you guys thought of "Pazera Free MOV to AVI converter 1.2"

It's a batch converter, mov to avi or mpg. It has many output options with additional control of Bitrate and FPS (or auto), 2 pass encoding or not and ability to convert only audio, only video or both. Audio section has selections for bit rate, sample frequency, mono or stereo. Advance settings for resolution and cropping.

What do you guys think of this free program?
It does an adequate job of converting if I "force" the output bit rate to 7000 kbps to match my original source video. It does not give you an option that high in the drop down box, but you can pick one and type in 7000 to replace it.

But, it has no editing ability, so that limits it in comparison to some of the others we've looked at here.

And when I tell it to convert using the original source video stream (i.e. no re-encoding, it too, like all the other conversion programs, will not produce an .AVI file that can be displayed/edited. So I think this one also uses the same core library modules and just adds it's own user interface. It does have a lot of option settings, which some find too busy or confusing. I found it easy to configure and use, though.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:05 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Try to load the "Date On" bin-file back on cam. Had the same problem and it worked for me, and it worked for another person in this thread. See post #462 for reference.
Actually usb or card reader or adapter all work for date/time...Ive tried them all on 3 different cams and all work exactly the same...Revised time/date
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:35 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Tom,

Morning..... lol. We need a hobby....

Yup I used your post and those setting for Freemake. When I ran the clip through both converters AVC took much longer to convert.

I do like the simple editor functions in Freemake so I guess I'll use that for when I mount the Keyfob upside down. I would love to use Avidemux but I get those blocks in my vids no mater how I set it.

There must be a magic combo I'm missing. My Laptop is a Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, and a # NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS with 1.0 GB GDDR3 SDRAM machine. I thought it was up to the task but tech moves on. Funny how a $50 HD Cam set up has me considering moving to Apple when I upgrade.

I'm not really a computer guy I just look at the specs when they get in my way. I'm my bumping around with these converters I did see my raw files right from the #11 cam had a bit rate of about 6500 so that's what I set Freemake and AVC to when converting. I see your cams are producing video at 7000bps and other reported higher rates.

What controls the bit rate the cam is shoots at? I'm using the cards you linked. Is there variation from card to card?

BTW, that crowded feeling when flying is the reason I love flying in the blender. In the summer we fly H9 sized warbirds in packs of 5-8 That made me really nervous, until I spent a season in the blender. It taught me to track others in my periphery and forced me to feel comfortable with lots of planes in the air. With the big guys we work on not crossing silhouettes and it works well. The ultimate goal for me with the cam is to get it into the middle of some of these packs or track them from in front or behind in the air. I have mounts for my H&M FW-190 am creating them for my VQ-Hurricane plus I grabbed 3 Eyepod kits from Richard.

I think I need to work on getting air to air shots to see how things look. In my videos so far the closest shot are my hand held shots of the Heli. In my air shots I find myself looking at the building and people on the ground. But I should d be looking at the quality of other aircradt in the video. I'm slow but I'm learning...

By the time flying season gets here I should be a warbird video machine

I hope.

Thanks for your guidance here. It really helps me with my steep learning curve when it comes to this stuff.

Joe
Last edited by Joespeeder; Feb 03, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:49 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Jan 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
I'm my bumping around with these converters I did see my raw files right from the #11 cam had a bit rate of about 6500 so that's what I set Freemake and AVC to when converting. I see your cams are producing video at 7000bps and other reported higher rates.

What controls the bit rate the cam is shoots at? I'm using the cards you linked. Is there variation from card to card?
Joe
My #11 camera has 6500-7000 kbps by defaut with 8 Gb SDHC A-data class 6. Than I did the firmware update with the non date stamp one, and the camera was able to record all videos @ 10.2 Mbps (~10200 kbps). So if you want higher bitrate you have to update the firmware and remove the stamp using this Instructions for turning the timestamp on and off and the driver.
Good luck!
ShinG0 is offline Find More Posts by ShinG0
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Keep it simple & short

Thanks ptg for your Tic Tac box idea. That's exactly what I needed to help keep the mud out of my keycam.

Here's another short (:60) video test of HD keycam. I have applied video process to hold down the sea sickness effect. I hope to get the gyros on my SkySurfer dialed in soon so I can send unprocessed raw video to show the true video quality of this little gem. It's no GoPro, but for $39

Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:43 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tom,
There must be a magic combo I'm missing. My Laptop is a Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, and a # NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS with 1.0 GB GDDR3 SDRAM machine. I thought it was up to the task but tech moves on. Funny how a $50 HD Cam set up has me considering moving to Apple when I upgrade.

I'm not really a computer guy I just look at the specs when they get in my way. I'm my bumping around with these converters I did see my raw files right from the #11 cam had a bit rate of about 6500 so that's what I set Freemake and AVC to when converting. I see your cams are producing video at 7000bps and other reported higher rates.

BTW, that crowded feeling when flying is the reason I love flying in the blender. In the summer we fly H9 sized warbirds in packs of 5-8 That made me really nervous, until I spent a season in the blender. It taught me to track others in my periphery and forced me to feel comfortable with lots of planes in the air. With the big guys we work on not crossing silhouettes and it works well. The ultimate goal for me with the cam is to get it into the middle of some of these packs or track them from in front or behind in the air.
Joe
hmmm... your laptop sounds like it should have no problem. Does AviDemux produce that same blocky video with the indoor clip you just posted? I don't have any desire to switch to Apple... not nearly as much open source free ware and other software, and they have their own problems as well.

The 7000 kbps bit rate I mention is the approximate total bit rate, including audio. My actual video bit rate is similar to yours... I just set my video bit rate a little high to make sure I don't degrade the original any more than necessary. The camera video processor controls the bit rate, but the card can affect the recorded video if it can't write the data fast enough (usually producing dropped or duplicate frames).

I'll watch for some of that in flight video you plan to do. It's very hard to capture video of other planes in the air, I found.
Closed Thread